Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Does anyone know the best time of the month to get measured for a bra?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

anyone have any advice on the implant? im currently on the pill but considering changing to the implant.

advice would be much appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

aimerlans wrote: »
    anyone have any advice on the implant? im currently on the pill but considering changing to the implant.

advice would be much appreciated! :)

I've had the implant for 4 years now, obviously had one, got it removed and a new one put in. I couldn't reccommend it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

have u had any problems?
    is it sore?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Justask wrote: »
    Could you say was it bad getting the coil removed? Im dreading it :eek:

Nope!.. it was absolutely fine, didn't even realise she had taken it out until she said she had!.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Has anyone had any headaches or side affects on the implant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Does anyone know the best time of the month to get measured for a bra?

I wouldn't go the week before my period anyway

a) I'm retaining water. Wouldn't affect the measurement really but I wouldn't be keen about taking off my shirt in front of a strange woman.

b) My boobs are super tender and the very thought of what could happen to them... owie

c) My husband SWEARS they're bigger that week. I think he's just trying to make me feel better about being fat, sore, and otherwise miserable.

I think it really depends on whether you experience any of this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I wouldn't mind getting properly measured but would be very self conscious about the nakedness.... I read somewhere that they say it's ok to leave your bra on... does anyone know if this is true? Because I'd feel better about going to do it then

I wouldn't do it with my bra on - your bra can alter how your boobs sit naturally ('cause that's kinda the point)

If you're concerned about modesty, better to go braless with a t-shirt or a vest top (so long as it's not too baggy) than to go with a bra.

Right, but going in a little cami or something, would they not ask you to take it off. I know at this age I should be better about these things. I think what bothers me about this is where I would be going there's all these young girls on to do it, I'd prefer the older women!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

aimerlans wrote: »
    have u had any problems?
    is it sore?:(

Like you mean sore all the time? No, you can't feel it. The only sore part about getting it inserted was being injected with the anaesthetic on your inner arm near the elbow. Getting it out wasn't pleasant at all as it took 40 mins instead of 5. As for problems, not sure what you mean.
    Has anyone had any headaches or side affects on the implant?

Nope, none.

Right, but going in a little cami or something, would they not ask you to take it off. I know at this age I should be better about these things. I think what bothers me about this is where I would be going there's all these young girls on to do it, I'd prefer the older women!

just tell them that you'd prefer to keep it on. If they keep pushing it walk out.

Ok, one day I'll have the balls to go through with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I wouldn't mind getting properly measured but would be very self conscious about the nakedness.... I read somewhere that they say it's ok to leave your bra on... does anyone know if this is true? Because I'd feel better about going to do it then

I was measured in M&S and left my bra on :D

Well did it turn out to be a proper measurement?

Well did it turn out to be a proper measurement?

Totally - went back a few weeks later to a different M&S just to make sure - yep same size :D

Can't wear bra's from Penny's now after wearing a M&S one :D

But do you find that depending on where you buy your bra you could be a different size anyway? I don't so much now, but at one point I had three different sized bras! Kinda why I never bothered getting measured (besides the modesty) as I'd just have to try them on to see....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Hey, has anyone got any info on smeer tests? Any idea how much they cost or the best place to go for them? (I'm in Dublin btw)

I did sign up for the free tests a while ago but I'm being such a baby and never went!

But do you find that depending on where you buy your bra you could be a different size anyway? I don't so much now, but at one point I had three different sized bras! Kinda why I never bothered getting measured (besides the modesty) as I'd just have to try them on to see....
    Oh I can only wear my new size now. Tried one on recently in the same size different shop and I had no boobies in it :(
    Orlee wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone got any info on smeer tests? Any idea how much they cost or the best place to go for them? (I'm in Dublin btw)

I did sign up for the free tests a while ago but I'm being such a baby and never went!

How old are you? Did you register with CervicalCheck.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

See this is the thing I am a D cup and saggy due to weight gain and loss when younger and I have never ever had my breasts measured without a bra :o I personally think its not as accurate but at this stage I just get the ones I like and get the people in Debenhams to check it for me!!!!

I hate bra shopping :(

Bra sizes vary greatly just like clothes sizes!!!!

Orlee if you are over 25 you will get a free smear test as Lala said on that website!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

If there's a nurse in the GP's surgery you go to they usually do it there. It always says "free over the age of 25" (if I remember correctly) on the price list. Can you not just reapply or request another appointment?

no ... I left it too long with Cervical Check and now I'm not eligable

Any idea how much they cost now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What do you mean you have left it too long, you can sign up online only takes a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What do you mean you have left it too long, you can sign up online only takes a few minutes.

I remember the letter i got from them said something like you had 6 weeks to take the free test with that letter. but i think it also said if you didnt use this opportunity they would send you out reminders. im not 100% sure but it did give the impression that it was only free if you presented the letter at a test within 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

no ... I left it too long with Cervical Check and now I'm not eligable

Any idea how much they cost now?

From the Cervical Check website:

I have received an invitation letter but I am unable to attend for a smear test at the moment, do I need to re-register?

You do not need to re-register with the Programme. Attend for your smear test when it is appropriate for you, however, CervicalCheck will send you reminder letters. There is no expiry date on your invitation letter.

I registered and received my letter. I didn't got for a smear. I then received another letter (some time later) saying if I didn't go within a certain time period I would not be able to avail of the service.

I'll see if I can dig out the letter and post it.

I'm not complaining about the service ... it was my own fault ... I had good intentions but never went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Hey girls,

I'm a trained bra fitter. I used to work in Macy's San Francisco a few years ago, when I was being trained, the "regional fitting expert" said that bra-fittings really are only a general guideline. You will vary in size from brand to brand, annoying I know, but once you're measured you'll usually find you are that size, only varying up/down a cupsize in some brands. If you're measured in M&S, you're pretty much perfectly measured for M&S bras, same goes for La Senza etc... Oh and, there really is no need to remove your bra when you are being fitted (or even take off your top). That makes things kinda awkward for the person fitting you really. The fitter will take into account whether your bra has much padding/countouring to provide you with an accurate size.

Thanks PinkHeels. Only problem now is that there's no M&S in Limerick.... :rolleyes:

Think I'd be better to go in with a cami on or something. I don't think wearing one with padding would be the best idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Thanks PinkHeels. Only problem now is that there's no M&S in Limerick.... :rolleyes:

Think I'd be better to go in with a cami on or something. I don't think wearing one with padding would be the best idea....

Virtually ALL my bras are padded :o:p but when I was measured in San Fran she was spot on with the size!
    Try Debenhams maybe for some idea? Although I think they have some ridiculous system where you've to book appointments, it really should be just drop in. Bra shopping is a total pain! Up there with jean shopping!

• Advertisement

Ok so, I went into Debenhams to try on some bras. I brought in a few. One that I liked but rotten colour looked like it fit me well enough. There was a little space in it, but I thought it was fairly right. It was a 32D.

So feelin balsy as I was I said I'd ask for yer ones opinion. She said that the space could mean it's too big, so she brought me in a 34C and 34B. I told her what I currently wear is a 34C and it's a little too loose on me. Tried them on anyway, and while the 34C was ok, it still sat like a little loose. As did the 34B, but that was cutting me off at the side. I pointed it out to her but she said it was just that it needed to loosen out :rolleyes: It didn't, the cup wasn't wide enough, it was cutting a third of my boob off FFS!

So she said she reckons I'm a half size, so none would fit properly. But she said go with the 34C. So couldn't find anything nice. Stopped into Ann Summers and picked up a 34C there. Not sure about it for what I want, but think the size is ok.

This is tiring stuff! So I think I'm back where I started....trying a few sizes on...!

Advertisement