Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Camping Crew Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭IAmChrisByrne

samih wrote: »
    Have been listening the series over the past couple of weeks. It's really good listen, well done Aaron and Chris. Going at episode 29 today and learning lots of good bits of information even after about 10 years of campervanning in Ireland and the continent. We tend to camp all through out the year and the Motorhome Parking Ireland app recommended by you guys has been a great addition to us. Just back from Donegal on Monday where we found two excellent overnight stays using it. I also agree with Aaron's review of the Strand Camping in Doonbeg, a real gem of a campsite with great owners. Likewise Glen of Aherlow has always been good to us.

We are on our second self built Sprinter that is nearing to completion after a year of building and gotta watch out for that 3.5t GVW limit. By chance we visited the Wanderlust this summer as we needed a spare pipe fitting while traveling in the West, and I was very impressed with the workmanship on the van they were building at the time. It was good to hear for them getting the interview. We are already at around 3 tons empty weight with just the driver onboard. One thing to point about the licence categories if you tow anything is that B licence only allows towing maximum of 750 kg trailer *and* the combined train weight cannot exceed over 3.5t including the trailer. Anything above that requires BE or even CE depending again on the GVW of the camper itself.

Going to get some all weather tyres for the van this week as we will be heading to the Continent next month and you never know what the conditions will be like in the Eastern extremeties of the trip. Have been testing the diesel heating system etc. over the past few weekends to make sure we won't freeze when over there. The biggest worry is the underslung freshwater tank if it gets properly cold and I might fit a teeoff for an internal water container as a backup plan.

Time to listen for another episode of Camping Crew podcast soon. Keep up the good work lads!

Thanks for the message Samih. Great info. We going to chat about this on the next recording. Your trip to Europe sound fab, your making us jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

samih wrote: »

We are already at around 3 tons empty weight with just the driver onboard. One thing to point about the licence categories if you tow anything is that B licence only allows towing maximum of 750 kg trailer *and* the combined train weight cannot exceed over 3.5t including the trailer. Anything above that requires BE or even CE depending again on the GVW of the camper itself.

Don't want to derail the thread but this is incorrect.

The weight you need to worry about is the plated weight of the vehicle, this is what your licence relates to, regardless of the actual weight of the vehicle currently. If the vehicle weighs more than it is plated for, that's a separate issue of being overloaded, which is a serious offence. If the van is plated for 5t yet is empty and weighs 2t, you can't drive it on a b licence.

When towing, trailers of up to 750kg don't count towards the train weight. So, if you have a b license you can drive a 3,500kg plated van AND also tow a trailer plated up to 750kg. If the trailer is plated to more than 750kg, the combined plated weight of van and trailer must be no more than 3,500kg for a b license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Alkers wrote: »
    Don't want to derail the thread but this is incorrect.

The weight you need to worry about is the plated weight of the vehicle, this is what your licence relates to, regardless of the actual weight of the vehicle currently. If the vehicle weighs more than it is plated for, that's a separate issue of being overloaded, which is a serious offence. If the van is plated for 5t yet is empty and weighs 2t, you can't drive it on a b licence.

When towing, trailers of up to 750kg don't count towards the train weight. So, if you have a b license you can drive a 3,500kg plated van AND also tow a trailer plated up to 750kg. If the trailer is plated to more than 750kg, the combined plated weight of van and trailer must be no more than 3,500kg for a b license

I agree. Our base van is plated at 3500 kg and what I meant is that I have to be careful to keep under that when the conversion is done, the van loaded and ready to go. In my case I could have also picked a vehicle plated at over 3.5t as I have C licence but that's beyond the point.

If you have a tow hitch and have a trailer plater at 750 kg you can drive a train with MAM of 4250 kg if the the vehicle is a 3500 kg one. That's good info and unlike what I claimed above.

Episode 35 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. We speak about a Captains chair cover hack, Quann’s and Lough Rynn.
    https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vinapaddy

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I'm considering buying a 04 sprinter (2.7l,150bhp) to convert. Yet to see it but seems in very good condition from photos, 1 business owner from new, says it's had merc service (agnews) throughout, but it has 480k miles. Any thoughts on mileage? It's had timing belt done, not sure yet what else, but other than usual rust to look out for, would that mileage put you off if it was well looked after? Any big jobs you'd have to budget for?
    Thanks
    Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

vinapaddy wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I'm considering buying a 04 sprinter (2.7l,150bhp) to convert. Yet to see it but seems in very good condition from photos, 1 business owner from new, says it's had merc service (agnews) throughout, but it has 480k miles. Any thoughts on mileage? It's had timing belt done, not sure yet what else, but other than usual rust to look out for, would that mileage put you off if it was well looked after? Any big jobs you'd have to budget for?
    Thanks
    Paddy
    Plenty of sprinters around with a lot more mileage than that but there's no way of knowing remember all the parts, bushings, bearings, shocks, springs, diff, gearbox, linkage, cat exhaust, engine etc etc have done the mileage.

‪Episode 36 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. This week we speak about Classes, Types, Sonic Soaking and more. ‬
    https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew‬

Episode 37 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. We speak about Mileage, lint rollers, grub stops and more.

Episode 38 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. On this episode we speak about foldables, collapsibles, campsites and more.
    No App, listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 39 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. On this episode we recap on our favourite discussions of our first year podcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Thanks for the shout out in Ep 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Episode 39 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. On this episode we recap on our favourite discussions of our first year podcasting.

Will be listening to this while eating my porridge in a while :D

Aaron and I would like to say thank you to everyone on boards.ie that contributed to the podcast in 2019. We look forward to discussing your ideas and suggestions next year. Keep them coming

Have a great Christmas New Year

Happy New Year from Aaron & Chris. Our last podcast of 2019 Episode 40, is now available as we look back at 4 interviews from this year. Listen here or on most podcast players‬

Episode 41 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now on all good podcast apps. On this episode we chat about Motorhome layouts, 2nd hand brands for sale currently and more.
    Listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 42 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss Inverters, Solar, Tyre Gauges, Jump Starts and more. If you don’t have a podcast app you can listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 43 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss an Easkey campsite review, Shared ownership, packing for festivals and more. If you don’t have a podcast app you can listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 44 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss habitations checks, Portumna Aires, window vacs, full timers and more. If you don’t have a podcast app you can listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They keep coming thick and fast. I just finished 43. Its worth noting that some festivals have a restriction on camper vans using gas cylinders. Worth checking the tickets.

They keep coming thick and fast. I just finished 43. Its worth noting that some festivals have a restriction on camper vans using gas cylinders. Worth checking the tickets.

Very good advice Rigor Mortis
    I’ll give it a mention on the next recording.

• Advertisement

Episode 45 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss restrictions on gas cylinders at festivals, cadac grills, Wave Crest, help with imports and more. Listen to it on your fave PodCast app or here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 46 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss noisy rattles, storage boxes and duvets and more. Listen in on your Podcast app or here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 47 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss Motorhome TVs, Ferry prices, discounts and more. Listen in on your Podcast app or here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 48 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. On this episode we discuss Charlie and Me hits 1000, all terrain tyres, fishing sites and a lot more. Listen in on your Podcast app or here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Episode 49 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. Title: A hook, a stitch and a plot of land. Listen in on your Podcast app or here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Really enjoying the podcast! I wonder am I the only person who has listened to all of your episodes who doesn't even own a tent, nevermind a caravan or a campervan. The people in work think it's hilarious that I got a shout out in the end of year episode (when you thanked people who contributed during 2019) on a camping podcast when I don't camp! I grew up camping and really want to get back into it.

Two things you might consider discussing. Are there many people who camp/campervan alone? And do you think it would be safe for a solo female? Aaron always says to introduce yourself to your neighbours when you arrive. When I travel alone I try not to draw attention to the fact that I'm travelling alone!

Also, pros and cons of caravan over campervan. Everyone keep saying buy a campervan, you'll only regret it later if you waste time on a caravan. But I'm more drawn to caravanning than campervanning. I don't like the idea of having another engine to service. Caravans just seem more homely. An interview with a caravanner who likes caravans would be great!

Lastly, a quick tip for other planners like me. If you join your local library you can read Practical Caravan and Practical Caravan for free on their RB Digital App. I think I may have already said that on this thread so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

Keep the podcasts coming!

PS I would love a sticker to put on my car!

dory wrote: »
    Really enjoying the podcast! I wonder am I the only person who has listened to all of your episodes who doesn't even own a tent, nevermind a caravan or a campervan. The people in work think it's hilarious that I got a shout out in the end of year episode (when you thanked people who contributed during 2019) on a camping podcast when I don't camp! I grew up camping and really want to get back into it.

Two things you might consider discussing. Are there many people who camp/campervan alone? And do you think it would be safe for a solo female? Aaron always says to introduce yourself to your neighbours when you arrive. When I travel alone I try not to draw attention to the fact that I'm travelling alone!

Also, pros and cons of caravan over campervan. Everyone keep saying buy a campervan, you'll only regret it later if you waste time on a caravan. But I'm more drawn to caravanning than campervanning. I don't like the idea of having another engine to service. Caravans just seem more homely. An interview with a caravanner who likes caravans would be great!

Lastly, a quick tip for other planners like me. If you join your local library you can read Practical Caravan and Practical Caravan for free on their RB Digital App. I think I may have already said that on this thread so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

Thanks Dory for the message. You have given us some excellent topics to discuss. We are going to read your email on the next podcast recording and discuss your suggestions.

Your comment about not being a camper and your friends in work made me laugh.

Regards Chris.

@Dory will you email your address to campingcrewpodcast@gmail.com and I will post you out some stickers for your car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

dory wrote: »

Apologies that was meant to be Practical Motorhome and Practical Caravan magazines! Great for looking at things you can't afford. :)

• Advertisement

Episode 50 of The Camping Crew Podcast is available now. Title: Camping solo, changing wheels and vinegar. Tune in on your Podcast app or listen here: https://anchor.fm/the-camping-crew

Advertisement