Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

open garden centres

• 02-04-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey can anyone tell me if they know of any garden centres open in dublin preferably north or inner city dublin. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They are all closed by order, if you need something it's either in Lidl/Aldi centre isle to buy in person or you'll have to order online and be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

thanks for the reply, might there be a good hardware shop that would carry some gardening stuff? failing that is there anywhere on line what hopefully wont take forever for delivery?

What do you need?

www.gardenshop.ie is pretty good.

https://www.irishplantsdirect.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

nothing particular, some seeds and anything else i might come across to keep me busy in the garden.
    Ive two raised bed and a few growbags which are half full so looking for stuff to fill the rest.
    A bit off topic but ive a greenhouse outside very similar to this one which has power near it.
    id like to grow basil and chillis this year which i already have rowing as seeds inside the house.
    I know i wont have much luck growing these outside but if i put some heat mats or a heater in the greenhouse would i have any luck?
    thanks

https://www.fruugo.ie/small-portable-garden-greenhouse-mini-outdoor-pvc-plastic-grow-house-4-tier/p-32543309-67608897?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4za1cpPzIYOEJzx72T5R8CeoeIh_OARVlf-SlmipNz_J3nOpGxqo5w4aAocCEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What do you need?

www.gardenshop.ie is pretty good.
    they must be swamped. Has been looking to place an order for the last few days but delivery stopped due to demand. Open again for anyone looking so be quick in case it happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

A lot of builder providers will carry gardening kit.

You can get seeds in lidl afaik.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mr Middleton. They are "open" (at least, their website is), but they say that their delivery time is much, much longer than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

New Home wrote: »
    Mr Middleton. They are "open" (at least, their website is), but they say that their delivery time is much, much longer than before.
    It may vary with what you order, but I placed an order for seeds on Saturday and got them today.

Delighted to have something other than weeding to look forward to at the weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Good to know! I was only going by the notice they have on their website. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Are people here for real, can you not plant veg etc later on in May and June or am I missing something here, veg seeds etc dont have a sell by date and gardening is an all year round hobby you do not neec to plant it all in a week anyways nights are too cold you are better off wait and get veg plugs as you can get several hundred seeds in a pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

soundman45 wrote: »
    Are people here for real, can you not plant veg etc later on in May and June or am I missing something here, veg seeds etc dont have a sell by date and gardening is an all year round hobby you do not neec to plant it all in a week anyways nights are too cold you are better off wait and get veg plugs as you can get several hundred seeds in a pack.
    March/April is prime sowing time to have seedlings ready to plant out when the last frost passes.

If you wait until June to plant, you'll be going hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

B&Q are offering "click and collect". Can't say whether or not they have the full range of their garden section on the website, though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

B&Q are offering "click and collect". Can't say whether or not they have the full range of their garden section on the website, though.

Is that for ROI aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Irish website is a joke. Forget about it.

antodeco wrote: »
    Is that for ROI aswell?
    Just had a look and they seem to be only offering click and collect in the UK, but the search results seem somewhat ambiguous and confusing , they say "....can't buy online in ROI, but store colleagues will help when you visit"

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

The Garden Shop is totally swamped and Irish Plants Directs only sells seeds (as far as I can tell)

I just bought a few plants from https://www.gardens4you.ie/ They've got a good selection at the moment but a lot seems to be going out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Didn’t supermarkets used to sell seeds and have handy seasonal hardware sections? Other than Lidl/Aldi. Can you amuse your days by propagating oP - more challenging but less fiddly and more rewarding! Plenty of youtube videos too!

LazyClouds wrote: »
    The Garden Shop is totally swamped and Irish Plants Directs only sells seeds (as far as I can tell)

I just bought a few plants from https://www.gardens4you.ie/ They've got a good selection at the moment but a lot seems to be going out of stock.

Gardens4you operate Europe wide from Netherlands, I've not been impressed with what I've bought. Hopefully you will be more fortunate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Our local garden centre is doing deliveries, probably many more around the country doing the same. Worth calling your local one to check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Trying to get some weed killer and grass seed but trying to figure out where is proving tricky.

Woodies are delivering ‘essentials’ but they don’t seem to be included and it’s impossible to figure out of Homebase or B&Q are doing collect/deliveries here or just the UK.

Local Tesco used to be good for garden stuff but not any more - so no sure what my options are other than to wait

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we passed what looked like a westland delivery being made to the garden centre just down from the coolquay lodge (just off the old ashbourne road between ashbourne and finglas) so it may be worth ringing them to see if they're open, for anyone looking for compost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, anyone in D9 - the childvision garden centre is doing deliveries.
    facebook link is not posting correctly here, but look for them on facebook, else:
    UPDATE We have had a massive response to this post - thank you everyone! We are processing all your queries now. EMAIL only please and we will get back to everyone. Thank you for your patience.

Please note

- window boxes / hanging baskets are available as refills until May as it is too early for summer bedding, the air frost will still kill summer bedding plants! But we can do temporary refills to give you some nice spring colour and get you to May. €16 for standard size and €14 for smaller size.

ChildVision Garden Centre Stock ��MUST GO! ��Closure of our campus has hugely impacted our enterprises and all our garden centre stock must sell. Please share this post on local notice boards ����

We will take orders online at garden centre@childvision.ie or speak to philip on 0858439028. We will deliver free or charge to your door (minimum order of €35 applies) within 2km of ChildVision, Grace Park Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9. All proceeds go to our fundraising department to deliver our essential services to blind and multidisabled children.

��For instant colour we have bushy viola, pack viola and pack pansy ,aubrieta, arabis.

��We have a full range of climbers clematis, honeysuckle, climbing roses and peony roses.

��Hydrangeas ,agapanthus, aliums, lilies and grasses.

��Rasberry fruit bushes with tomatoes and vegetables can be ordered.

��We have a full range of shrubs.

��Window boxes and containers made to order and summer refills available in late spring.temporary refills available now as it’s too early for summer bedding plants

��Half barrel ceramic and terracotta pots all in stock.

��Summer bedding plants are all planted up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

https://www.horkans.ie are delivering. Bit of a lead time but i'd say this is the case everywhere.
    I got about 100kg delivered for the standard €4.90

we passed what looked like a westland delivery being made to the garden centre just down from the coolquay lodge (just off the old ashbourne road between ashbourne and finglas) so it may be worth ringing them to see if they're open, for anyone looking for compost.
    Coolquoy Garden Centre.
    They're only open currently for the sale of solid fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Garden centres & Hardware Stores were closed as part of the moves to restrict movement.
    Legally they can now open under new laws however the government has asked them to remain closed.
    So you might get lucky this weekend.
    I'd say if anybody reopens, they will be swamped with people getting out and buying stuff they couldn't up to now.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bank-holiday-weekend-confusion-as-new-laws-allow-garden-centres-and-hardware-shops-to-reopen-39116286.html

I just checked a local one and they say they are remaining closed until the 14th, I'll keep my eye on that . Mind you it's not a garden centre really other than some tools. DIY and timber really. Woodies have not updated their front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Garden centre at maynooth open. Flowers ,compost, bark etc..queue to be served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ordered Asparagus from Pomona fruits in UK. Ordered 28/3. I contacted them and they said up to 4 weeks for shipping.

Well with the announcement of another fecking three weeks at least the online places are going to get buried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Garden Centres are legally allowed to open from Tuesday but advised not to - talk about confusing.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bank-holiday-weekend-confusion-as-new-laws-allow-garden-centres-and-hardware-shops-to-reopen-39116286.html

Horkans are annoying. I ordered a Wolf Hoe from them, on Monday, as I thought they would be quicker than Amazon. I get an email saying my order is being processed then on Friday another saying the item is out of stock :mad:

Advertisement