Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SBĚRATEL Fair - A review

• 13-09-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I recently attended the Sberatel collectors fair in Prague, so I thought I’d write a little review for anyone interested.
    For context I’ve only ever attended the annual Stampa show in Dublin and I once went to the London Coin fair. So, for me the size of this fair and the quantity of items available was amazing. There were some banknote dealers that I would estimate had more notes for sale then all the dealers at Stampa combined.

NzXK4sX.jpg

In terms of quantity of items available I would rank them as firstly stamps.

eQtr9bY.jpg

BCesa1b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Then I would say a tie between banknotes and postcards.

uw7pQbo.jpg

VzfqzdU.jpg

Banknotes
    Clm8HSq.jpg

KssTnT1.jpg

S6FXyaO.jpg

Lots of cheap junk notes to be had also. Great if you want to buy in bulk. I love the old Russian imperial 5 and 10 Ruble notes and plan to use them to cover one of my banknotes albums like when your mammy used to cover your schoolbooks in wallpaper. If you look you can get them for less than a Euro each.

ytixiiW.jpg

IAJreFI.jpg

Also, a lot of fantasy notes. I’m not big into them but did get some Matej Gabriš (http://www.gabrisbanknote.com/banknotes-gallery.html ) notes. He had three new notes launching at the fair and a book on his work. I got two of the notes but unfortunately the third was sold out. Got two more of his notes also.

hYxJmlV.jpg

Matej Gabriš' stall
    c5kU1Tr.jpg

The €0 souvenir notes were everywhere. It looked like some younger people were buying them. It would be great if it gets more people into the hobby.

mZSBooY.jpg

FSCIrxq.jpg

Some of them seem to be going for big money!
    LchpRXL.jpg

• Advertisement

Next coins both normal coins and bullion investment coins.

k1JTIrA.jpg

vYT6Mnj.jpg

1f8YCVr.jpg

After that phonecards/bankcards. I don’t collect these, but I was seduced on the day to buy some erotic ones. Unitel Edwardian Beauties, Playboy and some miscellaneous ones. :cool:

4JPr7FR.jpg

vQz6E8H.jpg

I knew people collected phonecards but collecting old bank cards was a new one for me. Some old AIB Banklink cards spotted. Yours for €2 each.

56Kod4B.jpg

Or you could get yourself a gold card, as in a credit card made from gold. Available to apply for on the day. https://www.creditas.cz/real-gold

bLA0sC6.jpg

And finally, other collectibles like share bonds (scripophily). I don’t collect these but did pick up four. They were very cheap, and I love the vignettes along the top. It reminds me of the back of Irish ploughman notes. I’ll frame them and hang them up.

ooI8aOd.jpg

Beer-mats, bottle tops and beer bottle labels. Only one table was selling them.

gqzmLzI.jpg

There were other odd bit and pieces. A stall selling fancy antiques, silverware, porcelain etc.

These little figures, not sure what they were.
    rHfQiPF.jpg

Didn’t get a good pic but there were some other cards for sale. Bigger than credit cards and phone cards. Not sure what they were but they were selling fairly well.

n2xpUkC.jpg

There were a lot of tables for gemstones, fossils and minerals in the same hall (http://www.geosvet-expo.cz/en/). I think Sberatel and Geosvet fair are always held together.

OrMIJpD.jpg

oLbQupM.jpg

• Advertisement

There was also a vinyl and metal music fair in a different room.

i61ntVT.jpg

AIgoH5c.jpg

So, if you are interested the next one is on in March 2020. But it seems to be in a hotel rather than the PVA convention centre so maybe they don’t expect as many dealers.

oxDFvfm.jpg

The haul!

U5Kb64v.jpg

Banknotes
    8pj6ewc.jpg

Cheap €1 banknotes
    XvxsIig.jpg

Matej Gabriš banknotes
    OkLTPh0.jpg
    One autographed by the man himself.

Bonds
    r0fH0jY.jpg

Postcards
    V4GDbIu.jpg

Sexy phonecards
    5icn8ww.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Nice report, looks great. I take it you didn't find any Irish notes or coins then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Very interesting and good to see that many of the dealers/buyers were not old fogeys. Hard to judge from the photographs but how would you rate the public attendance? :)

Blade wrote: »
    Nice report, looks great. I take it you didn't find any Irish notes or coins then?

Did find some Irish notes. Nothing special 10s & £1 Lavery's. Some £1 Series B notes. A £10 Series B note was about the most of it. But wasn't specifically looking for Irish stuff.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Very interesting and good to see that many of the dealers/buyers were not old fogeys. Hard to judge from the photographs but how would you rate the public attendance? :)

The crowds were huge. There were points walking down the aisles when it was genuinely difficult to get to the tables. You had to move on and come back when it was quieter.

This was the queue inside for the special edition notes at reception.

KR4uQEI.jpg

Winds all the way around.

BPUctZL.jpg

and one from inside the main hall;

wQeYkUR.jpg

Advertisement