Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best pet hair hoover....

• 05-10-2019 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

We have two dogs, both shed a lot especially our one year old collie/shepherd, who has a a long coat.
    We got an aeg hoover recently, its a good hoover and was 200 euro so not cheap. We moved house one month ago and it just doesn't get the hair out of the carpet in two of the rooms in particular. You are better using your foot to scrape up the hair. It has a small attachment with a spinning head that is for pet hair etc, but even that doesn't do much of a job on this carpet.
    Anyone able to recommend a good alternative? I've heard and read lots of good rev for miele. I've also heard good things on Dyson but I'm not a fan of paying the premium associated with lifestyle brands, it's unjustifiable in my view.
    Any recommendations greatly accepted.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Had a miele but wanted something more easier to move around and got a handheld Dyson when I moved; both work great for (cat) hair. Dyson has to be run in turbo mode for the hardest areas such as the antislip staircase etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Nody wrote: »
    Had a miele but wanted something more easier to move around and got a handheld Dyson when I moved; both work great for (cat) hair. Dyson has to be run in turbo mode for the hardest areas such as the antislip staircase etc.

Is the Dyson cordless? I find cordless just doesn't have the power you need. Agree that hoovers like the miele can be a bit of a workout to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

We’ve the dyson animal v10 cordless. 4 x indoor cats 3 of which are longhairs and it copes well enough. But need turbo on the small head brush to get to those places on chairs etc. The old reliable Nilfisk still has to come out at times for a thorough clean.

I also resort sometimes to using strips of selotape to get the stubborn bits off ! ( no felines were harmed in the use of said selotape )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I love my robot vacuum. I'm WAY too busy (lazy) to vacuum every day and mine (even at the lower end of the scale) saves my sanity.

I've a shep cross and was wading through dog hair when my last robot died. The robot is scheduled to do the house every morning at 9am which sorts out the hair balls that used to live in every single corner/floating around the room like black, oversized tumbleweed.

I love it. Have a Dyson handheld for going over a couple of times a week, for spills and before mopping, but if I had carpets I'd probably get a plug-in. I hate dirt but also hate cleaning - the robot seriously reduces my anxiety about how much dog hair would build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Miele all the way for us. Does your hoover have a turbo head? If not you could maybe try a generic one to give it a boost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I love my robot vacuum. I'm WAY too busy (lazy) to vacuum every day and mine (even at the lower end of the scale) saves my sanity.

I've a shep cross and was wading through dog hair when my last robot died. The robot is scheduled to do the house every morning at 9am which sorts out the hair balls that used to live in every single corner/floating around the room like black, oversized tumbleweed.

I love it. Have a Dyson handheld for going over a couple of times a week, for spills and before mopping, but if I had carpets I'd probably get a plug-in. I hate dirt but also hate cleaning - the robot seriously reduces my anxiety about how much dog hair would build up.

Which robot one do you have? When we eventually get our new gaff( we are in a bidding war atm) my OH promised he’d design the interior with appropriate joinery so I could have one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

em_cat wrote: »
    Which robot one do you have? When we eventually get our new gaff( we are in a bidding war atm) my OH promised he’d design the interior with appropriate joinery so I could have one.

Only an ecovac. Its low on the scale of robot vaccs but I get so anxious about the sheer volume of dog hair that it genuinely is one of the best things I own. You can get more expensive ones that map the rooms etc, and ecovac has an app that allows you to check on it while your on hols/ Alexa will turn it on/off but I dont really need/use any functions other than scheduling.

They're constantly getting better - our last one would batter itself off furniture whereas this one has a far better sensor to avoid hard impacts.

It gets over obstacles fairly well so I wouldn't worry too much about joinery unless you have steps between rooms.

Oh- small dogs are liable to climb on it initially and set off the vacuum button, then find themselves riding a robot. If you can stop laughing hysterically, please train that and send me videos!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Pick up a true touch five finger deshedding glove. It will work on your dog as well as the carpet. Save you changing the hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Only an ecovac. Its low on the scale of robot vaccs but I get so anxious about the sheer volume of dog hair that it genuinely is one of the best things I own. You can get more expensive ones that map the rooms etc, and ecovac has an app that allows you to check on it while your on hols/ Alexa will turn it on/off but I dont really need/use any functions other than scheduling.

They're constantly getting better - our last one would batter itself off furniture whereas this one has a far better sensor to avoid hard impacts.

It gets over obstacles fairly well so I wouldn't worry too much about joinery unless you have steps between rooms.

Oh- small dogs are liable to climb on it initially and set off the vacuum button, then find themselves riding a robot. If you can stop laughing hysterically, please train that and send me videos!

Thanks for the info...

I think I’ll have to train Esmae not to bark at it first. She has a habit of always running outside when I hoover, we think she was trained to do that before we (failed) fostered her.

I meant joinery as in proper storage cause right now we’ve not much so lots of stuff lives on the floor!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

terrydel wrote: »
    Is the Dyson cordless? I find cordless just doesn't have the power you need. Agree that hoovers like the miele can be a bit of a workout to use.
    Cordless V8 and it got enough power and turbo mode for the difficult spots such as the antislip stairs (which are a nightmare as they grab hair like mad). Another benefit for me is because it's cordless you know there's a limit to the amount of vacuuming you're going to do which means little and often rather than forcing yourself to do every area in one go (and since we now live in a three floor house that would be a huge motivation killer!).

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Miele all the way for us. Does your hoover have a turbo head? If not you could maybe try a generic one to give it a boost?

Turbo head is the one that spins? It has a small one of those.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Forget Dyson, overhyped rubbish, having owned a dc41 and a V8 cordless. Nothing compares to the Miele C3 dog and cat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought one of those turbo heads from Lidl (around €20, with other accessories), while another one (slightly different) was part of the Hoover vacuum cleaner (which was made especially to deal with pet hairs) I bought a few months ago - both are pretty good for pet hairs, but both are abysmally bad if you've anyone in the house with longish hair - the hair gets tangled up in the bristles in no time, the rotating brush gets stuck, and you have to dismantle the head to free it. A total PITA, it means I have to hoover twice, first to collect the human hair with the normal brush, and a second time with the pet hairs brush.

Haven't tried the Miele C3, so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

terrydel wrote: »
    Turbo head is the one that spins? It has a small one of those.

Yep a spinning one. We have two for the Miele (one big and one small) but I got one for the old hoover and it made it more powerful...but not as powerful as the Miele! They do get hair wrapped around but it’s easy to cut it off with a scissors and worth it for the job they do! We have mats and runners as well as carpet on the stairs and it does a great job on them. Two retrievers = lots of hair lol

tk123 wrote: »
    Yep a spinning one. We have two for the Miele (one big and one small) but I got one for the old hoover and it made it more powerful...but not as powerful as the Miele! They do get hair wrapped around but it’s easy to cut it off with a scissors and worth it for the job they do! We have mats and runners as well as carpet on the stairs and it does a great job on them. Two retrievers = lots of hair lol

Cheers. We've a small one with our aeg hoover, but its no more than 4-6 inches wide so not enough. Its really only for furniture, seating etc.
    I'll see if its possible to get a bigger one. It does get very tangled up and jammed quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

We used to have a dyson ball and I hated it.. it’s design is shocking, there’s a bend in the pipe and stuff always got stuck there. Have a Henry pet now and love it , or copes with all the dog hair, but also hay and straw (we have Rabbits and run small animal boarding so it’s overworked!) it never gets blocked , wish it was bagless but its a great bit of kit !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Cat hair is the problem here, only carpet on the stairs but I find rubber broom best to get hair off then hoover

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

mymo wrote: »
    Cat hair is the problem here, only carpet on the stairs but I find rubber broom best to get hair off then hoover

Problem solved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Stratvs wrote: »
    Problem solved :D

And my hoover was €40 in Tesco about 5 years ago, has only one wheel and I've lost most of the attachments ðŸ˜

Advertisement