Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

drilling into drywall

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

my3cents wrote: »
    I've put up a lot of screen mounts for 40 inch flat screens (for advertising) and the reason you need the coach screws is that the holes in the mounts are too big for most wood screws. Without the coach screws you'll need washers under the screw heads.

So put a washer under the screw head. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dodzy wrote: »

Might as well use the coach screws, saves looking for wood screws and washers the OP may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Not the same thing, a lot of strength lost in a big washer on a screw for fixing. I'd sooner drill the new right sized hole for a screw in the frame to be hung if possible. If not I too would use coach screws.

Reading that it looks fair complicated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ah lads, come on. No need to frighten OP with coach bolt syndrome for a 27”. You could safely put 2 screws top and bottom into any bracket and not give it a 2nd thought in terms of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Ah lads, come on. No need to frighten OP with coach bolt syndrome for a 27”. You could safely put 2 screws top and bottom into any bracket and not give it a 2nd thought in terms of security.

I agree but you know how these threads go.. what might be fixable with a bit of superglue really needs to be demolished and built from scratch again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so i went ahead and put in a nail to check - it only goes in like 1.5 or 2 cm or so, i suspect the thickness of the drywall, but wont go any further that, not matter how hard i hammer it. guess its a metal stud?! seriously before i mess it all up i'm gonna get someone who knows his stuff to put the tv on the wall or a bracket board so i can mount the arm on it.

Advertisement