Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPSTD Group Resources in Ireland

• 01-01-2020 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello all,

- I have recently been diagnosed with CPTSD - Complex post-traumatic stress disorder.

- I have been looking around at support groups / resources in Dublin but there's not much. (Even a search here didn't bring up many results). I am getting treatment etc so all good on that front but would love to share my experience with others.

Anybody know of any groups or if anyone is interested feel free to PM me to meet for a coffee sometime.

Thanks,

K

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't know of any. What did your support team/professional help say?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

CPTSD, it's not a diagnostic term that's been in much use anywhere. It was something used in research groups to define a version of PTSD, caused by long term exposure to trauma, that would be seen in people who experienced for example long term child abuse. The typical GP in Ireland would never have heard of it.

I've never heard of any groups in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I think it was a mistake of the DSM-V not to include CPTSD and I very much hope that GPs have heard of it, not least because it has been included in the ICD-11, which is the system that is more often used in Ireland, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

I think it was a mistake of the DSM-V not to include CPTSD and I very much hope that GPs have heard of it, not least because it has been included in the ICD-11, which is the system that is more often used in Ireland, afaik.

DSM have a weird way of inclusion, that discourages the reporting of what's not in the manual already.

RD Laing's theory on schizophrenia was it was the product of chronic psychological torture. It's probable that chronic trauma causes pathological brain changes. I was looking as something today claiming children's brain scans from traumatic environments indicating unusual brain development.

GPs are not great on mental health.

Advertisement