Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

An interesting thought experiment is: what would be the result of decommissioning the Luas and turning all the dedicated infrastructure into escooter routes?

The Luas has a maximum theoretical throughput of around 1 person every two seconds at peak frequency (3 mins) using the largest trains completely full.

So that'd be a single line of scooterists with 11m spacing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    The Luas has a maximum theoretical throughput of around 1 person every two seconds at peak frequency (3 mins) using the largest trains completely full.
    i think you got that reversed; the luas capacity - max tram capacity of 358 people, 20 times per hour - is 7,160; almost exactly two people per second, rather than one person every two seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

An interesting thought experiment is: what would be the result of decommissioning the Luas and turning all the dedicated infrastructure into escooter routes?

Something I've always thought is how handy it would be if the Green line luas route had a segregated cycle path along the entirety of it. There's enough space, it'd take a bit of reworking the stations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i think you got that reversed; the luas capacity - max tram capacity of 358 people, 20 times per hour - is 7,160; almost exactly two people per second, rather than one person every two seconds.
    Ah yes, thanks. So that's a reasonable density, you'd need to form echalons to give safe separation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Something I've always thought is how handy it would be if the Green line luas route had a segregated cycle path along the entirety of it. There's enough space, it'd take a bit of reworking the stations though.
    I was once told that this was considered but not proceeded with at the planning stage. Extra cost most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I was once told that this was considered but not proceeded with at the planning stage. Extra cost most likely.

Pity, it'd be a lovely trip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've often had the same thought with regard to our train lines in general.

I've mentioned before that if we had the cycle motorways running alongside our train lines (no right of way issues, entrance/exit at train stops only), it would open cycle commuting up to a much greater distance out from cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

problem is e scooter people wouldn't use them on wet days, they would be pushed back on to busses, Dart etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Duckjob wrote: »
    I've often had the same thought with regard to our train lines in general.

I've mentioned before that if we had the cycle motorways running alongside our train lines (no right of way issues, entrance/exit at train stops only), it would open cycle commuting up to a much greater distance out from cities.
    and as i've mulled a few times, a cyle path on top of the embankment along motorways. might not be a pleasant cycle (noise, etc.), but if you lived in blanchardstown and worked in parkwest, it'd be a hell of a lot more of a direct cycle than the other options open to you.
    notwithstanding the engineering challenges of integrating a cycle path without fouling up motorway junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

silverharp wrote: »
    problem is e scooter people wouldn't use them on wet days, they would be pushed back on to busses, Dart etc.
    Some might, but I cycle in torrential rain or snow. The beauty of them is no effort is required, so you can get away with cheapo non-breathable raingear, which is also very protective as it is not breathable. While on a regular bike you would sweat like a pig.

My commute is 20mins on a ebike, last time I drove was 40mins, luas takes an hour, 20min walk to the luas, 25min luas, 10min walk to work, and leave 5mins in case the luas is late. Bus would be over an hour including the walks.

Many people do not factor in the added delays with waits & walking on public transport, some like to fool themselves that it is not that bad. When every I hear somebody say their commute takes say 30mins, and they have to be in at 9am I would ask "oh so you shut he door behind you at 8.30?" and the reply is often "ah jaysus no!!! I leave the house at 7.45 and walk...etc "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't know why people ignore door to door time. They also leave out waiting for a train, bus etc. or changes.
    When cycling people leave out how long to change, unlock the bike, get it out of a shed, cage etc. Have a shower etc.
    For many cycling is regular exercise.

So lots of factors to consider.

Ross telling retailers to inform e-scooter buyers of law is ‘nanny state gone mad’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ross-telling-retailers-to-inform-e-scooter-buyers-of-law-is-nanny-state-gone-mad-1.4006371

while i have sympathy with the retail association's reaction, some retailers have been downright lying to customers about the legalities of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ross telling retailers to inform e-scooter buyers of law is ‘nanny state gone mad’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ross-telling-retailers-to-inform-e-scooter-buyers-of-law-is-nanny-state-gone-mad-1.4006371

while i have sympathy with the retail association's reaction, some retailers have been downright lying to customers about the legalities of them.

And given they can cost quite a bit and the Gardaí can currently confiscate them, that's pretty serious lying.

People everywhere saying that for a couple of years.

Its a scandal the Govt have done nothing to legalize them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What have they got to do with bicycles/cycling? :confused:
    Everything has something to do with cycling!:D

Duckjob wrote: »
    Of course you can. Its a matter of tipping the balance in favour of active transport. People need a bit of firm encouragement because frankly some of them need to be peeled out of their cars.

Your objection is like trying to put the cart before the horse. We can't implement a decent public transport or decent walking/cycling space etc while cars are given the lions share of space in our cities. With the reallocated from cars we can accomodate far better travel and public transport infra.

Electric cars will ease local air pollution somewhat, but they're no zero help to easing the congestion that's crippling our cities.
    Active transport? What on earth is that? My objection is the lack of good public transport and there is neither horse nor cart in some cases. We are at the mercy of the decades of bad planning that has allowed the city to spread out so far and most people are not in some Goldilocks zone where they live and work within moderately short distances.

If you live anywhere on the north side of the city that is not within reach of a train line, you are quite likely to have poor transport options. Even with a train there are scheduling and capacity issues which can make it quite a challenge to travel to workplaces. I can't comment on the Southside but I'd imagine West Dublin is not a lot different and I know that parts of Blanch and Lucan barely have any.
    That has to be addressed first, to provide people with enough real options, then you can look at ways of encouraging them.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Active transport? What on earth is that?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Everything has something to do with cycling!:D

This is my experience, but it's probably like Procrustes saying "Everyone eventually fits the bed".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

rubadub wrote: »
    Some might, but I cycle in torrential rain or snow. The beauty of them is no effort is required, so you can get away with cheapo non-breathable raingear, which is also very protective as it is not breathable. While on a regular bike you would sweat like a pig.

My commute is 20mins on a ebike, last time I drove was 40mins, luas takes an hour, 20min walk to the luas, 25min luas, 10min walk to work, and leave 5mins in case the luas is late. Bus would be over an hour including the walks.

Many people do not factor in the added delays with waits & walking on public transport, some like to fool themselves that it is not that bad. When every I hear somebody say their commute takes say 30mins, and they have to be in at 9am I would ask "oh so you shut he door behind you at 8.30?" and the reply is often "ah jaysus no!!! I leave the house at 7.45 and walk...etc "

i remember seeing some study on them an the distances commuted seemed reasonably short , under an hour walking or something like that. i'd say in a dublin context the majority of people using them would live in the post codes bordering on 1 and 2 or else people that use them to connect to Luas or Dart.

how do they work socially, if you were going into town shopping would you need somr kind of locker system? or do they lock to bike stands?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

We are at the mercy of the decades of bad planning that has allowed the city to spread out so far and most people are not in some Goldilocks zone where they live and work within moderately short distances.

Anyone have the stat handy on how many people live within 4-5km of work? I think it is surprisingly high, like 60%+?

David Fitzsimons, group chief executive of Retail Excellence Ireland, which represents more than 2,000 retailers in the Irish market, disputed there was an onus on shops to inform customers about the law.

“Retailers are not obliged to inform customers about their use, in the same way that if you bought a quad bike, or a motor bike, or a car, the salesman is not going to sit down with you and explain the rules of the road,” he said.
    I would challenge anybody to find an Irish website selling cars which implies you can use it for you commute and require no tax, insurance. licence etc. Have any employed a law firm to actually say it is legal to drive a car on the road with no tax or insurance or licence, since that is what one of these scumbag conmen sellers did.

If the majority of car salesmen started lying to customers then I would have no objection for Ross asking for them to inform customers properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

check_six wrote: »
    Anyone have the stat handy on how many people live within 4-5km of work? I think it is surprisingly high, like 60%+?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

On average, workers lived within 15 Km of their place of work in 2016, up from 14.7 Km recorded five years previously. This refers to the straight-line distance for persons at work between their place of residence and their workplace address.

At county level the longest average straight line distances were recorded in Laois (25 Km) and Leitrim (23 Km) with the shortest in Dublin City (5.9 Km).

* I realise I didn't directly answer the question asked, but I'm sure some further digging around the CSO site might throw some more light on it

28mins is the average commute :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

My objection is the lack of good public transport and there is neither horse nor cart in some cases. We are at the mercy of the decades of bad planning that has allowed the city to spread out so far and most people are not in some Goldilocks zone where they live and work within moderately short distances.
    It may be heresy to say it, but I don't think land use planning in the Dublin region was all that bad historically. If anything, the belief that Dublin is an enormous sprawl has hindered the development of good public transport more than helped it. Every development from DART to Luas and now Metrolink was opposed by some serious commentators who said/say we don't have the population density to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Grassey wrote: »
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

* I realise I didn't directly answer the question asked, but I'm sure some further digging around the CSO site might throw some more light on it

Does it change in the urban centres, I wonder?

Grassey wrote: »
    I would imagine this is underestimated.

question19.GIF

I was saying in another thread how people often neglect true times in their commute. I have a 20min walk to the luas, 25min on luas, 10min walk after, so 55mins and if I had to be in for 9 I would be leaving at 7.50-7.55 to allow for delays on the luas arriving.

I knew people coming to work in Dublin from another county and train timetables meant they would arrive to work ~25mins early.

Somebody also mentioned how a cyclist might leave out the time taken to get the bike from a shed, and how long to lock it up in work or time taken to have a shower in work (if they did).

So when comparing commuting methods I personally would compare them as to what time I have to wake up in the morning at. I get to wake up ~50mins later if using a bike than a luas if I absolutely have to be in at 9am.

plodder wrote: »
    It may be heresy to say it, but I don't think land use planning in the Dublin region was all that bad historically. If anything, the belief that Dublin is an enormous sprawl has hindered the development of good public transport more than helped it. Every development from DART to Luas and now Metrolink was opposed by some serious commentators who said/say we don't have the population density to support it.

There are always objections to every plan. Often because it effects people property value for no good reason.

I don't see how you can say planning wasn't bad. There are so many poorly designed junctions, cycle paths, road layouts, buildings, schemes. Its epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

beauf wrote: »
    There are always objections to every plan. Often because it effects people property value for no good reason.
    True, but I was talking about economists like Sean Barrett and Colm McCarthy. We've listened to these people for far too long imo.
    I don't see how you can say planning wasn't bad. There are so many poorly designed junctions, cycle paths, road layouts, buildings, schemes. Its epidemic.
    I meant 'land use' purely in terms of where we built housing and the density thereof. Transport infrastructure is another matter, though roads, junctions etc have improved quite a bit in recent decades. It's the lack of a decent underground mass transit network that has held the city back in my view.

Our land use is to move everyone to one city or (cities). But not in it. We make them commute for hours a day in a car.

We might say these are normal problems. But there are solutions. We just don't want to do them.

Our approach to eScooters is a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Moflojo wrote: »
    Be very wary of the RSA's approach to e-scooters. They appear to be trying to lobby for the wearing of PPE (helmets & hi-vis) as a condition for using e-scooters.

This, at the very least, would muddy the waters around the legality of wearing helmets and hi-vis while cycling, and e-scooters could also be used as a sort of Trojan horse by the RSA to get some kind of legislative foothold on mandatory helmets and hi-vis (their wet dream).

The RSA is fundamentally a victim-blaming organisation when it comes to anyone who doesn't use a car, so watch out.

Fully agree re. the RSA's intentions - it is currently a sham of a body with a vulnerable victim blaming bias..... look up their 'driveway safety' clip.....adults should hold the hands of children 8 years and younger in a driveway .:(:(:(

Advertisement