Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-01-2020, 12:17   #1
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
James Allen - IGI Certification

Hi everyone,

So I proposed to my now fiancée a while back with a promise ring. I am now looking through getting a nice engagement ring for her. I have been looking at on-street Jewelers and looking at online Jewelers, and the online Jewelers seem to be giving me the best bang for my buck.

So my question is, has anyone ever used the website "James Allen", and if so, did you get a natural diamond or lab created diamond? I am leaning towards getting a lab created diamond as they seem to be the best value for money.

Also, is there much of a muchness between IGA and IGI certified diamonds? All of their lab created diamonds are IGI certified.
cr-07 is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2020, 14:33   #2
woodchuck
Moderator
 
woodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,159
I can't offer any advice about James Allen, but I just wanted to ask if you've talked to your fiancée about whether or not she'd prefer to buy a ring in person or online? I know myself, I didn't have much of a clue what type of ring I wanted. It was only when I started trying them on that I started to get a feel for what I did/didn't like and what did/didn't suit my hand.

Just thought it was worth a mention in case yous haven't had the conversation!
woodchuck is offline  
07-01-2020, 15:05   #3
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I can't offer any advice about James Allen, but I just wanted to ask if you've talked to your fiancée about whether or not she'd prefer to buy a ring in person or online? I know myself, I didn't have much of a clue what type of ring I wanted. It was only when I started trying them on that I started to get a feel for what I did/didn't like and what did/didn't suit my hand.

Just thought it was worth a mention in case yous haven't had the conversation!
Thanks for the concern. We have indeed. I got her to show me multiple rings she likes, along with viewing in store as well. I'm going to 'pick' the ring, and buy the one upon her approval We feel that we can get a much better ring online, and James Allen seems to have the best reviews and the go-to place for buying online. The rings and stones they have on their website are double the price in store.
cr-07 is offline  
Thanks from:
08-01-2020, 14:05   #4
SozBbz
Registered User
 
SozBbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,549
Blue Nile is the other big online diamond retailer.

I've no experience with them but might be worth looking at. I know they've been mentioned a few times on this forum so people really do buy from them. Not sure if they do lab grown though.

I imagine the difference is really down to prestige/resale value/perceived rarity. Its not like a diamond ring is really anything other than sentimental anyway.
SozBbz is offline  
08-01-2020, 17:49   #5
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Ok, so I have decided to take the plunge, comes to just over €4000, along with a VAT charge of €1000 on arrival. Feel kind of settled as there is a 100% 30 days return policy.

Anyone that is real read up on diamonds and jewelry know if this is a good deal?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER SUMMARY (Order#: 111111)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Item # 111111
Platinum Petite Pave Cathedral Engagement Ring [Size] 5
Size: 5
Inscription: ********
Inscription Font: Palace Script MT
Price: €1,299.00

Item # 111111
Lab-Created Princess 1.39 carat F VVS2 clarity diamond IGI
Price: €2,887.00

Tax: €0.00
Shipping: €0.00
Wire Transfer (1.5% Off): (€61.00)
Discount: (€93.00)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: €4,030.14
Total: €4,031.58
All funds displayed in Euro.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
cr-07 is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2020, 10:46   #6
SozBbz
Registered User
 
SozBbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr-07 View Post
Ok, so I have decided to take the plunge, comes to just over €4000, along with a VAT charge of €1000 on arrival. Feel kind of settled as there is a 100% 30 days return policy.

Anyone that is real read up on diamonds and jewelry know if this is a good deal?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER SUMMARY (Order#: 111111)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Item # 111111
Platinum Petite Pave Cathedral Engagement Ring [Size] 5
Size: 5
Inscription: ********
Inscription Font: Palace Script MT
Price: €1,299.00

Item # 111111
Lab-Created Princess 1.39 carat F VVS2 clarity diamond IGI
Price: €2,887.00

Tax: €0.00
Shipping: €0.00
Wire Transfer (1.5% Off): (€61.00)
Discount: (€93.00)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: €4,030.14
Total: €4,031.58
All funds displayed in Euro.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Couldnt say, obviously its a lot cheaper than a minded diamond from a typical Irish retailer but no real idea as to value.

Why dont you search for a similar stone on blue nile/elsewhere online for comparison?

Also is that €1000 because its coming from outside the EU? Is there not an EU alternative or like Blue Nile (who are American) but have a set up here (in Blanchardstown I believe) to enable them to sell freely into the EU market?
SozBbz is offline  
13-01-2020, 12:58   #7
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Blue Nile don't do lab diamonds, and their earth diamonds are considerably more. Yeah, that is what the €1000 is for, they don't have a store within the EU (as far as I am aware). I chose James Allen as they seem to be very reliable with great reviews.
cr-07 is offline  
02-03-2020, 16:45   #8
Rx713B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr-07 View Post
Ok, so I have decided to take the plunge, comes to just over €4000, along with a VAT charge of €1000 on arrival. Feel kind of settled as there is a 100% 30 days return policy.

Anyone that is real read up on diamonds and jewelry know if this is a good deal?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER SUMMARY (Order#: 111111)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Item # 111111
Platinum Petite Pave Cathedral Engagement Ring [Size] 5
Size: 5
Inscription: ********
Inscription Font: Palace Script MT
Price: €1,299.00

Item # 111111
Lab-Created Princess 1.39 carat F VVS2 clarity diamond IGI
Price: €2,887.00

Tax: €0.00
Shipping: €0.00
Wire Transfer (1.5% Off): (€61.00)
Discount: (€93.00)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: €4,030.14
Total: €4,031.58
All funds displayed in Euro.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, how did you get on -

I am on the fence as to whether or not to order from them ?
Rx713B is offline  
11-03-2020, 10:43   #9
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Sorry about the late reply, only seeing this post now. Got on great, absolutely delighted with the ring, it is stunning! I got it appraised from an Irish jeweler just last week and they gave me a value of the ring being worth €5,625.00. Along with the savings, every other jewelry store I have looked in does not have a rock the same size and quality as the one I have received, atleast not for the price I paid. Pm me if you want and I can send you a picture of the ring.

P.s. I also ordered our wedding bands (rings) from BlueNile if you want to check them out. Made a killing on savings from there aswel, along with getting very good quality rings. I also got these appraised and was given an appraisal much higher than what I have paid.

Irish jewelry stores, for the most parts, are an extreme rip off. I would definitely recommend buying from either online store mentioned above, although is does remove some of the 'romance' of buying a ring in store, but sure if that is your thing then just do a bit of ring shopping on the high street, find one that you like, and then order a similar one online as there is a vast number of options to choose from online.

Hope this comment helps, and best of luck with everything.
cr-07 is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2020, 16:40   #10
Michellenman
Registered User
 
Michellenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,249
So it was appraised for €5625 but earlier in the thread you said you paid €4000 + €1000 vat so €5000? Seems like a lot of work for not a significantly higher value... We bought my ring abroad (not online) as well but it was appraised for more than twice that it cost which made the effort worthwhile.
Michellenman is offline  
Thanks from:
18-03-2020, 19:28   #11
cr-07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellenman View Post
So it was appraised for €5625 but earlier in the thread you said you paid €4000 + €1000 vat so €5000? Seems like a lot of work for not a significantly higher value... We bought my ring abroad (not online) as well but it was appraised for more than twice that it cost which made the effort worthwhile.
Well I managed to somehow avoid the €1000 VAT.
cr-07 is offline  
18-03-2020, 20:45   #12
Michellenman
Registered User
 
Michellenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,249
No way! Happy days!
Michellenman is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet