Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Racing Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

marvin80 wrote: »
    You mentioned: The future of sport is people picking and choosing what they want to watch via online platforms

Eleven Sports offered this online platform and it failed. Obviously it isn't indicative that every online platform will fail but it's a bad start.

Weighing in late on this but that is more a reflection of the challenging market and potentially poor execution than the format necessarily.

There is a reason that almost all media providers are now providing second screen, watch anywhere options in their packages.

Also, 11sports is nowhere near the "start" of this movement towards offering online platforms. If anything, they are towards the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

naughto wrote: »
    Have many of ye taking out the sub or plan to?
    I don’t no if it’s worth is with two young kids in the house i don’t get to see dam all as it is

Yeah, I took it out, €12 per month is a steal.
    Likewise I’ve two schmallies. My TV is SaorView aerial and Astra Free-to-View satellite.
    It’s less hassle and less money to watch all my racing on iPad. I’ll be cancelling ATR tomorrow (€15 per month).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Attheraces will be no more in a few hours time from now as it will be renamed Sky Sports Racing from tomorrow.

Racing TV will take over coverage of Irish racing from tomorrow, meaning they will have a near monopoly of racing of both sides of the Irish sea.

In my opinion when you have the threat of Brexit which has the potential to create havoc across the racing industry on this island, this move of Irish racing coverage to Racing TV is hugely counter-productive. If it ain't broke don't fix it and certainly that would be the case regards this controversial decision re TV rights for Irish racing. I for one most certainly won't be paying over 300 euro extra a year no matter what for it.

It's a decision that has raised many eyebrows across racing and I hope that this move will backfire spectacularly on Horse racing Ireland and its chief executive Brian Kavanagh who was far from convincing in his answers when promoting this new TV deal.

2019 will be a deeply challenging year for Irish racing for obvious reasons. My hopes for the new year are that Brexit won't take place at all and that the powers that be in HRI will see sense and see that this new TV rights deal is not in the best interests for Irish racing. But those hopes seem like a long-shot at this stage.

How is it going to cost you over €300 extra per annum? I’m actually saving money!

ATR was costing me €180 and the first year of RTV will cost me €144.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Gautama wrote: »
    How is it going to cost you over €300 extra per annum? I’m actually saving money!

ATR was costing me €180 and the first year of RTV will cost me €144.

I believe the headline figure will be around 31 euro per month in time. You say that RTV costs you 144 euro in the first year. You must have got RTV as part of the Black Friday offers. But like sky and so many other platforms the subscription prices will increase and I'm certain that by after year 1 of this RTV Irish racing deal you like so many customers will be forking out an hell of a lot more. Personally its a no thanks for me in spite of the narrative that this new TV deal will be "good for Irish racing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

So from tmrw all irish racing will be free to view on ruk for the month of January apparently. ....so we can watch Fairyhouse and tramore on tv tmrw without having to do anything. ....

Yeah, I took it out, €12 per month is a steal.
    Likewise I’ve two schmallies. My TV is SaorView aerial and Astra Free-to-View satellite.
    It’s less hassle and less money to watch all my racing on iPad. I’ll be cancelling ATR tomorrow (€15 per month).

€12pm??? Whatchutalkinboutwillis

€12pm??? Whatchutalkinboutwillis

Racing TV had a “Black Friday” offer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So from tmrw all irish racing will be free to view on ruk for the month of January apparently. ....so we can watch Fairyhouse and tramore on tv tmrw without having to do anything. ....
    So you are saying the channel is free for January on the sky platform?
    I was just trying to do subscription for a friend this evening and it wouldn't take the sky card number online.

SSR looking decent so far if a little flat-centric. ...willing to hold my judgement for now.....good feat on Warren G earlier to be fair

So.....will RUK be free to air for irish races today as advertised. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anyone signed up with Racing TV? I My son and I were thinking of signing up and splitting the cost. If one of us could watch via satellite, the other could watch online. Would the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

SSR looking decent so far if a little flat-centric. ...willing to hold my judgement for now.....good feat on Warren G earlier to be fair

So.....will RUK be free to air for irish races today as advertised. ...

Checked today on two occasions and RUK was encrypted. Was there conditions to the free view in January ????

Twas free to view all day till around 4pm and then encrypted
    Dunno wats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Was looking for it on the eir box today but nowhere to be seen. Sky racing there, virgin media racing there but no racing uk channel or whatever it calls itself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Racing TV was free to air from 11.45 to 2.45 today. 3 hrs free every day in January as a tempter. Last two races at both Tramore and Fairyhouse weren't covered. Also, they say you can sign up for a free month's trial though not sure what the small print says.

3 hrs free every day?
    Will these be set times etc?

Where u seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

3 hrs free every day?
    Will these be set times etc?

Where u seeing this?

https://www.racingtv.com/racingtvoffers/free-to-view

what a strange concept

Cheers lad

Yesterday’s Racing Post said that TV viewers will pay €31 per month to watch Racing TV and €32 per month to watch Sky Sports Racing.

Yesterday’s Racing Post said that TV viewers will pay €31 per month to watch Racing TV and €32 per month to watch Sky Sports Racing.

If you subscribe to RUK all you get for your money is RUK
    Anyone with a subscription to sky bar the most basic of packages gets SSR free

Put it to you this way, if you get SSN free, then you get SSR free
    and that's 90% of people with Sky

The 2 prices are not relevant to the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

If it is part of your paid subscription how is it free? :confused:

If you get your lunch in the same shop every day, say a sandwich and crisps for a fiver.
    Now, say on Thursday they throw in a can of coke with that, no extra cost....

are you paying for that coke, or is it coming free?

I agree with you, if you pay for it, then it’s not free.
    SSR is not free, it’s paid for as part of a package.

I agree with you, if you pay for it, then it’s not free.
    SSR is not free, it’s paid for as part of a package.

It’s a bit like the Irish Water debate. For most of the population the water had never been free, it was paid for our of general taxation.

I know, I know... don’t go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

Trimmed my sky package down to basic earlier this year...28 euro...no racing...rang them...the package that contained the racing was an extra 10 euro...now my bill is 38...please stop saying its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You assume that everyone is a Sky subscriber.

That is NOT the case.

People need to distinguish between Free to View and Free to Air. The former still requires subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

If you get your lunch in the same shop every day, say a sandwich and crisps for a fiver.
    Now, say on Thursday they throw in a can of coke with that, no extra cost....

are you paying for that coke, or is it coming free?

What? That isn't like for like at all.

It is more like you pay for ten items from a shop then claim one of them was free.
    It's not!

SSR is one channel included in your package. It's not that when you buy X package you get it free, it is part of the package

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

flos1964 wrote: »
    Trimmed my sky package down to basic earlier this year...28 euro...no racing...rang them...the package that contained the racing was an extra 10 euro...now my bill is 38...please stop saying its free.

I pay €32 a month original package and have SSN and Sky sports racing in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

My mistake so...did not know that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Does atr still exist? Or has it morphed into SSR?

Is the Sunday forum gone?

Does atr now have no graded races but great analysis and ruk have loads of races but zero analysis which is a pretty tough watch from What I saw new year day. A mix of both would be a great idea

Tough time to be a fan

Advertisement