Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Golf Goals

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    Try and play a small draw that goes out a yard or two but comes back to centre by the time it lands, especially off the tee

Oh right, you could have just said learn to draw the ball haha :)

I actual thought you were planning to run some kind of marketing campaign to promote a draw you were running In order to get get rid of an excess child :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can use adverts for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Good job Kiith for starting this annual thread.

This year I'm having no goals just focusing on the habits.

1. Keep a good tempo in my swing. [Much better]
    2. Practice short game from 100 metres in every week including putting practice[not enough putting but plenty chipping and pitching ok].
    3. Avoid my annual swing collapse. [bit of a dip in high season but no collapse]
    4. Play regularly with loads of new courses. [played very regularly, not enough new courses though]
    5. Enjoy every minute of every game. [mostly yes]

I believe if I keep these habits then the prizes and handicap drops will look after themselves.

Added my updates [above]. Flat year on the handicap, started 16.0, went out to 17.0 and back to 15.5 and out to 16.0 for the finish.
    I had great spring form, high expectations for summer which didn't quite happen. Played lots of casual golf with my son and his buddies, friends, society. Played on 2 inter-club teams and have a few new friends and acquaintances from those.
    Generally have a more consistent game with most games in the buffer zone or close. Tempo is definitely better. More relaxed attitude to bad shots too and an acceptance that a really good round will only come a few times a year.

Over winter I'll get a few lessons and put in a bit of time on the range as much for an outlet as for practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Didn't post here at the start of the end of the season but returned to golf after a 10 year hiatus this year. Previous lowest handicap of 16. Started the year @ 18, quickly got to 13 after some lessons but plateaued there for most of the summer and went out to 14. Three putting and double bogies being my Achilles heel. Did another tranche of lessons before the end of the summer and got to 11.4 by season end which was great! Final qualifying round I broke 80 for the first time and it was my first round with no double bogey or a three putt. All milestones achieved in one round.

Putting still a major weakness but will work on it over the winter. Next years goal is to get to single figures! But I need to shoot under 80 consistently to do so. Right now putting and driving are where I lose most shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

RoadRunner wrote: »
    1) Gel with the new putter to reduce 3 putting

My one and only goal for the year was just recently completed (but with a different putter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Home for the summer and plan to play a lot! Due to time/cost can’t play a lot at the moment. Last 9 hole scores have been 50, 43, 52, 48 and 47

- Finally get a handicap( felt I wasn’t playing well enough to bother last year!)
    - Break 95(July) was heading for a 92 or 91 last year and had an 11 on the last hole��
    - Shoot 6 pars in a round
    - Break 100 in Birr, Esker Hills or Moate(Birr is so hard!)
    - Break 95 in Moyvalley/Tullamore
    - Play Rathcore or Meath golf club and break 100( used to live up that direction)
    - Birdie a par three on 2 different courses
    - Play 2 new courses
    - Hit 14 pars or bogeys in a round
    - Play a round with no triple bogey
    - Break 90(August)

So getting back to this and bearing in mind there will be time for 2 or 3 rounds yet before the end of the year!
    -My handicap is 18. Feel it's like a default one:rolleyes: Handed in cards of 98, 95 and 93 strokes and was being very hard on myself!
    -I never broke 95 in July though I'm pretty sure I shot 95 three times alone in July!
    - Shot 5 pars I think and def shot 4 pars and a birdie and maybe more than once.
    -Broke 100 in Birr!!! Delighted! Feel it's very tough for me as at least 4 of the holes need 160+ carries otherwise you're spat back down the hill. Not cool as I have a low trajectory. Played Moate once and gutted not to break 100. Played crap and really feel the course is nice but greens are tiny! Never got around to Esker Hills.
    - Shot 97 in Moyvalley but def could have been lower. Tullamore was never on this summer.
    - Never got to play Rathcore or Meath:(
    - I chipped in on the 17th par 3 for a birdie in Ballinasloe and birdied the second in the Heath! Birdied a few par 4's too.
    - Played Citywest(played poor so don't like it!) and The Heath(played great, love it!) and prob played somewhere else new too
    - I did not have a round with 14 pars or bogeys. Maybe got 12.
    - I did have a round with no triple! Hit 8 doubles though!
    - Finally... never broke 90 in August. That 90 I shot in The Heath(par 71) was really a 92 or something due to not re-hitting a tee shot! I didn't know though! One that got away!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »
    So i've decided that this is going to be a good year for my golf. Was thinking about what i wanted to happen, and thought it would be interesting to see other peoples goals.
    1. Cut my handicap by at least 3 points. This will be tough, as i stayed at 17 last year, but i'm confident i'll be able to do after sorting out some issues in my game, and once i get back to playing regularly.
      Nope, stayed exactly where i was all year. Will try again next year.
    2. Win my first competition. Was beaten on the back 9 at the start of last year, before my game went to ****, so i'd like to win something this year.
      Also nope, though i did get 2nd in a tournament in February. Went downhill from there.
    3. Fix my short game, as anything withing 50 yards is a hit or miss currently. Need to be putting myself in a position to hole my putts.
      I've gotten better, but still a lot of work to do there.
    4. Play some new courses, as i haven't really experienced many of the courses around Ireland.
      Played a lot of nice courses this year, mainly with the boards society. Looking forward to joining a new course this year, and playing even more with the soc.
    5. Have a good first drive in our yearly trip to Enniscrone. 3 times last year i ****ed it up, and can't have that happen again :pac:
      Too right i did. First tee, first day, absolutely smashed it over the corner. Right in front of my boss too, so that added to it :P

Mainly, just get more games played.

Played more this year, but still not enough to actually improve all that much. Found it pretty frustrating at times tbh. It'll get better next year though, with me being closer to the course and having sorted out transportation.

Driving range and club all within 10 minutes means a lot more practice, which is what the main issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Probably some carry-over from last years goals (which weren't achieved :o)
    • Get to Single Figures (currently 11.6) - Finished year at 9.6. Hit single figures briefly. Couldn't hold on to it though
    • Improve number of Up & Downs (at around 20% currently) - Finished at 22%, so not great. Went to a short game lesson a few weeks ago, so hopefully will pick up
    • Get to the majority of Boards Society Outings & Make the Jug Team - Made the Jug team & won our match, but had to rely on a Captain's pick
    • Try retain the Boards Society Captains Prize (think maybe I'd be the first to do that :D) - Finished as Runner-up, thought I had managed it, except for that bloody Alanm fella
    • Win a home club competitionPicked up a couple. Won a gross prize. Won my class in the Captains prize & one of the medals. Won our club swap with New Forest. Was also on the team that won the final day of our winter league

End of year update. Pretty good overall

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

End of year update. Pretty good overall

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »
    1) Get the h/c down somewhat. Had wanted single figures in mind last year, but didn't even get cut. So get to Category 2 would be nice and manageable

2) Win a comp would be nice, not important and if I don't do it I won't class it as a failure.

3) Try get to some more opens/play more courses

4) Do a level par 9 at home club (36). Actually did a 37 last year which was unreal. I'd say this would nearly be my hardest goal.

Tbh, once I'm enjoying it and playing semi-decently I'll be happy. If none of the above are achieved, so be it

1. Achieved, off 12 now although no margin for error.

2. Won a non-qualifying comp early in year, so I'm gonna claim this one.

3. Slightly done. Got to play Fermoy, Monkstown, Enniscrone and Strandhill. Would have liked more but all good spots.

4. Not done. Didnt have any standout moments even when getting cuts.

Tbh I had great fun this year. Made the Pierce Purcell team which was easily best craic I've had playing golf ever. Didnt think I'd ever be golfed out by May, but I pretty much was.

Be a different kettle of fish next year, trying to squeeze in the odd game when I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

1. Get my range swing working on the course. I frequently revert to my "old" swing under pressure, or fight between the two. I have to solve this to accomplish any other goals, so this one is by far my most important
    2. Place in the top 3 at least a couple of times across the 2 societies I play in
    3. Play more new courses, I would say at least 10 but as many as 20. Have already done 1 and have a 2nd this weekend!
    4. Get my handicap down to 18 (from off 22 currently)
    5. Figure out how to practice putting more, it's difficult to practice this when I am not a member anywhere currently

1. Made progress on this, but still work to be done
    2. Done
    3. Done
    4. Not done, just joined a club and am at 20.5
    5. Not done but now have the facilities to do this

Looking forward to being a member at a club again, my 2020 goals will mostly be centered around playing more club competition golf and getting my handicap to 18 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

1) Play good golf - might be unrealistic to say get back to Cat 1 - but will be a consequence of good golf.

I didn't play great golf some good rounds, 74, 75 , but was a fairly poor year of golf

2) Get the kids playing a bit more - and down to the club.

Yes , got this done and more to do - was great fun kids love golf

3) Always want a round in the low 70s at some point in the season - but not easy to do in competition.

Yes kind of got this done, but in fairly minor club events or society stuff

4) Play a few more top courses - to my shame have not hit Donegal yet.

Yes thanks to boards got to play in St Andrews , Kerry and Donegal - I'm almost at the end of the full Irish Links journey

Haven't practiced in months - so early days to get back playing decent stuff.

Updates - before my 2020 stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Get to single figures from 10.4
    Stop getting worked up about medals and allow myself to enjoy challenge more
    Make provincial town team
    New golf bag and a putter with a butter soft feel to it
    Sort my chipping, tis killing me

Had a right year, down to 5.9, the provincial town really got me focused, have pretty much replaced all my clubs/bag/shoes with upgraded models and am settled on a 2 ball odyssey putter. A mate helped me out with the chipping after -soft hands, square address with a putter swing works well most of the time.

Overall delighted with that progress and keen to build and enjoy more next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

As far as I can remember my goal was to get out of my own head and enjoy it more.

Done!

Enjoy your winter golf folks. Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Keep swinging!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

benny79 wrote: »
    Mine are:

1) Win a comp at my new club
    2) Try win a medal (this has being a big goal of mine for years)
    3) Win a boards outing and make the team on my own merits ;)
    4) keep compressing the ball and taking divots
    5) keep working on chipping have improved a good bit
    6) HC @ 17.6 im well able for 14 but just want it down to be honest
    7) break 80 (being very close a few times)

I have a big golfing year ahead of me and I am going to enjoy every minute of it good or bad.

1- Done had 1 and a good few 2nds & 3rds

2- Failed. But next year is our year ahem.. I mean my year ;)

3- Didnt win a outing came 2nd or 3rd in Portmacnock I think did make the team on my own
    though. so half done. lol..

4- Failed. Started off well but lost it but lost it during the summer back to a better strike with
    lessons & a handy training aid. Just need plenty of reps & practise.

5- Have improved more work needed though.

6- Hc got down to 17.2 but sadly went back out to 18.2 but my bad days are a lot better and
    understand my swing and misses a lot more.

7- Know where near didn't break 90 much.. lowest was 85 but never went over a 100 even
    on really bad days when I lost interest. But my new course is a lot tougher than my old as
    you really need to get off the Tee.

Overall I didnt have a great year golfing score wise but I did really enjoy the year. So many memories! St Andrews was a unbelievable experience and the laugh and craic was unreal! One of the best holidays I ever had cant wait for Portugal. I really enjoyed my year as Captain of the boards society even though it was a bit stressful but have to say absolutely loved it! some great memories and new friends made who are as crazy about this game as me! which will make me enjoy next year even more! I have some great memories from the year on a golfing front that will last me a life time!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Play junior cup
    Play jimmy Bruen

With whatever time I have left play the number of comps I need to play to keep an active handicap

Hopefully make a boards outing ;)

I was on the junior cup panel but well down the list of competitors
    I was asked to play bruen but turned it down, was playing no golf at the time.

I did manage to play about 15 comps though and kept my handicap active lol

Didnt make a boards outing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

idle wrote: »
    1. Get down to 7 having reached 8 a few years ago (currently 10)

2. Win a club comp

3. Eliminate acting like a dick after 3 putting

4. Try to enjoy it

Achieved the most important two

Currently off 11

No W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Macker1 wrote: »
    I just want to start enjoying golf again. Its a while since that happened mostly down to the frustration of poor playing. Very stagnant last year with no improvement whatsoever.

Due to increasing demands on my time from work and life I couldn't play or practice as much and this led to my poor play.

How did my goal for 2019 go.............

Not well......

Didn't really enjoy my golf during the year.......apart from the company I played with..

No progress at all and being honest I don't see much improving unless I free up the time to make more effort. Life/Work has become too busy.

Time to refocus for 2020 and hopefully find a path back to good solid and consistent play.

Happy Xmas everyone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »
    1. Cut my handicap by at least 3 points. This will be tough, as i stayed at 17 last year, but i'm confident i'll be able to do after sorting out some issues in my game, and once i get back to playing regularly.
      Nope, stayed at 17 all year round. Would have gone up if i'd played more.
    2. Win my first competition. Was beaten on the back 9 at the start of last year, before my game went to ****, so i'd like to win something this year.
      Came 2nd in a 12 hole comp in Feb, but that was as good as it got.
    3. Fix my short game, as anything withing 50 yards is a hit or miss currently. Need to be putting myself in a position to hole my putts.
      My putting is getting quite good, but my approach play is awful. Probably the area i need to improve the most.
    4. Play some new courses, as i haven't really experienced many of the courses around Ireland.
      Got a fair few new courses played with the boards soc, and looking forward to even more next year.
    5. Have a good first drive in our yearly trip to Enniscrone. 3 times last year i ****ed it up, and can't have that happen again :pac:
      This one i actually nailed. 3 drives, 3 middle of the fairway. Rest of the rounds were ****e, but that didn't matter :P

Mainly, just get more games played.

I also didn't reach most of my goals. Started out well enough, but lack of a car for most of the year meant i was relying on lifts, and didn't get much chance to play in the 2nd half of the year.

Planning on really going for it in 2020 though, with much more play and practice time. We moved house, and I'm about 6 minutes from new course, and 11 minutes from a driving range that is open early and late, so i will spend a fair bit of time there. Gonna get myself a few lessons first thing in Jan too, so i have the right things to practice.

Roll on 2020 :)

Advertisement