Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coverage of women’s sport

• 08-07-2019 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Women’s sport is as good to watch as men’s.

But RTÉ often seem to show it in a patronizing way, often give the impression they are doing it to be ‘right on’ rather than for its actual merit.

Showing camogie matches between hurling games is a good example. At the time RTÉ put them on they are just in the way. If they were interested they could have a separate programme, which I have no doubt people would be keen to watch. Anyone I know who likes hurling also enjoys camogie if they watch it.

The Women’s World Cup shows how it should be done, just treat the women’s games as important events in their own right, not something to be tacked onto the male version.
    Got a bit of a pain in the hole last night when there was literally a news story that a lot of people were tuning in to the Women’s World Cup. Like, of course they are, wouldn’t be much point in broadcasting it otherwise. It’s a major sporting event, the gender is irrelevant, it’s only PC gobshoites who want to make gender the story.

Comments

it’s only PC gobshoites who want to make gender the story.

So that’d be yourself then

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The world definitely needs more female beach volleyball shown on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

If it got the viewership it would be shown...but it doesn't because they are not the top athletes of any sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

They all have lovely bottoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Agreed. More hot oil wrestling, or foxy boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I think that everything should be divided equally amongst everything and everyone so that everyone is happy with everything.

Now, where the fcuk do I start????

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to Sports please follow the local rules/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Women’s sport is as good to watch as men’s.
    I can't really agree with that. I tried watching a few of the women's world cup matches but jesus it was very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I can't really agree with that. I tried watching a few of the women's world cup matches but jesus it was very dull.

A lot of soccer is very dull. The England-USA semi final was v dramatic.
    Got Boxing Monthly magazine last week, their fight of the month was Katie Taylor v the Belgian, which was way better than the main event that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

People want to watch men’s sport more than women for the same reason they would watch women’s professional sport more than amateur men - they want to watch the best compete. Audiences are attracted to the pinnacle of sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't watch sports, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

Womens Netball world cup starts this weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Across all walks of life, males are inherently more competitive and physically aggressive, no matter how much society wants to make us all the same. This produces higher quality sport..audiences want that in your face hard competitive fire and passion..it’s just not there in women to the same degree as it is in men. Testosterone!!!

Men also handle the hardness and toughness and physicalness better...and the more physically intimate and tough the sport, the more it is obvious..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Most english premier league matches are worse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Most english premier league matches are worse :o

A lot more people in England watched their last game (11 million) than watch a premier league game, only 5games attracted More than 2million viewers last season

A lot more people in England watched their last game (11 million) than watch a premier league game, only 5games attracted More than 2million viewers last season

youd have to take account the bbc covering a semifinal with no game on to rival it

id have to think the number of people watching eg a sunday 4pm marquis premier league game across all platforms dwarves 11m.

but its not provable, obviously. just not sure that trying to convince ppl using that figure is the slam dunk ppl seem to think.

Advertisement