Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many fools to change a lightbulb

• 05-10-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Second spotlight in the bathroom is after blowing and I need to change it. It’s not like the ones in the rest of the house with the silver spring thing that pops out. I’ve tried every which way to get the bulb to pop out but to no avail. I think it might be a sealed unit but I don’t know how to take the surround down without leaving a big hole in my ceiling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭adam88

Picture of light fitting.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does the bit in the middle screw out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The circular bit in the middle is removable. If you have a suction cup or a thin blade.

The circular bit in the middle is removable. If you have a suction cup or a thin blade.

I tried a knife to remove it. Might try a stanly blade tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Do you have a suction cup ?

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Do you have a suction cup ?

No. I’ll pop down to a hardware shop tomorrow and get one. At least I’ll hsve it in the house for when the other ones blow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It screws out. Use the tips of you fingers and thumb to turn it anticlockwise. It will give, shouldn't need a suction cup!

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It screws out. Use the tips of you fingers and thumb to turn it anticlockwise. It will give, shouldn't need a suction cup!

There’s absolutely no give in it. If anything is beginning to make the square plate outside of it loose

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

adam88 wrote: »
    There’s absolutely no give in it. If anything is beginning to make the square plate outside of it loose

Agree with the above post, it a screw out fitting. Take you thumb and forefinger and press up on the bulb whilst twisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Never heard of a suction cup removing a bulb. Novel idea though.

• Advertisement

Try it while wearing a rubber glove.

Not your ornery onager

This is a real test of my masculinity lol

joeysoap wrote: »
    Never heard of a suction cup removing a bulb. Novel idea though.

Some of these type of light fittings need a suction cup applied to the outer glass to remove it there by exposing the bulb behind the glass.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads is that not either a GU10 or MR16 lamp.

Where that metal ring is holding in the lamp.

Unscrew the metal ring and the lamp can be removed, it may even drop down.

I don't think it's a lamp that is screwed in.

Might be wrong though.

I thought it looked like an R80.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Impossible to say R80 or not from that pic. OP, turn off light and post another pic:)

So got there in the end. It was a mr 16 that was in a sealed unit. Had to bring the whole unit/casing and get at the bulb from behind.

Just something I noticed when I got it out there seemed to be some insulation foam fell out, normal enough, it’s in the attic after all but it was black as opposed to the normal yellow/creamy colour of it usually ,,,,,, anything to be worried about

adam88 wrote: »
    So got there in the end. It was a mr 16 that was in a sealed unit. Had to bring the whole unit/casing and get at the bulb from behind.

Just something I noticed when I got it out there seemed to be some insulation foam fell out, normal enough, it’s in the attic after all but it was black as opposed to the normal yellow/creamy colour of it usually ,,,,,, anything to be worried about

Heat from the bulb remove the insulation from around the fitting. I'd also change the bulb to its LED equal.

Yip, changed from 50 w to 3.5w.

Advertisement