Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    39 points

4 pars
    1 birdie
    2 doubles
    1 scratch

something not adding up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

RoadRunner wrote: »
    something not adding up here?

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

39 points
    No cut
    No cut? How in the name of blazes did you not get cut with 39? Where is that? Scores must be crazy high?

davegilly wrote: »
    No cut? How in the name of blazes did you not get cut with 39? Where is that? Scores must be crazy high?

Ardee
    SS is 68 par 71

Tees were back so I thought I'd sneak a cut but with with slot of high hc golfers and Cat4 effecting the CSS now its css 37 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

31 points
    1 birdie
    6 pars
    3 scratches

Dunno if I'm happy with the score or annoyed. Conditions were tough (was first out, 1 partner finished after 9, saw multiple others come in before us). Striking the ball well, putting let me down big time. The scratches werent all necessarily played poorly, 2 of them were into huge winds (one a par 3 to island green, other a par 5 with no shot). Standing on 17 had a chance to reach buffer zone but somehow, missed the shortest putt of my life so had to really go for it on 18 (failed at that).

Highlight was definitely holing a bunker shot for birdie. Fairly sure I've never done that, or will never do so again. Getting it out was the goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

dan_ep82 wrote:
    Ardee SS is 68 par 71

What's your HC if you don't mind me asking? You seem to shoot close to 40 points every post I see in here

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

25 points off 20 (19.6) yesterday. Got cut to 19.4 from 20.0 after my last 37 points but two rounds in the 20's since after have me back at 19.6 and off 20 again.

I don't think I was actually that bad and none of the four of us in the group scored over 30. It stayed dry but the wind was very strong and difficult to play in. Also, my playing partners seemed to be in some kind of race to finish as fast as possible which I found very annoying as I seemed to be under pressure constantly to play a shot without having any time to think. I didn't know any of them but would try and avoid them in future as that kind of speed doesn't suit me. Putting was chronic again unfortunately and the cause of most of my woes. That plus 2 balls OOB and 4 more in the water!!

Positives were my driving was good for a change. 60% fairways hit.

Birdies - 0
    Pars - 2
    Bogeys - 5
    Doubles - 7
    Trebles - 1
    Scratches - 3

What's your HC if you don't mind me asking? You seem to shoot close to 40 points every post I see in here
    Up to 18.8 from 18.5 at the start of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not make you ripe for winning opens??

I dont actually really play any! Boards outings are really the only different courses I would play during the year. More got to time kids etc than wanting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ardee
    SS is 68 par 71

Tees were back so I thought I'd sneak a cut but with with slot of high hc golfers and Cat4 effecting the CSS now its css 37 at best.

How are ardee's club teams doing this year? Must be flying if you can't get cut with 39 points.

I remember playing Barton against them in 2017, the double figure lads standard was ridiculous.

Don't think I've ever seen an SS more than one under par before, and even one under happens very rarely, need perfect conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

30 points, 89 strokes in fairly wild conditions on Saturday morning. Was qualifier for our singles matchplay, so stableford, but off the medal tees.

CSS ended up coming in at 75 (+3) on the day, so I missed my buffer by 1 stroke (was an almost constant result last year)

Best score on the day was 34 points, so I wasn't a million miles out of it in the end. Main hole I'm left rueing is our 10th, a very short par 4 (about 250yrds off the blues). Strong wind was in to my face, so was no point in taking it on with the driver (needs about a 240yrd carry to clear the water in front of the green from the blues). So, played sensible & hit a perfect 7iron out the middle fairway. Proceeded to take 5 shots to get down from the middle of the fairway. So a scratch where even a point would have resulted in a buffer.

So, a bit disappointed with the score in the end. Had a couple of lip-out putts too, which on another day would probably have dropped.

Was easily 4/5 points left out there on the course.

Pitching & chipping was much improved compared to my last couple of rounds. Driver was a little inconsistent

Highlight was a par on our index 2 16th, a long par 4 which was playing with a strong in & across wind. Hit a good drive, and followed it up with a good 3w, but was still about 15yrds short of the green (a week ago I hit a driver & a 4-hybrid through the back of the green). Played a nice pitch up to a pin in the back corner of the green & made a nice putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

First medal in my new club and its a beast of the blues was really a tale of 2 halfs!

I had 56 strokes on the front 9 :eek: and 42 strokes coming in!

I couldn't get going at all on the front 9 was all over the place and when I went into the trees I was at the butt of one! I really wasn't getting any breaks! Do you ever when you play poor. I even done a fresh air on the first Tee :D Think I was suffering a bit from anxiety was way to tense.. Im struggling a bit with warming up. I usually like to hit 1 or 2 balls before I play doesn't matter where they go but just to loosen up and feel my swing.. Plus the fact the first 3 holes are tough..

but Im glad I pulled it back on the back 9, I said to myself I need to break 100 after a 56 it was a tough ask but glad I did as I really had no excuses.. Just being struggling a bit last couple of weeks but its definity a mental thing.. Need to get my game back as qualifying has just started..

On the plus side I since found out that they have a net you can hit into.. ha.. its out of the way and nearly in the ditch..lol.. but it will definitely help with warming up! A lesson tomorrow to keep the work ive been doing up. My swing has definitely much improved connection is great and taking divots getting spin on the ball too just need everything to click and i'll be flying.

Hoboo wrote: »
    How are ardee's club teams doing this year? Must be flying if you can't get cut with 39 points.

I remember playing Barton against them in 2017, the double figure lads standard was ridiculous.

Don't think I've ever seen an SS more than one under par before, and even one under happens very rarely, need perfect conditions.

Not something I'd follow so wouldn't be sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Played first medal of the year on Sunday. Had a stable but uninspiring 18 points on front nine. I know its was strokes play but helps me feel how I'm playing. Collapsed on the back nine.

Went out yesterday and played off exactly the same tees for redemption and had 19 points on front nine and collapsed on second again.

Stuck between swing changes I expect this will be the story for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

9 hole competition. 21 points. Scratched the last. birdie putts on 5 greens, par putts on 3 greens and a nightmare on the last and a triple bogey. Best 8 holes of golf I think I've played ever, so delighted with it and I won the competition, even with a -1 for finishing 2nd in same comp a few weeks back... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

2 weeks ago in straight foresomes I met my partner for the first time ever on the first tee for qualifier. not ideal especially for hitting alternate shots
    we did ok, were the last team through the strokeplay qualifier, 9 shots off the winners
    draw is based on seeds and we as last place qualifiers play the winners which happened yesterday.
    we coasted, always in control, 3 up after 10. but a few sloppy shots saw them cut our lead to 1 up and 3 to play. I am up out of the tee shot on 16 before I got to the top of my back swing and result is a deep fried egg lie in a very wet bunker. AS, playing 17. we are 170 out on fairway, but a very narrow green with water in front and bunker behind. they are further up, but in rough behind trees, they will have to play out sideways. I could lay up, secure a 5 and hope for at least a half. Pulled a 7 iron and flushed it, pin high, 15 foot left of hole. We needed to win the hole. If I found water, so be it, we were getting up and down all day so worth the risk. They hit an awesome approach but couldn't make the 20 footer for par so we are 1 up playing 18 and I flushed my best drive of the day, probably 100 yards ahead of the oppositions great drive. Approach with trees behind, bunkers short and only about 30 foot deep green, was much easier from close range and needed height to get a bit of stop. They were playing 5 iron, my partner had a wedge. Game over and a nice win … could be a good partnership :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have played a few rounds recently but haven't posted about them.

First off was a 3 man scramble with Slave1 off here & his mate in Mullingar GC on Good Friday, not much to add only it took a while to get going and even longer to get the ball off the tee. Managed to get there in the end and hit some decent shots and approaches but putter was cold. Think we were a shot off the prizes which shows how well the lads played, actually isn't bad for a scramble!! Mullingar is a course i love playing and must say it was in great condition.

The following day I headed off to the European with the society here, head full of dread from the day before and of course on the first tee I lost my ball, followed that up with losing the provisional - a trend which unfortunately stayed with me all the rest of the day. A birdie on the third had me thinking the blip is over but came crashing back to earth for the remainder of the front 9. Reverted back to my 5 iron off the tee for the back 9 and was hitting it fairly well - about 165m, which lift some long approaches but i started scoring!!! Had a few good holes but too more scratches than I’ve had since Christmas all in one round!!

Got out again in the gale force winds on Saturday morning in Tullamore. I've said it to a few lads since but the condition Tullamore is in at the moment is absolutely fantastic, it has to be the best condition of any parkland course in Ireland at the moment and that’s no exaggeration. Wind was very tough to play in and even putts were being pushed off line. Few showers of hailstones made sure you were frozen but within minutes the sun would come back out and the jacket etc would be off again!! Thankfully, I was driving the ball miles and where I was aiming (mostly!) leaving shot enough approaches but a few lapses in concentration cost me a score yet again. Normally the scoring is high here but not on Saturday morning, was about 6 shots less that what normally wins which meant I wasn’t too far off the pace. For the first time in a long time I came off the course buzzing after I had played, was delighted I got up at 7:30 on my day off to play!

My game is coming back around a bit so looking forward to getting out again, hopefully before Esker.

37 Points/39 CSS

Wasn't doing anything great but solid enough overall.
    Changed tee time to the first slot of the day to avoid bad weather that never came.
    6hrs sleep after a long day and I can't remember the third hole at all but got going near the back nine.
    Unfortunatly I'm still finding the rough on the back nine ( 5yds max in) but its really heavy and with the wet weather it's hack out 20yds stuff.

Week off next week with alot of golf planned.
    WiLFmMb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Made my interclub debut today in Jimmy Bruen. Heart rate through the roof on 1st tee with around 20 people watching, made a decent go at it.

Off the 9 tee shots, i found 3 fairways, 1 semi rough, 1 hazard which my partner played out of and 3 out of the 4 greens on par 3s.

Putting was below average, missed 4 from 4-7 feet range.

Finished +10, 9 pars 8 bogeys 1 double. Lost count of the tap ins we had throughout the day.

Missed qualification unfortunately by 5 shots. 3 of our groups were +16 x 2 and +19.

Saturday (Whites)

Pretty mediocre day, didn't feel like I played well but scored ok. I was far from fresh on the first tee so I'm happy with the result.

Sunday (Pro Tees) (today)
    5hr10min round :(
    Pro tweaked the driver I've been demoing and I'm hitting fairways again. Just couldn't put enough good irons together. I was driving the ball great on the back nine and nearly shanking some irons!
    I went straight onto the range after a talk with my pro to bring them back up to an acceptable level.

Got a call around 8pm to go back over to accept my prize for 2nd in my category which was nice, threw my name down last minute after some plans changed and glad i did now.

uVEt6eP.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

What a difference of scores front and back!
    20out 11 back.
    Started birdie par par and was coasting. Got a little shakey for the next 5holes but kept it going.
    Birded 10 and great drive on 11 then just lost my game. Scrambled a bogey then followed with 2 points for the next 5 holes. Lost 5 balls in 4holes.
    Did well not to let the red must descend.
    Must never ever ever think I have this in the bag again.
    Ah well....Next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I played my first comp in little over a year at the weekend. Finished with 28pts (off 18). Had 4 scratches, which really killed me. I started by scratching 3 of the first 4, but managed to steady the ship after that. Positives were my chipping and putting, I didn’t have one three putt which I’m delighted with. A lot to work on this year but glad to be back playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Saturday had half decent stableford score but in a scratch cup so no good there. a triple and a quad on the front and back nine respectively did me no favours.

Then a terrible 22 points on the Monday playing with last years club captain. As usual a couple of lessons have left me with no swing but I'm determined to get it sorted. Committing to what feels like big swing changes so when it goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Out at the weekend for a round with my Dad, and with a fellow Boardsie, Scubapro, who probably isn't on here as much as he used to be.

Was a decent wind blowing in from the north, so it was a bit chilly, but overall a pretty nice day for a round of golf.

Played some very nice golf tee to green:

53% FIR
    61% GIR

But struggled with scrambling & putter:

14% Scrambling
    36 Putts (14 2-putts, 2 3-putts, 2 1-putts)
    really it was the putter that hurt the scrambling numbers. Hit a good number of chips in close enough, but was very pushy over the short putts which was quite expensive.

Shot 83 strokes, for 36 points.
    1 Birdie
    9 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

Was disappointed with my finish, Doubled 16 & 18 from OK positions. 16 is our index 2, a long par 4. Hit a reasonably good drive which left about 190 to the pin. Had my 4 hybrid in hand, which is possibly my favourite club. It was the first time that I was thinking over the ball really all day, and duffed it, leaving about 80yards to the pin. Hit my pitch exactly how I wanted, but misjudged my club choice, landing short of the green. Hit an OK chip to about 4ft, but as mentioned earlier, pushed a straight putt to the right of the hole.

Made a good par on 17. Knew I was close to level 2s at that point. CSS from the whites is generally 37 so in my head figured I needed a par for a chance of a cut on 18. Its a par 5, but indexed around 7 or so. Hit an OK drive, but too tight up the right side to hit more than a wedge up to the corner. was still left with about 200yrds straight into the wind so pulled the 3w out...and pulled it into the trees on the left. Had to knock it low & under the trees, which I managed, but left me stuck with an up & down to try make bogey, which I again, failed to do.

Turned out I had 35 points on the 18th tee, and the CSS on the day turned out to be 35, so a double was a point on the last which gives me a 0.2 cut. (should have been paying more attention really & thought about the CSS. Generally when the prevailing wind blows, its 37, but when the wind flips it usually plays a bit tougher)

A few sloppy shots & some makeable missed putts could have gotten me down towards the 10 mark, so a bit disappointed, but at least its a cut & keeps the handicap going the right direction

Played in the Open in the Royal Curragh on Monday

35pts
    21F/14B

Forgot how nice this course is to be honest. Since I was there last they've fenced off the course so it's in even better nic. The greens were lightning and very true.

They aren't on HowDidIDo so I'm not sure on the exact scoring. I had 5-6pars, one scratch and a birdie and loads of 1 pointers on the back. Played the front nine really well but took a few bad swings on the back nine and a few wrong lines to follow compounding the bad shots.

Played Seapoint yesterday.

Didn't start out well, I was sick the night before and very shaky on the way over but didn't want to pull out as I was the lift for the brother.
    Course was in good condition, greens were actually slower than the Curragh which surprised me as the last time I played there they were stupid quick. Hit plenty of poor shots and a few good ones. Could have had more pars and maybe a birdie if I picked the right clubs on a few holes.

6SWbQEZ.png

38pts
    18F/20B
    A win and a cut of .9 so even though its a bit late I hit my inital goal of 18HC and I'm delighted :D

Feel I have another 2 shots I can scrape off the HC so heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

86 strokes / 37pts at Moyvalley yesterday which I was delighted with as it was the first time I had played there.

Played New Forest today. I was meant to play Mullingar but seen it at the last minute and I hear more about it so decided to give it a shot.

One thing I didn't hear about it was how bloody tough it is. Easily up there with Slieve Russell and Druids Glen for me. Not a flat green in the place and red stakes everywhere. Big bunkers protecting everything , run offs from the greens and 200+yd par3s
    33Pts of 18
    14F/18B

Again no Howdidido so from memory the highlights were 2 scratches,4 pars and a handful of 1 pointers.

The first scratch was silly stuff from a green side bunker. It was much more compact compared the the first one I was in ( done well on it) so bounced the club into the ball, hit a stone on the second swipe and played a good shot on the third which I lipped with the putter.

Second was a good drive, picked the wrong line on a blind tee shot and seen it bounce but too far left. Provo down the middle leaving a PW in. Ball landed to my left during the shot, que water. Frustrating stuff that took a few holes to get over.

Wouldn't see myself shooting a good score there without another few rounds to learn lines and green though to be honest.

Final Comp of the week in my home course today.

Felt a bit ropey again today and I could count on one hand the good iron strikes I hit. Chipping/pitching was great, putting was good and driving was good again.

Course was in great nick and the greens were super slick today with tough positions. Played with the Vice Captain and he told me they're actively trying to bring the CSS/SSS up which is great.

Anyhow,
    20F/20B 40Pts overall with 2nd place and more importantly a cut to 17.4 :D

Scratch on the first was a pull 3i off the tee with a weak swing and didn't play out well after that and carded a 7. Get my irons back to where I want soon and I'm confident I'll go lower. Dropping two playing shots in a week is better than I was expecting so f###ing delighted :D

24sMrFy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Played intermediate scratch in Fermoy last weekend. Had 90 gross, but that includes a quad bogey (on the first), and two triples. So not all bad. Tbh it was a chance to play the course before Pierce Purcell, some trek. Hopefully get to play it in that next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Played 9 holes in Rathsallagh yesterday - (the back 9). 17 points off 18 Hc. Didn’t play the front 9 as there was a society out in 4s and it would have taken hours!

What a stunning course - it really is beautiful.

Spent an hour practising putting after - hopefully that’ll help shave a stroke or two off my next rounds!

Advertisement