Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robus Ultimum Connect

• 30-09-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Got gifted a few of these lads the other day..

https://robus.com/catalogue/smart-lighting/ultimum-connect

Now firstly I'm not a huge Robus fan.. have found a lot of their gear sub par.. I was impressed with these guys tbh. I took one out and mangled it onto a plugtop and had a go off the app.. can go from sickeningly yellow to surgical white near blue in terms of colour and the dimming is a super job.

Been a few years since I did any house bashing so these are going in my own place once we get the keys. I like the whole fire rating and the fact there wont be any drafts which is super!

Has anyone used them to any great extent? I'm keen on the idea of trying to connect them up to alexa if I go down that road!

'hdz

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Interesting. Essentially a new Philips Hue rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭JL spark

Looks ok , I like the robus gear , any idea on price,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Looks ok. However I'd prefer a central hub. Reason being you've to add each lamp as a wifi device.

I've over 30 Philip's hue lamps, i add lamps to the hub.
    The hub is wired into the network via ethernet
    I can change the wifi password all I want and I'll still have control. My internet connection can go down but internally the hub will still control the lamps.
    Maybe a robus fitting and an ikea or Philips lamp is a better job ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    My internet connection can go down but internally the hub will still control the lamps.

This is an important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

JL spark wrote:

I think there over €50 a pop, pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

JL spark wrote: »

31 ex I paid for them in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Looks suspiciously similar to Luceco, price is insane for what it is. No CRI listed and description says "LM80 SMD or COB LED’s" so you don't even know what you are getting for the price
    hedzball wrote: »
    Now firstly I'm not a huge Robus fan.. have found a lot of their gear sub par..

Robus always seemed like badge engineering to me and a lot of their stuff looks like alibaba badge engineering. I dismantled a couple of robus LED ceiling lights that were causing radio interference last year and the LED driver was the cheapest junk with bottom of the barrel components, no ferrites, filtering or shielding of any kind. No better than a $10 aliexpress unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Looks ok. However I'd prefer a central hub. Reason being you've to add each lamp as a wifi device.

I've over 30 Philip's hue lamps, i add lamps to the hub.
    The hub is wired into the network via ethernet
    I can change the wifi password all I want and I'll still have control. My internet connection can go down but internally the hub will still control the lamps.
    Maybe a robus fitting and an ikea or Philips lamp is a better job ?

Interesting Stoner, so these 30 philip hue bulbs are only using one wifi connection on your network as opposed to completely overwhelming your network? thats what put me off smart lights as i can only accomodate 32 concurrent devices (2.4 ghz devices) at once and im allready at 27. So for instance if i got say 10 Hue bulbs they would only occupy one Signal on my network ie ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Interesting Stoner, so these 30 philip hue bulbs are only using one wifi connection on your network as opposed to completely overwhelming your network? thats what put me off smart lights as i can only accomodate 32 concurrent devices (2.4 ghz devices) at once and im allready at 27. So for instance if i got say 10 Hue bulbs they would only occupy one Signal on my network ie ?

Actually I was slightly misleading

The hue hub is a wired connection to the router so it requires no wifi.

It uses a mesh network, each lamp extends the network. Zigbee. Its independent to the wifi signal in the house. So the hub sets up its own wireless network, that technology is in each lamp to take and repeat the network
    You can add Philips and IKEA smart lamps to the Philip's hub.

They will be half price on black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Actually I was slightly misleading

The hue hub is a wired connection to the router so it requires no wifi.

It uses a mesh network, each lamp extends the network. Zigbee. Its independent to the wifi signal in the house. So the hub sets up its own wireless network, that technology is in each lamp to take and repeat the network
    You can add Philips and IKEA smart lamps to the Philip's hub.

They will be half price on black Friday

Ahhh Ok I see that is the is best explanation i have had of these and i have been keeping an eye on theses smart bulbs years.. so you have a new "zigbee network" and the lights act as a zigbee daisy chain. Thank you very much for that explanation Stoner . ill be putting the Philips hue on my xmas list :D cheers !

• Advertisement
Advertisement