Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog for two wheelchair users

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I have done the same as you. I can’t commit financially or time wise to a dog so I own a cat. She’s not independent like most cats so needs more care and she’s quite a little character. But it’s great that I can leave all day without restrictions and I don’t need to commit to walks.

I think I would get a lurcher or a little whippet if I get one in the future .Generally they are quite calm. I adore their temperament and find them very calming to be around. When I see owners with them I am a little envious of them!

Thank you for this. It was a hard decision to make as I am sure you know. It is still less than a year since my dog died. She is still in every lane and field.

Only other dogs around out here are collies; they have a blue merle next door; amazing silver eyes but a live wire.

My cats are grand company and great fun but as you say, no commitment as with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I agree with most folk on here - a rescue is the best way to go, an older dog would be just ideal. I wouldn't get stuck on a specific breed though and just go with each individual dog, mini pins are nuts so wouldn't recommend them at all, most terriers are pretty up there energy wise!

I wouldn't recommend a jack russell unless an older dog, we got a puppy for my grandfather and he loved her to bits, we were on hand to take her for off lead walks though as he could only manage to take her on the lead, but she was fabulous once she got over the nutty puppy stage at about 8yrs old! We took her for a couple of hour long walks every other day and she'd still be bouncing! She was with him till the end and then we had her, but she did need loads of different things to do, we used her as a sheep dog and a ratter, she lived till she was 16yrs old when she sadly lost the plot completely, but they are very busy little dogs!! I've rescued 2 other jack russells since and both are great dogs but I walk them a couple of hours a day up the mountains, plus a friend bought a jrt x king charles spaniel as she thought he'd be a little lap dog, we ended up with him as he was so high energy and is about the size of a springer spaniel so grew way bigger than she thought! It was a heartbreaking decision for our friend to give him up but he was so unsuitable for her, so I'd hate for anyone else to be in the same situation and get attached to a dog that 6 months down the line you find you really can't cope with and have to rehome!

As for walking as others have said I'd have to agree with them that playing in a garden isn't enough mental or physical exercise for a dog, think of it like cabin fever!, they really do need to get out and see other things so if you're not able then there are tons of dog walkers out there who I'm sure would fulfil that avenue.

I'm with the rescued greyhound thought, they really do make great pets, and are seriously lazy dogs just needing to clear the cobwebs once a day which a dog walker could easily do!!:D But I'd go and have a chat to a rescue and see what they have, you may have to wait for the right dog but it will be worth it in the end! And I've found rescue dogs always seem to be so grateful, they might have to odd quirk but then what dog doesn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My sister in law raised some valid points saying that it would be unfair to leave a dog couped up alone in a house all day.

Suggested maybe a hamster as a pet

My sister in law raised some valid points saying that it would be unfair to leave a dog couped up alone in a house all day.

ah you are both out all day? That adds a whole different dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If you want to go down the small furry pet route I would suggest a pair of Guinea Pigs, very cute & interactive. You might need a bit of help with changing the cage.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    ah you are both out all day? That adds a whole different dimension.

Yeah we both work

Yeah we both work

Ah OK.. and not good for a dog to be left alone all day; maybe 2 dogs!

Such a pity you do not like cats. One of the pedigrees eg Siamese are as intelligent as dogs and very good company. and very affectionate; I bred them for years and they really are special. My family of rescues are great company yet very independent. And they come for walks with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

a big neutered rescue cat would provide the companionship yet be able to go out and exercise it self a dog for 2 wheel chair people is a bit cruel unless they adopt an eldery dog whose owner has passed away usually they require peace and quiet, defo not a young dog or puppy d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ah OK.. and not good for a dog to be left alone all day; maybe 2 dogs!

Such a pity you do not like cats. One of the pedigrees eg Siamese are as intelligent as dogs and very good company. and very affectionate; I bred them for years and they really are special. My family of rescues are great company yet very independent. And they come for walks with me.

Siamese, Burmese, Maine Coons. All different to the average moggies but cost a fair bit and might be outside the budget. And people who don't know how different one cat can bef from the next have bias. Pity, really. But even a house-cat needs a bit of investment to put in a cat-flap and in the garden to make it secure or else frequent exercise and enrichment.

We went visiting a friend today who's a wheelchair user. She and her husband have 2 dogs - a Shih Tzu and a terrier.

I fell in love with the Shih Tzu tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

We went visiting a friend today who's a wheelchair user. She and her husband have 2 dogs - a Shih Tzu and a terrier.

Shih Tzus are great little dogs for people who are looking for a lap dog who isn't super high energy. I would just urge you to get pet insurance, eye issues and joint issues being something I have commonly dealt with in this breed.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

OP; have you got any further with this please? I keep thinking of you and hoping you find a furry friend soon... I am much perforce abed these days and that company and purring is a healing.

so many rescues out there needing a loving home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Is her husband also in a wheelchair though?

I’m really sorry to keep saying this, OP, but I just don’t think you and your wife are in a position to give a dog the care it deserves without major outside help, which you haven’t actually said you’re prepared to engage.

I genuinely don’t mean to be harsh or dismissive here, it’s clear you really want a dog. But plenty of people who would love one are willing to concede that they simply aren’t in a position to do so.

OP; have you got any further with this please? I keep thinking of you and hoping you find a furry friend soon... I am much perforce abed these days and that company and purring is a healing.

so many rescues out there needing a loving home

Not yet

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Is her husband also in a wheelchair though?

I’m really sorry to keep saying this, OP, but I just don’t think you and your wife are in a position to give a dog the care it deserves without major outside help, which you haven’t actually said you’re prepared to engage.

I genuinely don’t mean to be harsh or dismissive here, it’s clear you really want a dog. But plenty of people who would love one are willing to concede that they simply aren’t in a position to do so.

No he's not, but they can both manage him

OP; can you visit a friendly rescue place? Make a first initial progress? I remain sure, from my own experience, that it is viable and desirable.

Almost a year since my wee dog died and I know that had she lived longer we would have enjoyed those years. Even with my increasing limitations and decreasing mobility..She was joyful and exuberant.

People in wheelchairs have dogs.

Hey all. OP here. We still haven't got our dog due to COVID19 etc. There is a rehoming centre a few miles from us - I'm on the website almost daily looking to see if there are any suitable for adoption. Hopefully, when we get a bit more cash we will look at getting a dog.

It is good to hear from you. Yes many things are on hold.

My faith-family in Canada are heavily into rescue work and are inundated with dogs and cats that were acquired at the start of covid being dumped. I gather it is the same over here.

Good luck with your search. Hoping all is well with you.

OP here again.

Im after failing in love with a Cavalier King Charles that I've seen on Dogs Trust website. It's not one with floppy ears. It has short fur also. Gorgeous dog

Don't think I can get it though? All the hidden costs involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

What do you mean hidden costs? ASFAIK they are more than up front with costs given they only want the best for the pups in their care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dogs cost a fortune, tbh.

I'd be asking myself - "Am I thinking of what a dog can do for me, or what I can do for a dog". If it's the former, you are off to a bad start. Dogs have a lot of needs, and when we take a dog into our homes, we have an obligation to meet those needs. These needs include daily exercise, lots of mental stimulation, company, not leaving it alone for long periods etc.

If you and your partner are both still working full time outside the home, I doubt Dog's Trust would rehome to you? Equally, if you aren't prepared to pay a dog walker to take the dog out for a walk every day, assuming you can't do it yourselves, then that's desperately unfair on the dog, regardless of breed.

My Wife is at home all the time now at the moment, so any dog we get would have company throughout the day.

We would want to obviously rehome a dog that has had a rough start, not just for the craic.

OP here. We're still toying with the idea of getting a dog......maybe not at the moment because of financial constraints......?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Rescues appreciate people fostering dogs too especially with the massive amount of surrenders at the moment. You don't have to adopt.

Foster for a month and then you should know if you want to commit or not.

Might not want to give it back lol

Can you visit a rescue? It would help in many ways and they are wise and careful folk who would support and inform... and you might just fall in love with the perfect critter for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If money is an issue - and it seems to be - then I'm not sure fostering is going to give the OP a realistic view of the costs involved in dog ownership, as generally the rescue covers all costs during the foster period.

I'm sorry to be like a broken record, OP, but nothing you have said since your initial posts would indicate to me that your situation has changed enough for you to be able to give a dog everything it wants and needs. As I said before, the best starting point for you is probably to make contact with a responsible rescue, they'll be able to objectively assess your situation and tell you honestly whether a dog is really an option for you.

I've found one on their website and spoke to one of the volunteers at the centre. Have also submitted an expression of interest form to them. This little guy is a 2 year old Jack Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jack Russells are very high energy and need a lot of walking. I had one years ago and he needed 2 walks a day. People make the mistake of thinking small dog, wont need much walking, but thats often not the case at all.

Advertisement