Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Of Canada have a new album on the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Fabio

Its too much of a thing for this be fake now so there must be new work on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

www.boardsofcanada.com

pw:699742628315717228936557813386519225

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Bleep is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

www.boardsofcanada.com

pw:699742628315717228936557813386519225

Invalid password

EDIT: My mistake!

At last!! To be honest I'm glad that's all over with, I'm shattered.
    Roll on June 10th

• Advertisement

Can't wait for the album now. It's gonna be amazing!

Can't wait! Loved the way they drew this out!

Love that dark sound.

Maybe they will play a few gigs?

Hopefully. Have they played any Irish dates before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Maybe they will play a few gigs?

Am I dreaming to think they might be a late addition to EP? I think I'd wet myself if it happened :p

Legend has it they played back in 97 in Dublin. I suppose it was a support slot and most likely took place in the Funnell bar, which is sadly long gone.As far as I know it was part of Sotland and Ireland tour. I also heard they may have played in Belfast. I have been meaning to get intouch with Umack on facebook to ask them about it.

I thought they only played about 2 gigs ever?

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Gigs

List of known live performances by Boards of Canada
    Date ↓ Name ↓ Venue ↓ City ↓
    1996-07-19 Autechre Live at the Reach The Reach, King's College London Students' Union London
    1997-02-15 Versivo The Phoenix Manchester
    1997-02-20 Autechre 1997 UK tour The Venue Edinburgh
    1997-07-20 Phoenix Festival Long Marston Airfield Stratford-upon-Avon
    1997-07-26 Sun Flower Festival Herrnwahlthann Regensburg
    1997-10-31 Blech 01 The Powerhaus London
    1998-04-25 Test One Festival Kelham Island Museum Sheffield
    1999-11-05 Warp 10th Anniversary The Z Room, Old Truman Brewery London
    2000-10-14 The Incredible Warp Lighthouse Party The Chainstore, Trinity Buoy Wharf London
    2001-04-07 All Tomorrow's Parties 2001 Camber Sands Holiday Centre Camber Sands

There's bootlegs of the last 3 concerts available to download and I highly recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Here's my original review of Music Has The Right To Children.
    First published in Analogue Bubblebath issue #2. 30 May 1998
    wrote:
    Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children 2xLP (Skam)

Let's start with some background information:
    - Boards of Canada duo Michael Sandison and Marcus Eoin grew up in Calgary.
    - Musically inspired by listening to soundtracks for Canadian TV documentaries.
    - Now live and work in a bunker at Scotland's Pentland Hills.
    - Also part of a wider arts collective, Music 70.
    - Live, Boards of Canada flash subliminal messages on to a backdrop showing Music 70 films.

Now I'm going to talk about the album sleeve. On the front there's a picture of a family of seven. It looks like it was taken circa 1975; their faces are blanked out which gives the whole thing a ghostly feel. When you open it up (it's a gatefold) two of the children are pictured close up; on the back another child features along with the tracklisting. In all three pictures the faces cannot be deciphered. This lends to the mystery of the whole record; its pure simplicity on one level and deep intensity on another. Believe me, once you hear this LP you will get sucked into the dimension that Boards of Canada have created. And this is a good thing, a great listening experience. To the music. . .

The LP begins with one of the several, minute-long musical interludes ("Wildlife Analysis") which sounds exactly like it should - a sonic soundscape of nature with an evocative tone. "An Eagle In Your Mind" and "Telaphasic Workshop" merge caustic beats with melody; the latter having a vocal sample saying "Border in Canada" (I think). The sampled voices work throughout and range from those of children to that of a deep, booming male. "I love you" implores a child on "The Color Of The Fire" while the beautiful but scary "Roygbiv" which concludes Side 2 has yet another child shouting "saved". A lot of tracks remind me of early Aphex Twin, the Ricky D of Selected Ambient Works Volume 1. However the underlying groove throughout is quite original.

"Aquarius" is probably my favourite track so far. (I've only had the album a fortnight). It takes the form of an ambient mood which sounds a tiny bit like some of the tunes on The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (an album which floats; Music Has The Right To Children glides). The surreal booming voice chants "Orange - yeah that's right" which a female begins to count upwards "one...two...." etc. The counting device is one that we have heard before on Spiritualized's "200 Bars" but hear it is present on a different level. When the "squelch" (you know what I mean!) kicks in the combination is sublime.

The interludes give a kind of structure to the album; they slow things down while we prepare for the next assault. The influences here seem to be from wildlife documentaries and children's TV (from the 1970s of course). "Pete Standing Alone" is a plaintive lonely track which has a haunting effect as soon as the sampler starts up. The closing track "One Very Important Thought" is one very strange conclusion. A Canadian woman is talking to us about censorship; what right do we have to be told what we can read, watch or listen to. She implies that Boards of Canada could fall into this category of subsersive material one day. Well if they do it will be because the record companies are running scared and will not be able to compete with such releases of this quality i.e. they will use everything in their power to suppress the competition. Wow, what a concept - Boards of Canada vs. The Music Industry, Before I get carried away I'll wind things down and say that Music Has The Right To Children is the best album released since Entroducing and for that I bestow the ultimate rating (10).

Very nice indeed!
    I would consider that Boards of Canada fall into the category of subsersive material and I thank the Gods for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Here's my original review of Music Has The Right To Children.
    First published in Analogue Bubblebath issue #2. 30 May 1998

Was Analogue Bubblebath a printed magazine?

Would be very interested on the background of it.

The only thing familiar to me is that its named after one of Aphex Twins tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

waveform wrote: »
    Was Analogue Bubblebath a printed magazine?

Would be very interested on the background of it.

The only thing familiar to me is that its named after one of Aphex Twins tracks.

Here you go.

http://zinewiki.com/Analogue_Bubblebath

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Really looking forward to the new Boards Of Canada album , really liked the build up to the way the album was announced , Going to pre order it on Friday.

• Advertisement

I'm very sure we will all be able to listen to the new album on the Saturday and Sunday before it's officially released; So I was wondering if anybody had any plans for celebrating the first listen?
    I'm not sure what I will do but I'm hoping it will last the duration of the night and well into the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'll probably celebrate the first listen with a few jazzy cigarettes. Maybe a cup of tea as well. Whatever time of the night it is I'm going to be blasting it through my speakers at a nice volume.

You can't beat keeping it simple.
    Normally I would do the same but this time it's sort of special...well l like to think so.
    I hope it's not rubbish.

Have the album pre ordered, would love if there was an early release like with the newest Autechre and Plaid albums. Not sure how I'll celebrate the release yet, I'll be listening to it loud through the monitors anyway

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is the video that was shown a couple of hours ago, above a department store in downtown Tokyo. The sound ain't the greatest but I'm loving the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

So far so excellent.....if you're gonna do a marketing campaign in the age of cynicism, this is how. Only one remaining comeback this year .......

7\

What is it now, 2 weeks to the new album :) . Wonder if it's more twoism or music has the right to children style. Either way it'll be good.

Yer man Zane Lowe on BBC radio1 is promising to play a track of the album this evening, actually his show starts in 10 mins.
    Here be link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one

• Advertisement

Zane has just tweeted that he will play da track at 7.55 uk

Advertisement