Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build The Millennium Falcon

• 02-01-2015 1:03am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this?

Saw the ad on tv earlier and signed up, looks amazing, 1:1 scale replica of the Falcon prop used in Empire. You build it yourself over the course of 100 magazines, its one of those subscription based things. works out fairly pricey but its broken up over 2 years and the final result looks brilliant. Im going to give it a go anyways, i was getting that lootcrate thing every month but im gonna cancel that and get this instead.

http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

At over a thousand euro it would want to fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

First mag 2.99 plus 8.99 multiplied by 100 magazines. Mental...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

They reckon to buy a built 1:1 replica of the falcon prop from empire already would cost between 3 and 5grand, maybe i should have posted this in the model making forum instead haha..

First mag 2.99 plus 8.99 multiplied by 100 magazines. Mental...
    Sterling!

keithgeo wrote: »
    They reckon to buy a built 1:1 replica of the falcon prop from empire already would cost between 3 and 5grand, maybe i should have posted this in the model making forum instead haha..

A 1:1 scale model of the ship would cost 3-5 grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's expensive for sure, but you're buying essentially a replica movie prop...it's going to look incredible. Such things don't come cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

No body posted the obvious, 1:1 is full scale !!

And isn't the millenium falcon like 35 metres long or something ???

KTRIC wrote: »
    No body posted the obvious, 1:1 is full scale !!

And isn't the millenium falcon like 35 metres long or something ???

1:1 with the movie prop, as in the filming model (not the stage prop):

guerre.jpg

Though it would be funny if a 40ft truck pulled up at Keiths house with issue #1 :D

haha, yeh sorry 1:1 with the movie prop! would love a full size one.. could rent out the house and live in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Better off buying the updated version that houses the mini-figures for €150.

It had the lights and makes the noises !!! - Plus it won't fall apart as the €1,000 Airfix kit no doubt will !!!

Plus, if you really want to spend €1,000, you could use the change to get the At-At, Tie fighters, X-Wings and all the figures !!!

• Advertisement

Wedwood wrote: »
    Better off buying the updated version that houses the mini-figures for €150.

It had the lights and makes the noises !!! - Plus it won't fall apart as the €1,000 Airfix kit no doubt will !!!

Plus, if you really want to spend €1,000, you could use the change to get the At-At, Tie fighters, X-Wings and all the figures !!!

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine there would be a substantial difference in quality & detail between the toy you mention, & a replica of the filming model. If something makes sounds, it's for kids. While hugely expensive, over 2 years it won't feel so bad...& we'll all look like Greedo when Keith posts pics of it all finished & lit up :D

greedo2.jpg

Just seen the ad for this on tv there, it looks incredible.

Well I'm signed up and all, I understand people think it is expensive but I think the finished model is worth it. To be honest it doesn't compare to lego star wars, it's a film accurate prop. I've got a lego Falcon myself but this is a different level altogether.

Got the first issue, looks good so far, this blueprint is in scale to the finished model, i left a sky remote and mug in the picture to give you an idea of how big it is.

20150111_155953.jpg

Up close of the first hull piece..

20150111_160546.jpg

Looks great Keith, I like the weathering on the hull section. The model is going to be massive :eek:

yeh looks big alright, the hull has some good detail on it but im going to use some dry brushing to make it look more weathered i think. hopefully i dont make a mess of it. the gun turret that comes with issue 1 is metallic silver too and needs painting, despite the fact it says you can do this without painting! it would look stupid i think just a silver gun turret on the model.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It'll be deadly when it's finished alright. I kinda regret not doing it but I have a little lad who is 3 this year so it wouldn't last long

Ive 2 boys 10 and 6 who are going to build it with me, so it will be something to do for the next two years.. my 4 month old girl might have a go at smashing it though in 2 years time haha. Im planning on getting my attic converted this year to hold all my stuff and hopefully get a projector\surround sound system up there so ill be mounting it on the wall with the bracket you get in the last issue. should look great in two years time..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i really would love this, but its unreasonably expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This isn't something I'd ever consider spending money on, but it actually looks surprisingly decent.

I hope you keep updating this thread as you progress because I'd love to see it come together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I see it as a pro / con thing.

Pros:
    - it looks cool.
    - its 1:1 scale.
    - it's a project to build.

Cons:
    - At a grand it's well too expensive.
    - 2 years is too long and it's likely you will miss issues. Be it your own fault or the shop you usually get it from didnt get that issue or simply stops selling them.
    - You'll end up having to order missing issues / and or potentially the remaining issues from the website at a higher cost.

Personally the con's make it not for me :pac:
    But on the subject of these type of magazines. How many times do you see issue 46 of 100 in a shop? I think these things tank-off after time as they never can attract new buyers (well generally) So I think shops then stop selling them.

I dont think its too expensive, the replica model sell for 3 to 5 thousand these days.

I subscribed online so get 4 issues delivered every month, dont miss any, it also costs the same as the shops, free delivery and 5 free gifts over the run.

I will enjoy making it with my two kids, when its finished, at the end i can say i built it myself.

for something i will enjoy doing over the space of 2 years with my kids and they can tell their friends they helped me build it.. i think its worth it.

I will be enhancing it myself using some weathering and mods to the default parts i hope.. if i dont mess it up.. maybe some extra fibre optic lighting, nothing overkill just subtle changes.. i will update this thread every few months with some photos..

BA your right shops do stop selling them after a few issues, the first issues in shops are only to get people on board with a subscription. which as i mentioned above, costs no more and has free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I see it as a pro / con thing.

Pros:
    - it looks cool.
    - its 1:1 scale.
    - it's a project to build.

Cons:
    - At a grand it's well too expensive.
    - 2 years is too long and it's likely you will miss issues. Be it your own fault or the shop you usually get it from didnt get that issue or simply stops selling them.
    - You'll end up having to order missing issues / and or potentially the remaining issues from the website at a higher cost.

Personally the con's make it not for me :pac:
    But on the subject of these type of magazines. How many times do you see issue 46 of 100 in a shop? I think these things tank-off after time as they never can attract new buyers (well generally) So I think shops then stop selling them.

You really have to order them online if you want to keep them up.

Would love to get it but a bit pricey and have nowhere to put it.

Lads it is expensive, but if you consider how much we all individually spend on alcohol, cigarettes, or other weekend crap over a year, then it's pittens.

A lot of hate for the falcon haha.. good point, you wouldnt get far with 44 Euro on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Fair play to you keithgeo. You're clearly a Star Wars fan and you're doing this for all the right reasons; a family activity and a personal project. I've no doubt there'll be a huge sense of pride and satisfaction when you eventually complete it.

I'll definitely be following this thread throughout and look forward to seeing your updates/progress.

keithgeo wrote: »
    A lot of hate for the falcon haha.. good point, you wouldnt get far with 44 Euro on a night out.

You certainly wouldn't, & considering it's €40 a month, it's feck all in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

I think you're mental but definitely hope you keep the thread alive! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You could just do this with it. Keep meaning to get painting this one.

• Advertisement

Thought id give a quick update on where i am with this as i finally took the plunge today and started on it as i had some free time. ive 14 issues so far, ive mainly been looking at what other people are doing with it, learning different painting techniques and slowly buying brushes, paint etc that i will need.

Its obvious to me at this stage that if you just build this and put it together, that it wont look as good as the falcon from the films. It needs to be painted, weathered and modified in places, the gun turret is metal, no paint at all so that for one needs to be painted. So ive been doing a lot of research into model painting etc as i literally have never made or painted a model before.

Here are the seats from the cockpit as you receive them in the mag (not my image) as you can see, the front seats are just red plastic, the back are black with 3 pieces of white painted on for the "cushions" on the chairs.

before.jpg

And below, after 3 hours of painting, weathering and frustration are my ones painted. they look better in person, especially the front seats.

after.jpg

Im happy with them, i think they look a million times better then the stock ones.

I did prime the gun turret pieces but when i went to add a coat of spray paint that is close to the hull pieces colour, the spray can i had was broken or something and covered them with thick blobs of paint. so they currently sit in a tin of turps removing that. luckily they are metal so i can take the paint off. ill update again when i get some more stuff done on it.

Advertisement