Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^^Three Rock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Where is fairy castle?

A couple hours of a walk uphill from Marlay Park via Kilmashogue lane, or a faster but very challenging climb on the bike. If its icy you need studs as the descent is pretty horrible. There is a car park further up Kilmashogue lane, but if it is icy you're better starting from Marlay. You can also get up via Ticknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And so the annual event of winter brings together the brave and the self righteous to argue about the merits of bicycling in the cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Went off road this am. It's just too icy in places to safely go on the road in NCD anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anyone who'd consider cycling in the mountains in weather like this deserves to not be rescued in the event of an accident.

Christmas spirit much?

So, north or Norway or Canada should be paralysed for 6 months a year?

I went up the mountains this morning, conditions were mild in comparison to what I am used to from Poland. I had studded tyres, went on-road, off-road, snow, ice, you name it, not a single wheel slip. https://www.strava.com/activities/1307995966

Its about knowing your skills and good preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

smacl wrote: »
    If you have studs on and don't fancy the hills, the canals can be pretty impressive when frozen too.

I'm barely in the hills when the weather is good..I'm crap at descending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

terrydel wrote: »
    Will reassess in the morning.
    will stay lower if required.

Feck your wimp list! Today up at The Wicklow Gap on the way back over from Roundwood.

Lovely day for it actually.
    wicklow_gap_snow.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

smacl wrote: »
    If you have studs on and don't fancy the hills, the canals can be pretty impressive when frozen too.

I tried it once but the ice broke - got soaked, wasn't pretty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that certainly is not as snowy as we were promised.

i dropped my wife out to her horseriding, passed a hardy soul out on the bike on the old N2, in the pissing rain, and 2C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Garda warning out that Sally gap and all approach roads are impassable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Rode up past Crone wood (S side of Glencree) today, but had to turn back about 2/3 of the way up, when the car ruts ran out. Plenty of snow but road surface was above zero (no ice); a few more cars and it would have been rideable all the way up to the Reconciliation Centre.

Lovely to ride in the snowy countryside, trees looking great, hardly any traffic. Glasses essential in the odd blizzardy bit, but all added to the enjoyment.

Can well believe Sally is unsuitable for road bikes at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Got to 400m asl towards Prince Williams seat. Good to keep the CX skills sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Got to 400m asl towards Prince Williams seat. Good to keep the CX skills sharp.
    That sort of view makes me think "I am going to die here". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Lumen wrote: »
    That sort of view makes me think "I am going to die here". :D

I was out this afternoon between 3 and 5pm around Kildare and Dublin and I had a few unexpected rear wheel slips on back roads. After that I could see the road glistening in places and I was glad to get home in one piece!

Any thoughts for the morning? I'm seeing 0c from 7am and 1c from 8am - will that be enough to keep the roads usable around the suburbs and heading into Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Any thoughts for the morning? I'm seeing 0c from 7am and 1c from 8am - will that be enough to keep the roads usable around the suburbs and heading into Dublin.

Really depends how busy the route is, most main routes usually thaw with the amount of cars on them. Most icy mornings i'll walk the bike out of the estate to main road and avoid all cycle tracks. It's not that frequent, but I find cars a lot more patient even when I'm in the middle of the road. Things to look out for is bridges are generally last to thaw and plenty of motorists who scrape out a letterbox in front of driver's seat and hit the road.

I left my bike in the office on Friday so 'luckily' I get to walk the 10k instead :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Roads around Dublin have been well salted so far, today is the only day I didn't cycle. It's outside the city / quiet estates the problems are, if you can get to a bigger road you'll be grand.*

The parents have 5 inches of snow and ice on every road around them for 8 miles before they get to gritted / salted roads - the mother's 40min commute is now an hour and a half :(

*IMO, this is a science free opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seemed grand this morning, spotted about 15 on bikes and a few runners between 6:30 & 7. Yesterday seemed far worse in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Anyone cycling in galway city this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Decided to drive in today but shoutout to the cyclist braving the N81 from Blessington. Around Brittas and Crooksling was quite bad this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Well that was by far the worst day coming into the city from Lucan so far this year, lots of ice around the estates and even the N4 was bad, it looks wet but it might have been black ice.......I took it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Shankill to Ballsbridge was grand once I got onto the main roads ..... freezing hands though (even with glove liners)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Decided against it this morning and jumped on the Dart. Annoyingly the commute this morning was similar in time to my cycle (when I include showers) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Was ok on the bakfiets this morning. Was probably spared at last a scary skid by a cyclist who emerged from a side road and fell off going round the corner, thus alerting me to the patch of black ice there.

(He was fine.)

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep Green Party: Ossian Smyth

Did anyone experience icy cycle paths around Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown? I asked for the routes below to be salted and was told they all were apart from Blackrock Park. Was this your experience?
    A request has been made to the Parks section to do the Blackrock coastal park route.

High traffic routes:
    N11,
    Rock Road
    Frascati Rd
    Blackrock Park
    Newtown Avenue

bottom of hills:
    Mt Merrion Ave
    Temple Hill
    Glenageary Rd Lower
    Mounttown Rd upper
    Newtonpark Ave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Found it grand/refreshing coming in approx 7am from southside into city. Seemed to be plenty of salting done and anywhere I perceived it to be dangerous, just took the road as opposed to cycle lane. Same as a poster above, only issue I had was even with 2 pairs of gloves, the aul fingertips needed some TLC when I arrived in.

It was a bad start before I left the house when I had to force the wheelie bin lid open, and then had to put a hot water bottle to the shed lock to get the feckin bike on the road. The estate road was terrible, with some nice pools of ice thanks to the folks who used water to defrost the car. Main roads seemed OK, but lots of visible ice where water had pooled in the gutters. I didn't feel any slips on the way. I've never had the Grand Canal bike track all to myself in rush hour before - probably should have stayed on the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The cycle in was grand for me. Portmarnock-> Baldoyle-> Coast road to Fairview on the cycle track. There was frost, and I wasn't going to use the cycle track on the coast as it wouldn't have been gritted but there were others using it so I figured it was safe enough. Took it handy and got on grand, there were obvious patches of ice periodically but otherwise it was just frosty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Did anyone experience icy cycle paths around Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown? I asked for the routes below to be salted and was told they all were apart from Blackrock Park. Was this your experience?
    A request has been made to the Parks section to do the Blackrock coastal park route.

High traffic routes:
    N11,
    Rock Road
    Frascati Rd
    Blackrock Park
    Newtown Avenue

bottom of hills:
    Mt Merrion Ave
    Temple Hill
    Glenageary Rd Lower
    Mounttown Rd upper
    Newtonpark Ave

I came in along Deansgrange Road, Stradbrook Road, Rock Road and all those roads were fine and looked to have been gritted. I did see gritter lorry out last night in Deansgrange area as well going around the estates and smaller roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Dublin South into IFSC along Grand Canal. OK but plenty of icy patches. I'm going to be very cautious pedalling home in the dark. Full beam pointing down.

I haven't seen the canal frozen for years.

38266868494_002bff6e31.jpgIcy Grand Canal bike path

38982853501_27f7c09677.jpg

Advertisement