Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Hi frash, and welcome to the thread. I've dipped into your log on occasion before, but I'll be following more closely from now :)

Likewise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi folks

I dont know where to start here lol

Ok i trained and ran Dublin 2018

I was way too heavy, training 24 stone 5 feet 8

The training went well and ran up to 18 miles twice, in fairness things went against me on the day and it was because I missed a good few runs and while i was training i was trying to avoid hilly areas around kildare.

I cant state this enough respect the distance

The day of 2018 arrived up and started well the first few km were great felt great. Did damage to my knee at around 4 miles in and my feet blistered terribly

At 4 miles i had decided keep going and run walk

At 8 miles the pain got to the unbearable point and was brisk walking.

At the half way point in Crumlin i was struggling to walk in pain

I could have pulled out but the training was in my head and i went on.

From the 17 mile point i was hobbling couldn't even walk and i fought to the end to finish in 7 hours 55 minutes

This year will be different, 4 stone down in last 3 months and i feel great. I have ran very little since Dublin as my feet were basically two open wounds for 3 months and i was feeling sorry for myself

Started back this morning im gonna do it differently this year make sure i train well and keep the diet on point

Wishing you all the best

Btw most have positive experiences marathon day, mine were weight related and hope to put it right this year.

Also i cant state enough the sense of achievement of finishing no matter how you cross tbe line 26 miles is 26 miles

Also my times best last year although slow

5k 36 minutes
    10k 1 hour 20
    Half 2 hours 55
    Marathon 7 hours 55

Im a novice aswell

I need tbis thread for advice 😳

Hi All..

Have been keeping on eye on when this thread would start. Thanks for volunteering your time to provide guidance.

•Have you raced before?
    - 5k Parkrun - (A year ago!) - 22 mins
    - 10K - (Regularly). 48 mins
    - 10 mile (Trim Feb 2019) 1.17.56

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Strength / Conditioning 1/2 days a week (1 hour each time)
    - 2 runs a week at the moment probably 8k-12k depending. I'm looking lose a strength day and add a running day from now.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Realistic Time - Under 4 hours
    - Dream Time - Under 3.45 hours

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - Planning Running 3/4 times weekly
    - Think ill aim for Boards plan.

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    - Running "too fast". Relative to MY marathon pace. It is a clear issue with my runs and the fear is injury.
    - I also need to dial in nutrition as im hitting approx 84kg at the moment which doesnt sound like fun dragging for nearly 4 hours.

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I have spoken about it for a while - and finally wanted to make a commitment. I want to dedicate myself to a goal, come up with a plan and then achieve it.
    No doubt ill need help, guidance and a bit of direction - but looking forward to it.

Congrats on entering your first marathon Lombardo123! I'd say you could knock a bit off that 10k time, but let's not worry about that right now!

Do you think you could run 4 days a week? I know you say 3 or 4, but honestly 4 is the more ideal number. The Boards plan is a great one, and has gotten many the novice in good shape for the big day.

What pace are you running the couple of runs a week currently? You can use a pace calculator to check what your actual easy pace should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's gives me such a thrill to see this thread up and running again!

Best of luck to everyone involved. Mr. Guappa and his amazing team in Huzzah and ReeReeG, no doubt you guys will do a super job.

And best of luck to all the novices without you there would be no thread! You are in for a challenging but amazing few months, you will make friends that will haunt you forever after :P

Novices, you are in excellent hands with the team of mentors, you will end up being the best prepared bunch of Marathon runners to toe the line next October.

For anyone reading who is feeling a little unsure about joining in - i believe my first post 2 years ago was 'tentative' and let me tell you it was one of the best things i ever did! Introduce yourselves, post regularly, ask questions (even if you think it's a silly one - there is no question too silly), answer each others' questions too (also part of the learning process), and enjoy it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Mileage wise you are about where I was this time last year, if not a touch ahead. I think you'd be well able for the boards plan, if you can find the time?
    I notice you run typically run 3 midweek runs, and a Saturday LSR - well the boards plan just has an added 2/3 recovery miles on a Sunday. Check it out

Hadn't realised there was the 5th day running in the boards plan.
    Maybe I'll stick with the Hal plan but seeing as I'm already ahead of the starting point on that one, I'll try to up the distances of the LSRs in that plan to match up with the LSRs in the boards plans (if that makes sense).

Anyway - let's see how the next few months go first!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hi pd79 and welcome to the thread! We'll certainly try help you hit the goal of finishing in one piece :)

Don't worry about not doing enough running this year so far, you have 7 weeks-ish before the plans even start, so try get into a good routine between then and now (if you're not already). Do you know what plan you will follow?

I've printed off hal higeon one and looks doable, is boards one up yet ?

pd79 wrote: »
    I've printed off hal higeon one and looks doable, is boards one up yet ?

Yep, its also linked in the first post on the thread (same sheet but different tab). Worth having a look before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Congrats on entering your first marathon Lombardo123! I'd say you could knock a bit off that 10k time, but let's not worry about that right now!

Do you think you could run 4 days a week? I know you say 3 or 4, but honestly 4 is the more ideal number. The Boards plan is a great one, and has gotten many the novice in good shape for the big day.

What pace are you running the couple of runs a week currently? You can use a pace calculator to check what your actual easy pace should be.

Thanks for the link. My runs at the moment would be 5.00 per km for the shorter runs, say 8k. Then if I was doing a 12k, it would be 5.15 or so.

In the link above, I've input 3.59.59 just to best 4 hours. It's telling me 5.40 a km is the pace at which to run.. Which points out my fears above. I've been going out of the gate too fast!

Re 4 a week.. I'll have to make it work. Already I can see so many comments saying to do ourselves justice it has to be 4. I'll do it!

Thanks for the link. My runs at the moment would be 5.00 per km for the shorter runs, say 8k. Then if I was doing a 12k, it would be 5.15 or so.

In the link above, I've input 3.59.59 just to best 4 hours. It's telling me 5.40 a km is the pace at which to run.. Which points out my fears above. I've been going out of the gate too fast!

Re 4 a week.. I'll have to make it work. Already I can see so many comments saying to do ourselves justice it has to be 4. I'll do it!

Bear in mind you won't be running many days at the possible marathon pace either, they'll be well slower again... it may shock you but practice running at over 6 mins a km - the more over the better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

py wrote: »
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5Km time of 22:40 in Spring 2019 at a Parkrun and 10Km at Dublin Night Run a few weeks back of 50:50.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No, have become quite good at reading what my body is telling me in relation to pace at the distances I have run.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Parkrun on a Saturday morning and usually try get another 5-10Km mid week at lunch time.
    Currently in training for a cycling event in early June so once that is done and dusted I'm hoping to get up to the required 4 days per week of running.
    I commute 5 days a week on bicycle which results in 80-90Km on the bike which is mostly low intensity.
    Have done a good few long distance cycling events (100-200Km) and at this stage have nailed my nutrition for those, hoping that side of things transfers over to running.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    4 hours is the dream and hopefully realistic time too but failing that, finishing would be an amazing achievement as I'm only running about 6 months.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days should be quite manageable as I'll get the midweek runs done during lunch time in work. The LSR at the weekend is where I'll need to get buy in from the OH/Kids. Planning on doing the Hal Higdon training plan.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    At 195cm and 100Kg, getting my body around the course it what scares me the most. I'm also concerned that my body will breakdown during the training and result in me going in to the event being under prepared. Dropping 10Kg prior to the event would help an enormous amount.

Why are you running this marathon?
    For the challenge.

Welcome, Py. Looks like we'll be coming to you for nutrition advice!

When's the cycling event? Will you keep the cycle commute once you're finished the event?

If you could add another day of running over the coming weeks, that would be great. Hal Higdon looks like a good fit for you. Ideally, you will build slowly to four days running a week before the plan starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Great to have you join Bananaleaf! You're in an excellent position of being used to running 4 or 5 days a week already and I'm happy to see you keep some of them good and slow :) What plan do you think you will follow?

Thank you ReeReeG. I'm tentatively leaning towards the boards plan

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Hi there, delighted to be on board, running for three years now.
    Pb 10 km 55 mins 2 years ago( time getting worse though). Half marathon 2.16.
    Don't take walking breaks. Spinning onces a week . Run three times a week.
    Hoping to finish the marathon in one piece , would be happy to complete in under 5hours. Will follow the novice plan. Excited but nervous about training

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Jumping in here too. I dipped in and out in 2015 but aim to stick to a plan this year.
    Have you raced before? Yes but I’m getting slower ( at 52)
    If so what are your PBs? 5k -24:20
    10k -50:59
    Half marathon 1:56 - all four years ago
    Marathon 2015 4:17:55

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Not much right now- two 6/8km runs and one longer run a week.
    Not with a club, no formal training.
    Will have more time during the summer.
    Last long run 12 miles on Monday

What do you want to achieve?
    Sure I’d love to break 4 hours but think 4:10/4:15 is achievable
    But i’ll be happy with under 4:30 and stay injury free

How many days a week can you train?
    Four or five but one will be cycling or a strengthening class

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!)
    Injury

Did the first one to tick a box before I was 50 . Never planned another one but lots of friends doing the Dublin marathon this year and if you can’t best them, join them..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Treviso wrote: »
    Finally the thread has started!! I've been reading through last years thread and also follow a lot of training logs in here so it made sense for me to join this group.

I started running last October after deciding that playing soccer was causing me too many injuries - had to figure out a new way to keep myself fit. My wife is a great runner so I reluctantly started too.

But I'm really enjoying it I have to say, especially when you notice the big improvements over time. I'm currently following a P&D 30 mile plan for the Cork Half Marathon

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 5k - 23 mins parkrun early January (hope to smash that this Sunday in the Bweeng 5k)
    10 mile - 74.30mins (Mallow in March)
    Latest race was The Great Railway 25k run which I did i in 2hrs5min (avg 8.02)
    Hoping/Plan to do the Cork half in 1.40

Im up to 30 miles per week, 4 days a week

Going to train for a 3.30 marathon - running the 25k @ 8min mile influenced this decision

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Going to increase to 5 days a week running, and use the P&D Advanced 50 mile plan. Looking at the plan, it will be tough but looks enjoyable. I like the progression long runs that I currently do.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Apart from injury, which is everyone's fear, my biggest concern is I will never be happy with the times I run. I will constantly seek to improve and improve those times whilst never enjoying the actually achievement of running them

I started running to keep fit, I entered the Cork Half Marathon to have something to aim for. I entered the DCM2019 cos it was selling out fast - is that how these things always work out!?

Looking forward to joining in with this new group and see what we can all achieve together.

Welcome, Treviso. First off, good luck on Sunday. Be sure and report back on how you get on.

If that's the P&L plan from Faster Road Running, I've followed it a couple of times myself. It should stand you in good stead for Cork.

I don't have the Advanced Marathoning Plan to hand but I'll have a wee look tonight. I'd be interested if some of the more experienced Boardsies could chip in on an opinion on using it for a first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

So exciting to see this thread up and running! Joining it and running the marathon last year was one of the best things I've ever done. You're all in for a hell of a ride... :pac: Good luck and most importantly enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Exciting times! Best of luck to all novices. It's a great thing to be part of and makes the training so much easier as you feel like part of a group working towards a common goal. And having guidance from the excellent mentors means you have the best chance of getting to the start line healthy and well trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've set up a Strava club for our novices: https://www.strava.com/clubs/523351:

Remember - if it's not on Strava it didn't happen :pac:

I've made the club invite-only, so when you apply to join, if you could also send a PM with your Strava name to myself (or ReeReeG or Huzzah!) and we'll accept you into the group.

One important point for any novices to bear in mind on Strava is not to be intimidated by the paces or mileage of others. There will likely be plenty of experienced and faster runners in the group. They are following their plans, stick to your plan and your paces, nobody is judging. As you get to know your fellow novices it is really interesting (and motivating) to see what, when and where they are doing their training.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Yep, its also linked in the first post on the thread (same sheet but different tab). Worth having a look before you decide.

Found it thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Welcome, Py. Looks like we'll be coming to you for nutrition advice!

When's the cycling event? Will you keep the cycle commute once you're finished the event?

If you could add another day of running over the coming weeks, that would be great. Hal Higdon looks like a good fit for you. Ideally, you will build slowly to four days running a week before the plan starts.

Would be happy to help with nutrition if I can. I've definitely found it to be subjective but happy to go through what I've tried and what works for me now whilst on the bike. This stuff may change for running so I'm keeping an open mind for it as I start out on this path.

Cycling event is 2nd week in June. Definitely will be keeping up the cycling commute after the event but can keep it to recovery/endurance pace for the duration of the week as I'm not really in any great hurry on the bike, just prefer this way of commuting. I do take the bus the odd time to rest the legs now so will probably do that too when the running training starts ramping up.

I'm going to be adding that extra running day next week.

Forgot to add, this will be my first marathon.

Thanks for running this thread, very informative so far.

• Advertisement

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Thank you for starting the thread Mr Guppa

Here are answers!!

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    PB's are a good few years ago so I am not taking them into account.
    Did Limerick Marathon in 2015 4:09 and 2016 4:14.
    Ran the Limerick Half Marathon at the weekend in under 1:57 so that is more of an indication of where I am

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Yoga once a week
    Swim once a week
    3 runs a week, fast 5k, marathon pace 10K, longer run at the weekends

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    First ambition is to enjoy the race and run all 26.2 miles
    Dream finishing time 3:59:59
    Realistic finishing time a pb of under 4:09

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Will be running 3 times a week

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Getting injured
    My life getting in the way of running or running getting in the way of my life

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I want to have the experience of running a big city event. The Limerick Marathon while well run for parts is just like a small club race. When struggling at the end of the Limerick Marathon the fast half marathoners pass you by which is soul destroying. In Dublin everyone is in the same both

Welcome Limerick91! The finishing miles of Dublin is a memory of last year that really stayed with me. It felt like there was supporters everywhere, and really helped me tough it out when the body was suffering! The closing stretch was just a wall of noise! Running DCM as your first is a great decision I think.

A PB seems achievable based on your half time, and I'd be recommending the boards plan for you if you could commit to the 5 days? You're not the first person to say they plan on training for 3 days a week, and I've got to say it's not enough.

This time last year I was running 2-3 days a week, covering maybe 15 mpw, and the thoughts of running 5 days per week seemed ridiculous. But, as per the plans, I slowed my paces right down which meant I was fresher and able to run more often. I work a 24/7 shift pattern and I'd concerns about actually finding the time to squeeze in all the runs, but I found a way - be it late evenings, early mornings, lunchtimes, pretty much whenever I had a window. It took a bit of planning but it was very doable.

Hi folks

I dont know where to start here lol

Ok i trained and ran Dublin 2018

I was way too heavy, training 24 stone 5 feet 8

The training went well and ran up to 18 miles twice, in fairness things went against me on the day and it was because I missed a good few runs and while i was training i was trying to avoid hilly areas around kildare.

I cant state this enough respect the distance

The day of 2018 arrived up and started well the first few km were great felt great. Did damage to my knee at around 4 miles in and my feet blistered terribly

At 4 miles i had decided keep going and run walk

At 8 miles the pain got to the unbearable point and was brisk walking.

At the half way point in Crumlin i was struggling to walk in pain

I could have pulled out but the training was in my head and i went on.

From the 17 mile point i was hobbling couldn't even walk and i fought to the end to finish in 7 hours 55 minutes

This year will be different, 4 stone down in last 3 months and i feel great. I have ran very little since Dublin as my feet were basically two open wounds for 3 months and i was feeling sorry for myself

Started back this morning im gonna do it differently this year make sure i train well and keep the diet on point

Wishing you all the best

Btw most have positive experiences marathon day, mine were weight related and hope to put it right this year.

Also i cant state enough the sense of achievement of finishing no matter how you cross tbe line 26 miles is 26 miles

Hi DARK-KNIGHT.

Wow! That sounds like a hell of an ordeal last year - I've nothing but admiration for the absolute dogged determination I'm sure it took to reach the finish line last year. Unbelievable - well done!

Over the next few weeks just take it nice and easy, and build the mileage back up ever so gradually. Do you have a plan in mind for this year?

Wombled wrote: »
    Hi there, delighted to be on board, running for three years now.
    Pb 10 km 55 mins 2 years ago( time getting worse though). Half marathon 2.16.
    Don't take walking breaks. Spinning onces a week . Run three times a week.
    Hoping to finish the marathon in one piece , would be happy to complete in under 5hours. Will follow the novice plan. Excited but nervous about training

Hi Wombled! Delighted to welcome you on board! Your'e right to be excited - it's an exciting time! It looks like you've a nice base routine there that will stand you in good stead as the training begins. What type of mileage would you run in a typical week at the moment?

Animella wrote: »
    Jumping in here too. I dipped in and out in 2015 but aim to stick to a plan this year.
    Have you raced before? Yes but I’m getting slower ( at 52)
    If so what are your PBs? 5k -24:20
    10k -50:59
    Half marathon 1:56 - all four years ago
    Marathon 2015 4:17:55

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

Not much right now- two 6/8km runs and one longer run a week.
    Not with a club, no formal training.
    Will have more time during the summer.
    Last long run 12 miles on Monday

Sure I’d love to break 4 hours but think 4:10/4:15 is achievable
    But i’ll be happy with under 4:30 and stay injury free

How many days a week can you train?
    Four or five but one will be cycling or a strengthening class

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!)
    Injury

Did the first one to tick a box before I was 50 . Never planned another one but lots of friends doing the Dublin marathon this year and if you can’t best them, join them..!

Hi Animella - good to have you with us! With that type of long run under your belt already you are in a great spot to be facing into marathon training. Do you have some recent race times to get an idea of what your current training paces should be?

frash wrote: »
    Hadn't realised there was the 5th day running in the boards plan.
    Maybe I'll stick with the Hal plan but seeing as I'm already ahead of the starting point on that one, I'll try to up the distances of the LSRs in that plan to match up with the LSRs in the boards plans (if that makes sense).

Anyway - let's see how the next few months go first!

I did the boards plan last year and loved it. The Wednesday session in that plan was always one I looked forward to - I always found it a nice change of pace (literally).

But you're right - try and keep at a consistent 4 days a week for the next while and see what you think towards the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Hi Animella - good to have you with us! With that type of long run under your belt already you are in a great spot to be facing into marathon training. Do you have some recent race times to get an idea of what your current training paces should be?

Thanks a million, Mr. Guappa.

Last half marathon - London Big Half this March in 1.59:22
    Last 10k two weeks ago 54:55

I seem to have one pace at the moment, my half marathon pace 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hi Laineyfrecks, and welcome to the thread!

Those are some very good 5k and 10k times, and that 4 hour aim is definitely not out of reach, but you are 100% correct not to worry too much about that for now.

You will be well able for the Boards plan. Getting injured is part and parcel of running, but the sensible training in the plans here will ensure that you are minimizing the risk of injury.

Best wishes to your friend, and you've very admirable reasons for doing this.
    Great to have you onboard!

Thanks a mill, great to have support & advice! I have downloaded the boards plan & will take a look at it. I have a couple more short races signed up, always chasing that PB then my focus will solely be on the Marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Wow it’s this time of the year again!

Best of luck to each and every one of the 2019 Novices. Ye are in for one huge roller coaster ride but rest assured you are in the best possible hands with this years 3 mentors. They were all in your runners not that long ago and came through the other side so put your faith in them.
    My own advice to ye is don’t be afraid to post regularly in the thread, the only silly question is the one not asked. I would encourage ye all to post at least weekly even if it’s just a progress report of your previous weeks runs and how you found them and the plan. If you are unsure about how a run went etc you can be sure there is someone else in the same boat.
    The thread is also a great motivation tool in itself and you are going to make some great “internet friends” along the journey! You are all going to do something that less than 1% of the general population have done but it’s not all about the final destination but about the journey shared!

Big shout out to my own “internet friends” Mr Guappa, Huzzah, and ReeReeG. The novices couldn’t have asked for better mentors and ye are going to do a smashing job.

Hi DARK-KNIGHT.

Wow! That sounds like a hell of an ordeal last year - I've nothing but admiration for the absolute dogged determination I'm sure it took to reach the finish line last year. Unbelievable - well done!

Over the next few weeks just take it nice and easy, and build the mileage back up ever so gradually. Do you have a plan in mind for this year?
    Ill probably follow the same official dcm plan i did last year

My main aim is to lose as much weight as possible before the day

Thats all i can do different and just do the training fully

Thanks for replying

I didn't mean to intimidate anyone re the marathon but people need to know respect the distance, we will all get there but might aswell get there safely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Thanks Mr Guappa, a few hiccups lately so not as much miles as I hoped for, probably only around 12 miles at the moment. 20 miles back in March. Had a foot issue not a running related injury buts its getting better now.

Advertisement