Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Straight Pride

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

The reason there is straight pride is that people are totally fu5ked up with gay this or that.
    Our state broadcaster even sponsored gay week or month or however long it went on. My licence fee went towards that sh×te.

Well you're a stunning advertisement for straight pride anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

The reason there is straight pride is that people are totally fu5ked up with gay this or that.
    Our state broadcaster even sponsored gay week or month or however long it went on. My licence fee went towards that sh×te.

did you come here in a delorean??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

oLoonatic wrote: »
    did you come here in a delorean??

Nice car but wasn't very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Again, no one is saying that and no one is talking to you about hypothetical, inclusive, and loving Straight Pride marches. Because that's all they are, hypotheticals. The real life ones, like in the OP are for hatred not love, or being proud.

There are posters saying there's no point to straight pride and all the straight pride events are homophobic. Those are 2 separate points.

If people are homophobic then that's the problem, not someone being proud of being straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

jay1988 wrote: »
    Well you're a stunning advertisement for straight pride anyway.

No they aren't and it's about as clever as me finding an example of a gobshyte who's gay and saying they're a stunning advertisement for gay pride.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Anyone asking for straight pride has exactly the opposite problem. Straight insecurity.
    They aren’t all closet cases but a vast amount of them actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Anyone asking for straight pride has exactly the opposite problem. Straight insecurity. They aren’t all closet cases but a vast amount of them actually are.

Yeah and all gays who have issue with straight pride are secretly straight.

Ridiculous.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Yeah and all gays who have issue with straight pride are secretly straight.

Ridiculous.

I’d love a clear cogent well thought argument from anyone about why they need a straight pride parade. Even one. Ive yet to hear one. If they had any sense of security gay pride wouldn’t bother them at all. Obviously much deeper personal issues afoot.
    What would this straight pride parade entail? That’s just gas to even envision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mod Note: The rules are there for a reason. Please read them next time before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I’d love a clear cogent well thought argument from anyone about why they need a straight pride parade. Even one. Ive yet to hear one. If they had any sense of security gay pride wouldn’t bother them at all. Obviously much deeper personal issues afoot.
    What would this straight pride parade entail? That’s just gas to even envision.

Couldn't you turn that conversation around but replace gay with straight?

• Advertisement

Couldn't you turn that conversation around but replace gay with straight?

There’s people in Ireland still encountering homophobic abuse and attack’s every day.
    There’s countries in the world where it is still completely illegal and gay people killed to being gay.
    The point of pride or on of them is to confront that and vanquish it everywhere it is.
    We’re all of us the same none better than any other of us regardless what way we are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

On the other hand we have "bent" people ( opposite of straight) telling the world they are bent and telling everyone who isn't bent that they should accept being bent as normal, otherwise they have a phobia of people.

Tatranska, as I'm sure you're well aware, straight is not a pejorative term for a heterosexual however bent is a derogatory term for a gay man. I suggest you do not use it again in this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

And there you have it ..... Tolerance is only tolerated if you agree with gay agenda...and it is an agenda!

And what is that agenda, Zachariah Chilly Mulberry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

wiggle16 wrote: »
    And what is that agenda, tatranska?

Interior design and small sweet baked goods.

Tatranska, as I'm sure you're well aware, straight is not a pejorative term for a heterosexual however bent is a derogatory term for a gay man. I suggest you do not use it again in this forum.

So please do enlighten me on the reasoning for calling someone "straight".

Every day is a school day.

For the record..I'm not arguing about a mod instruction..just asking an honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So if they aren't about straight pride then why would you bother dismissing straight pride. You're going after something you claim they don't even believe.

If they behave like homophobes then go after them for that behaviour.

But that still doesn't address why some people are claim pride is dependent on having experienced discrimination. I don't see discrimination as the only path to pride.

You're completely missing the point. Straight pride is basically like a white supremacy march. It is nothing to do with pride in heterosexuality and everything to do with homophobia and transphobia.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are posters saying there's no point to straight pride and all the straight pride events are homophobic. Those are 2 separate points.

If people are homophobic then that's the problem, not someone being proud of being straight.

Because straight pride is nothing to do with being proud of being straight

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You don't need this explained to you. In the early 20th century "straight" began to be used as a colloquialism for behaviour which was conventional, mainstream or socially acceptable, and it still retains this meaning. By extension it came to be used to describe heterosexual people, as opposed to gay people - who were not considered conventional, mainstream or socially acceptable.

You know full well it is not a perjorative term.

You don't need this explained to you. In the early 20th century "straight" began to be used as a colloquialism for behaviour which was conventional, mainstream or socially acceptable, and it still retains this meaning. By extension it came to be used to describe heterosexual people, as opposed to gay people - who were not considered conventional, mainstream or socially acceptable.

You know full well it is not a perjorative term.
    I wish people would stop telling me what I know!!
    Thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

For the record..I'm not arguing about a mod instruction..just asking an honest question.

Why don't you like being called Straight? You've actually asked this question in another thread too so just wondering?

• Advertisement

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Why don't you like being called Straight? You've actually asked this question in another thread too so just wondering?

I wondered why I was being called straight but my sexuality isn't what defines me.
    As for not being perjorative( had to look it up) , it really depends on whose doing the naming and why. It can be as demeaning as anything else.

Why is it when one says homosexuality isn't normal that one is defined as a homophobe ( another perjorative term). I can separate the act from the person quiet easily and I don't have a phobia about people, neither do I hate homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I wondered why I was being called straight but my sexuality isn't what defines me.
    As for not being perjorative( had to look it up) , it really depends on whose doing the naming and why. It can be as demeaning as anything else.

Why is it when one says homosexuality isn't normal that one is defined as a homophobe ( another perjorative term). I can separate the act from the person quiet easily and I don't have a phobia about people, neither do I hate homosexuals.

Why have you such an issue with LGBT people? You say you dont hate homosexuals but yet you keep posting in LGBT related threads asking questions that are clearly to provoke people with you're very cleverly crafted words.

You're on here now trying to play the victim for what? Being called straight? Please.

Why do you feel being called Straight is the same as what you referred to gay people earlier( I'm not repeating that word for obvious reasons)?

Your sexuality is not what defines you but your sexuality can be defined by one word or another - if you're a heterosexual person, then in ordinary vernacular English, you're straight. Human beings are taxonomic animals - we feel a need to classify things because that's how we make sense of the world, we categorise everything and apply words to things to differentiate them from one another. Your sexuality might not define you and you might not consider it to be a part of your identity, but for the purposes of a conversation about sexual orientation, you have a classification like everyone else. If you didn't, it would be necessary to invent one.

I would disagree that it can be demeaning, I cannot think of a context or situation where calling someone "straight" would demean them, partially because being straight has never been seen as bad thing by any society. The opposite is true for other sexual orientations, however.

The problem is that the word normal carries a certain value - if you say that someone isn't normal, it's implicit that you consider them to be abnormal, that there is something wrong with them or unacceptable about them. Normal does not just mean usual or conventional.
    There is a difference between saying that gay people aren't "normal" and saying that gay people are not as common as straight people, for instance. Red hair is the most uncommon hair colour, but no one would say red hair is not normal. People with red hair are normal, and they are not as common as people with black hair.

This is why people would think of you as being homophobic if you say that homosexuality isn't normal, because it illustrates a certain-closed mindedness. For most of the modern era, heterosexuality was the only legitimate sexuality - it is an "organised" sexuality. A huge number of social interactions and rituals were and are organised around it. Marriage was open only to couples of the opposite sex, child-rearing the exclusive remit of a mother and a father. There is a thread right now in After Hours which has been about how lots of men find the idea of two men kissing repulsive, for the last 4 pages or so. Boys kissed girls back in the day. That's what kissing was about. It was for straight people.

So when you say that homosexuality isn't normal, it indicates (or tends to indicate) that you don't view same-sex relationships or attractions as legitimate.
    And you can't really separate the "act" from the person. It's too big a part of them even if it doesn't define them. The doer came before the deed, they had to.

Personally I think the word homophobia is a poor descriptor for a dislike of homosexuality or a lack of acceptance of it but it's too late to change that now. But just as you might not like being labelled a homophobe (and I'm not saying you are btw), LGBT people don't particularly like being told they're not normal, because there's nothing wrong with us.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Why have you such an issue with LGBT people? You say you dont hate homosexuals but yet you keep posting in LGBT related threads asking questions that are clearly to provoke people with you're very cleverly crafted words.

You're on here now trying to play the victim for what? Being called straight? Please.

Why do you feel being called Straight is the same as what you referred to gay people earlier( I'm not repeating that word for obvious reasons)?

Come back to me when you’ve been beaten up by a load of gays for being not like them.
    Haven’t heard of any straight bashings done by gay people.
    Gay people face this and still get beaten daily in this country.

This is why people would think of you as being homophobic if you say that homosexuality isn't normal, because it illustrates a certain-closed mindedness. For most of the modern era, heterosexuality was the only legitimate sexuality - it is an "organised" sexuality. A huge number of social interactions and rituals were and are organised around it. Marriage was open only to couples of the opposite sex, child-rearing the exclusive remit of a mother and a father. There is a thread right now in After Hours which has been about how lots of men find the idea of two men kissing repulsive, for the last 4 pages or so. Boys kissed girls back in the day. That's what kissing was about. It was for straight people.

And come to think of it, this is why a straight pride parade should rub you up the wrong way. There is something very triumphalist and supremacist about having a straight pride parade in a world already designed for and catered to the convenience and comfort of straight people. Just like a white pride [white power] parade in a country where white people hold a dominant and pre-eminent position in society, such as the US. Or a Loyalist parade/Orange Order march in Northern Ireland.
    It should leave a very bad taste in your mouth.

Advertisement