Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2020, 10:36   #1
Hamsterchops

Recycling: Is it a Con?

CHANNEL 5 TV
Recycling: Is It a Con?

Paul Connolly and Jean Johansson investigate potential swindles. Are councils and the big name supermarkets being as environmentally friendly as they claim?

Channel 5 tonight, for those of you who have Free To Air (FTA) Television, or FREESAT Television.

Today 11/March 2020, Time: 8:00 pm - 8:59 pm
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2020, 10:36   #2
eastie17

Kinda, I know of a bin company in the south who bale all the recycling together irrespective of clean, dirty etc and it goes on, literally, the slow boat to china.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 10:42   #3
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie17 View Post
Kinda, I know of a bin company in the south who bale all the recycling together irrespective of clean, dirty etc and it goes on, literally, the slow boat to china.
I thought China had stopped taking "recycling" from the West a few years ago?

I too wonder about it all.... I bring mine to a waste facility where I can throw plastics and paper and metals all together, another one I occasionally go to separates plastics from paper from tin/alu...... and I saw all the lovely colour-separated glass bins locally being dumped by crane into the giant skip lorry (the skip may have been internally divided, but I seriously doubt it).

Would make one very sceptical about it all, really.....
Thanks from:
11-03-2020, 13:35   #4
Del.Monte

Recycling is a badly organised shambles despite what the Repak people would have you believe. Apart from anything else, immediate urgent action to ban all sorts of plastics, place deposits on tins, bottles etc. is needed.
(3) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 23:25   #5
two wheels good

I typed a reply starting in a positive tone but after a few paragraphs I was too dejected and overwhelmed.

I don't think it's a con. There are genuine companies operating in the industry and they are effective. But there are unscupulous dealers involved too.

Generally I think the scale of recycling is so far behind the the scale of consumption that at best the result can never be termed a success. But what's the alternative?
Advertisement
11-03-2020, 23:34   #6
elperello

Recycle is the last option of the three Rs

Reduce , Reuse , Recycle

Only when you have applied the first two options to everything you buy should you use the third.

Not saying it's easy but every little bit helps.
(3) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 23:48   #7
BorneTobyWilde

Recycling is usually sorted by machines for the valuables, ie tin cans, aluminium cans, cardboard, newspaper, ect, rest is baled and shipped out to sweden to power their power station, or used in our own waste to energy stations.

Anything that burns is great for making power.
12-03-2020, 00:00   #8
MintyMagnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
Recycle is the last option of the three Rs

Reduce , Reuse , Recycle

Only when you have applied the first two options to everything you buy should you use the third.

Not saying it's easy but every little bit helps.
Fourth R ... Refuse

If you can refuse to buy unnecessary stuff in the first place you don't have to worry about the other three Rs
Thanks from:
12-03-2020, 13:48   #9
two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyMagnum View Post
Fourth R ... Refuse

If you can refuse to buy unnecessary stuff in the first place you don't have to worry about the other three Rs
I learned that additional R from this forum.
I think a large segment of the population pay no attention to the first three R's and believe they can consume at will as long as they implement the final R - Recycle.
I've always liked vintage - before it was called vintage.

The economy is constructed around mass over-consumption.
"It is easier to imagine an end to the world than an end to capitalism."
Articles on mass extinctions and bio-diversity collapse are more frequent and more worrying.
How pessimistic will I be after a few weeks of cabin fever?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2020, 14:24   #10
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyMagnum View Post
Fourth R ... Refuse

Absolutely.
Buy less crap
(3) thanks from:
12-03-2020, 15:05   #11
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
Absolutely.
Buy less crap

And pick up less crap - years ago I was beating this into my kids. Thinking specifically of Argos, Ken Black catalogues and the like.
16-04-2020, 20:35   #12
Johnboy1951

I am saddened by the lack of facilities for the re-use of otherwise discarded material/devices.
Lots of functional electric/electronic equipment is deliberately broken up for the precious metals from circuit boards etc.
They could easily be re-purposed/reused but I guess the recycle centres would lose a revenue stream.

I would like to see mandated that each recycle centre have a re-use section for a range of stuff, and only after some period of time there would that 'rubbish' be moved into the recycle centre proper.
Prior to that people should be encouraged to reuse what is there and drop it back when no longer of use.
(3) thanks from:
16-04-2020, 20:39   #13
Grumpypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post
I thought China had stopped taking "recycling" from the West a few years ago?

I too wonder about it all.... I bring mine to a waste facility where I can throw plastics and paper and metals all together, another one I occasionally go to separates plastics from paper from tin/alu...... and I saw all the lovely colour-separated glass bins locally being dumped by crane into the giant skip lorry (the skip may have been internally divided, but I seriously doubt it).

Would make one very sceptical about it all, really.....
It used to go to China on big dirty boats, now it goes to poor Asian countries and just gets dumped, ends up falling into the water and destroying the environment.

When you weight it all up a landfill here prob has less impact overall. But sure once we can't see it it's not happening.
(3) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 00:55   #14
Fiatx19

Recycling is a con in my opinion. We used to have one council truck collect the waste. Now we have 9 trucks, 3 different waste companies with general, recycling and compost.

The recycling used to be sent to the far East to be thrown in the sea to destroy marine life. Now it's probably going into landfill.

The only way to solve the problem is to stop manufacturers/shops wrapping things in so much packaging but that's not happening...
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2020, 08:48   #15
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatx19
Recycling is a con in my opinion. We used to have one council truck collect the waste. Now we have 9 trucks, 3 different waste companies with general, recycling and compost.

I wouldn't say it's a con, but waste certainly is a big problem, I'd imagine we re consuming far more nowadays with the increase in availability of goods, but I do see your point in the increase in the amount of waste trucks, that alone is probably offsetting any environmental savings done by recycling. I think you d be naive to think all recyclables are actually recycled, but I'd imagine some are. I'd also completely agree with putting pressure on our producers of our goods, to reduce the overall amount of materials produced, particularly harmful single use plastics
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion