Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CONTACTOR HELP

• 17-10-2019 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Someone may be able to help with this -

So I have an issue with a walk in chill/freezer room. The evaporator fans are not running - everything is fine on the fridge side but the contactor that controls the fans at the board won't pull in. It's 3 phase and it's getting power all right. When I manually push the coil in the fans start and run as they should in the cold room but the coil should energise automatically? I'm stumped? Any ideas? Like I said compressor is working and refrigerant passes from outdoor to indoor as normal. Even defrost heaters come on when the time clock calls for them and they are also wired to a contactor which pulls in when needed. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

There should be a thermostat in the evaporator to prevent the fans from operating until the unit is cold enough, that could be faulty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the coil of the contractor is getting power put not pulling in then the coil has failed and the contractor need to be replaced.

If this is not the case something is holding it out in which case:
    1) See that the coil has a neutral (assuming 230V coil)
    2) See that the control power MCB/ fuse is healthy.
    3) Get the schematics and test between neutral and each point on the control circuit to see what is holding it out. As above this may be a stat. You could consider linking out each device to see which one is preventing power from reaching to coil of the contractor.
    4) Check the overloads are not holding out the coil. They may have operated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea the first thing to do is bridge out the stat.

If that brings on the contactor, it might be the stat, but check that the stat is actually being cooled by the refrigeration circuit, (circuit is properly charged, condensor coils are clear/condensor fans running f there are any etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    If the coil of the contractor is getting power put not pulling in then the coil has failed and the contractor need to be replaced.

Registered only we assume:D

Advertisement