Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoaxesssss innnnn Spaaaaaace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Overheal wrote: »
    Since you brought it up: what, exactly, is your engineering background?

I think he may have changed the windscreen wiper blades on a car once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Whatever the engineering background is, they accept YouTube as a source apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Ah lads, your being too harsh on the op. He has an engineering background......which I take to mean he has a cool engineering pic as his desktop background. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

bfa1509 wrote: »
    And I slowly started to find that reading into the whole hoax was far more interesting than anything else.

Yes it probably is more interesting, unfortunately more interesting != true.
    I'm now speaking to any interested, open-minded lurkers. This video is a good place to start:

That video is a terrible place to start...his first piece of evidence is motive, which proves nothing one way or the other. So...1:17 minutes into a 5:47 minute video, and no evidence yet.

Next concerns about a soviet missile base on the moon. Possibly true, but definitely irrelevant. Now he's listing lost cosmonauts, Gus Grissom, and the fact that the Russians had an early lead in the space race.

1/3 of the way into the video now, and still no evidence, just debunked claims. The only thing he's proved is how little he knows about computing because apparently, 16-bit computers couldn't have done it.

Van Allen belts - debunked ages ago.
    Photo "evidence" - debunked ages ago.

Oh...Gus Grissom was murdered for doubting the moon project apparently. "There's a conspiracy theory about it" he says. The same guy who started his video by claiming not to be a conspiracy theorist, is citing as evidence...another conspiracy theory. Wow...how could anyone fail to be convinced by this?

Over the halfway point now, and still waiting for something other than a claim.

Photo crosshairs - debunked ages ago.
    Shadows - debunked ages ago

1 minute to go, but I've wasted enough time on this nonsense already. If the OP is a conspiracy theorist then he's either a very bad one, or this whole thread is a wind-up, which is what I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

soups05 wrote: »
    Ah lads, your being too harsh on the op. He has an engineering background......which I take to mean he has a cool engineering pic as his desktop background. :)

Sanitation engineer is my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Firstly, I don't have to do anything before moving onto my next point, you don't have the power to dictate the confines of this thread. Although I can see why you would, because you aren't comfortable with discussing the other swaths of evidence against the moonlandings (most of which I haven't even mentioned yet).

I already said that the ISS crossing overhead could be anything, a satellite, a plane, a balloon. And with regard the retroreflectors, the only evidence you have is based on hearsay.

The biggest smoking gun of all should be NASA's own admission that we haven't been passed low earth orbit or the Van Allen Belts. But I guess you want me to come back and address your first two points before I'm allowed move on to this, eh?

You are claiming that man didn't land on the moon and you also seem to be claiming that the ISS doesn't exist

These are absolutely extraordinary claims, so it's not surprising posters have questions for you

If you are deflecting away from those questions and trying to bury the debate in your subjective understanding (or non-understanding) of physics/engineering/space then this will go round in circles

This is why posters are asking you to address the glaring faults in the basic logic and critical thinking behind your claims first

I already have dozens of questions/points that immediately spring to mind, but apparently there is a queue..

skerry wrote: »
    Are you also saying the shuttle program was faked, I'm guessing yes seeing as you don't believe the ISS is actually up there?

If we are to entertain this, then yes the shuttle program would have to have been fake

Which would also mean that all 220 crew from a multitude of nations who have gone to the ISS are fake, that every single space agency is in on this, that all edit: 6 moon landings were flawlessly faked, that the US and Russia cooperated for decades on this inside job (despite being a total odds with each other), that Apollo 13 was faked, that literally millions of astronomers, engineers, physicists, crew, staff, scientists over decades are either stupid or in on this "grande conspiracy"

Or

Someone on the internet with low critical thinking believes in a zany theory they saw on youtube (or is a windup merchant)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

It’s not a ‘multiplier’ my dude. It’s not a divide by zero thing. If I have 14.7 pounds per square inch of force against a surface with 0 psia on the other side, the force exerted on the surface is still 14.7 psi. Pressure vessels are used every day that can handle thousands of psi.

Nice deflection on the maths "my dude". So you agree that there is 14.7 psi of pressure inside the space suit? (14.7 psi = 101,000 N/m^2, which would be the equivalent of 1.1 tonnes of mass resting on a 1m^2 piece of fabric) No human could ever maneuver inside a fabric under that much tension.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Which would also mean that all 220 crew from a multitude of nations who have gone to the ISS are fake, that every single space agency is in on this, that all 4 moon landings were flawlessly faked, that the US and Russia cooperated for decades on this inside job (despite being a total odds with each other), that Apollo 13 was faked, that literally millions of astronomers, engineers, physicists, crew, staff, scientists over decades are either stupid or in on this "grande conspiracy"

Nice deflection on the maths "my dude". So you agree that there is 14.7 psi of pressure inside the space suit? (14.7 psi = 101,000 N/m^2, which would be the equivalent of 1.1 tonnes of mass resting on a 1m^2 piece of fabric) No human could ever maneuver inside a fabric under that much tension.

Why is any discussion of your personal interpretations (or misinterpretations) of pressures needed?

Here is a live stream on board the ISS
    https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html

How do you explain that? (made-up answers without evidence will be dismissed without evidence)

• Advertisement

The suits are depressurized to 4.3 psi. They also have hinges at all the movement joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean your conversion from Newton’s to mass is incorrect, for a start. The tension in the material would at most be 101kPa, which is not earth shattering for material strengths. Aside from that, the nature of the material means as you move your appendages the suit layers fold and bend, it’s not a mechanically intensive locomotion on the material. The pressure in the suit (and the exertion on the interior surfaces) does not change dramatically if you bend a finger: sort of like how there’s no blood pressure difference when you wiggle your fingers. The EVA suit is already in an equilibrium: the pressure is reacted upon by the aforementioned stiffness and tensions and the suit and fabric. Certainly, it’s more difficult to work in an EVA suit than garden gloves but it’s still possible. And, demonstrably, they do. Your claim that they couldn’t possibly do this is baseless, as it happens on a routine basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

No answer from OP on my question re shutte program, but as poster above said if implication is that ISS is a fake, then I'd have to assume the same implication is directed towards the shuttle program.

Reason I ask is that if the above is true, then I've just learned from reading this thread that 2 years of my life was a complete lie, staged by the US government to trick a poor Irish researcher, which is after putting a downer on my weekend to say the least.

I've spent 2 years working in Kennedy Space Centre on life science projects related to the space program. During that time I've seen 3 shuttle launches first hand with my very own eyes.

The shuttles in question most definitely entered Earth orbit, docked with the ISS and returned. I know this because a) I seen them launch and b) because I was involved in projects that ranged from collecting the rubbish (including the nappies the astronauts wear while suited up waiting for launch) which was returned from the ISS when the shuttle returned and testing the effects of microgravity on microbes, to collecting astronaut piss and working on recycling it into clean drinkable water.

I've also worked with life science researchers who have devoted most of their career to the space program and spoke to at least one astronaut who's a veteran a several space walks.

So either all the people I met over those 2 years were actors and the whole thing was somehow staged, or the space program, shuttles, ISS and all that goes with it are real things. I know which one I believe.

No offence by the way OP, just speaking from my own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

skerry wrote: »
    No answer from OP on my question re shutte program, but as poster above said if implication is that ISS is a fake, then I'd have to assume the same implication is directed towards the shuttle program.

Reason I ask is that if the above is true, then I've just learned from reading this thread that 2 years of my life was a complete lie, staged by the US government to trick a poor Irish researcher, which is after putting a downer on my weekend to say the least.

I've spent 2 years working in Kennedy Space Centre on life science projects related to the space program. During that time I've seen 3 shuttle launches first hand with my very own eyes.

The shuttles in question most definitely entered Earth orbit, docked with the ISS and returned. I know this because a) I seen them launch and b) because I was involved in projects that ranged from collecting the rubbish (including the nappies the astronauts wear while suited up waiting for launch) which was returned from the ISS when the shuttle returned and testing the effects of microgravity on microbes, to collecting astronaut piss and working on recycling it into clean drinkable water.

I've also worked with life science researchers who have devoted most of their career to the space program and spoke to at least one astronaut who's a veteran a several space walks.

So either all the people I met over those 2 years were actors and the whole thing was somehow staged, or the space program, shuttles, ISS and all that goes with it are real things. I know which one I believe.

Thats exactly the sort of thing a conspirator would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

The Nal wrote: »

Rumbled :D

The part I'm having trouble with: What's the motive for this mega global decades long conspiracy?

Every time a new president or prime minister is elected are they formally handed a piece of paper which reads: "Yo, we gotta keep this whole history of man in space hoax going, they still believe it, lol"

The part I'm having trouble with: What's the motive for this mega global decades long conspiracy?

Something to do with beating the Soviets, beating communism, not being shown up by the Soviets, NASA funding...
    Every time a new president or prime minister is elected are they formally handed a piece of paper which reads: "Yo, we gotta keep this whole history of man in space hoax going, they still believe it, lol"

I assume Skerry got that piece of paper too and has since signed his life away to the lizard people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

The suits are depressurized to 4.3 psi. They also have hinges at all the movement joints.

The rehashed space suits are depressurised and have hinges. The first spacesuits (i.e. during the "moonlandings") were at 1atm and had no hinges, shells, or anything else to maintain the flexibility during the space walk.

Even at 4.3 psi, this would be the equivalent of 296Kg of mass resting on 1 m^2 of fabric
    I mean your conversion from Newton’s to mass is incorrect, for a start.
    What's incorrect about it?
    The tension in the material would at most be 101kPa, which is not earth shattering for material strengths.
    You're right, most materials can go to MPa or even GPa before failure but 101kPa on a material is a stress that is far beyond that which humans can manipulate further
    Aside from that, the nature of the material means as you move your appendages the suit layers fold and bend, it’s not a mechanically intensive locomotion on the material.
    The nature of the material is irrelevant. 101Kpa is the same when it's on latex, kevlar or steel. The material still has to resist it, and there is no way it can remain flexible under this pressure. When you move you cause a volume change in the suit, which means compressing the air inside even further. No human could compress anything that has 101Kpa already inside it.

Something to do with beating the Soviets, beating communism, not being shown up by the Soviets, NASA funding...

Yup but the "man can't go into space" and "ISS doesn't exist" theories presented here would mean the Soviet and modern Russia was in on it too, and working with the Americans.. and everyone else, in a sort of mass global conspiracy

Or as I like to call it the "I can't possibly be wrong, therefore it's the world that's wrong" type of theory

Yup but the "man can't go into space" and "ISS doesn't exist" theories presented here would mean the Soviet and modern Russia was in on it too, and working with the Americans.. and everyone else, in a sort of mass global conspiracy

Or as I like to call it the "I can't possibly be wrong, therefore it's the world that's wrong" type of theory

Oh sure yeah, thats just silly, simple as that.

Its a global conspiracy that would have to involve millions with not one person spilling the beans or slipping up.

Yet people believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And now the Chinese would have to be in on it too...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_astronauts

There are others here better placed to deal with the scientific evidence, but to me politically it doesn't stand up to scrutiny either (in a way it might if only the US had space launches).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t forget those North Koreans ..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What's incorrect about it?

Ok... what is your engineering background? Super curious now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

UFO believers were ridiculed for decades by Skeptics and official media. People like you said there nothing happening.

Now we have reached a stage the official media openly discusses sightings by military pilots and they are describing craft that defy physics. Even congress members are now briefed on it.

UFO believers faced the overwhelming concensus that was all nonsense. US Navy not is openly saying their pilots have seen unusual flying objects. I just pointing out norms change and official narratives are not always the truth.

Here, i find it hard to believe, this could be staged forever. Too many countries have space programs and be find hard to keep a lid on leaks if no man ever went to Space or the moon.

Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin was not American, he was born in Russia and if spacetravel was impossible his trip to space if fake would have leaked out by now.

UFO believers were ridiculed for decades by Skeptics and official media. People like you said there nothing happening.

Now we have reached a stage the official media openly discusses sightings by military pilots and they are describing craft that defy physics. Even congress members are now briefed on it.

UFO believers faced the overwhelming concensus that was all nonsense. US Navy not is openly saying their pilots have seen unusual flying objects. I just pointing out norms change and official narratives are not always the truth.

There have been UFO sightings for decades. And there will continue to be. UFOs exist. The problem is the the real nutters assume and infer that its aliens where the more likely reality, considering where the majority of these sightings happen - near military research centres are military experiments.

So not aliens, but test aircraft and drones.

Interesting stat, the nearest possible system that may support life is 4 light years away. The New Horizons probe travels at 36,373 mph which is Mach 47 so it would take the probe 80,000 years to reach that system.

So its very unlikely anyone has made it to earth. And I do believe theres other life out there. Statistically its very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

I have an engineering background, and quite frankly, I can't believe any human ever got to space (or at least got to space and returned alive), let alone the moon landings. It breaks too many physical and thermodynamic laws, especially with the near perfect vacuum that is supposedly up there. (I can go at it with any opposers who are willing to spend the energy!!)

I very subtly and carefully hinted my doubts to some, close, considerate people I know and the one argument they always come up with is that too many people would have to keep it secret, thousands of people. This simply isn't true, the whole space program contracts all the projects out to 3rd party contractors who fulfil a specific project. All of these then converge together to form the program. Very few people need to be "in on it". And even if they blew the whistle, nobody would believe them.

You claim the moon landing were hoax, and you use your "engineering background" to support this assertion.
    There are literally millions of people with engineering backgrounds some to a very high level. These people are all privvy to the knowledge you have.
    Why are they not all convinced, like you are, that landings were a hoax. Based on their engineering knowledge.

There have been UFO sightings for decades. And there will continue to be. UFOs exist. The problem is the the real nutters assume and infer that its aliens where the more likely reality, considering where the majority of these sightings happen - near military research centres are military experiments.

So not aliens, but test aircraft and drones.

Military pilots are decribing disk like objects in the sky and below water. There not a chance in hell the United States has technology like this. Craft going from 60,000 feet to a few thousand feet in matters of seconds would kill a human pilot. The Nimitz battlegroup recorded this all on radar the objects doing this during a classified test.

Why would the US Navy investigate itself? Why would congress need to be debriefed about incursions?

Navy even announced they had updated their guidelines for pilots so they report them and not face riduicule and career damage.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/24/politics/us-navy-ufo-guidelines/index.html

Why would the US Navy investigate itself? Why would congress need to be debriefed about incursions?

putin_2846194c.jpg

putin_2846194c.jpg

Trump was asked about this recently, couple of weeks ago, and not shocking he does not much about the topic. At least he admits he has been told this is happening, he got a briefing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Military pilots are decribing disk like objects in the sky and below water. There not a chance in hell the United States has technology like this. Craft going from 60,000 feet to a few thousand feet in matters of seconds would kill a human pilot. The Nimitz battlegroup recorded this all on radar the objects doing this during a classified test.
    Navy even announced they had updated their guidelines for pilots so they report them and not face riduicule and career damage.

It was during a test of the radar \ aerial defence system.
    These reports seem to have started coming in since that new system was activated by the US military. All credit to the system, but I'd be very surprised if it's such an upgrade it can now pickup previously undetected advanced alien spacecraft.
    So, they are UFOs.
    It's waaay too early to say to say they are UFOs of alien origin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement