Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New glasses and eye strain...

• 10-03-2020 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭

How long does it take to get used to new prescriptions?

These (2 pair - long distance and reading) are much stronger than my last prescriptions (and from a different optometrist). Feels very strained and headachey and....quite dizzying :( (walking in them is a no go).. What hurts the most (when wearing them) is this odd eye pulling sensation... So much that 5 minutes is the maximum wear time. Does anyone have experience with a pulling sensation, when you get a new pair of glasses? It's awful.

I asked the optician about it, their reply was "we made them as indicated, so if you have an issue, tell it to your optometrist - we are under no obligation if the doctor diagnosed your astigmatism incorrectly." ...(so it sounds as if this has happened before.)

I called the optometrist office and asked if the prescription is supposed to eye-pull like this, and the receptionist said off-hand "the doctor gave you the prescription you said was correct 'in the chair' so we can't help you - return your glasses to the optician if you aren't happy with them." .......that is not what I asked, but I suppose I got my answer. :rolleyes:

150 (which I cant replace) down the tubes... with no answers, suggestions, adjustments, nor responsibility accepted by the "professionals."

If I try to wear them, because I have very little choice if I want to see anything (like busses or reading), do you suppose eyes adjust to the pull? I am not really asking medical advice, as I figure the answer was probably in the opticians "astigmatism theory"...just wondering, anyone else have experience with this? ... and does it get any better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

There should be no eye strain, you need to bring the glasses with you and get your eyes retested. Something similar happened to me and they had the wrong lense in, a hand written script wasn’t accurately transcribed into the computer. No charge, go back with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thanks for the advice SKill, I shall try that!

Even if they wrote the script wrong, it's not like I can replace the new glasses - another 150 just isn't in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

There should be no charge. Forget about the receptionist, the optician will want to sort this for you, first thing they'll do is retest you eyes with and without the new glasses. The optician most certainly won't want to send someone away without them being happy, I wouldn't worry about any charges. Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement