Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back to Education Allowance 3rd level

• 25-08-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm planning on applying for btea for when I start my third level course. I know the initial qualifying period is 9 months on jobseekers allowence to be eligible which is grand, but what I cant find any information is what the situation is when continuing onto the second and third year of the course. For the summer months when I'm not in college can I work full/part time and still continue with btea when I resume college or what? From the little I've read it seems like I have to meet the initial requirements of being on jobseekers for another nine months before commencing my second year, which obviously makes no sense because there's only 3/4 months gap between each college year. Anyone with any information will be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

You can work 15 hours a week while on btea so I assume that's also during summer months. I'm not 100% sure if you can work more. Best bet would be to check the citizens information website or call into one of their offices and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Once you've been cleared for BTEA your good for it until you finish your course. You don't have to qualify for it again for the subsequent years.

You will get a letter at the end of your first year asking you to sign once a month for the summer months but you should still get your payments into your bank account. You may also be asked to show that your passed the year so that you stay on BTEA over the summer.

I don't know how working full time would affect all of this. I think you'd have to go and speak with them if this is your intention.

Advertisement