Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    Just to redress your address oh wise one. Conor power has been available for the last 3 games for ballygunner games which have taken place over a 7 week period and never got back in. I was aware of dj forans injury and we just asking a simple question regarding his status on the panel.

Was At the inter semi final , dj foran didn't come on

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Brilliant tribute to Brick this morning on WLR, what a fabulous versatile player for us over the years.

LEGEND

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Brilliant tribute to Brick this morning on WLR, what a fabulous versatile player for us over the years.

LEGEND

Some cringe on it too and u swear the poor guy was after dying

He deserves it tho, never met him but going by that he is a gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Had the privilege of meeting him as a young fan at the Tramore races in 2007. Was an absolute gent, got a photo with him and he was in good spirits despite it being only 4 days after that horrific defeat to Limerick.

As a player, is there anyone else who's won an all star as a back, midfielder and forward? I think commitment sums him up best, that's what he's given over the course of 17 years as a senior hurler for Waterford. A powerhouse as a midfielder, commander in chief as a center back (how did he fill Ken Mcgraths boots with distinction?!?) and then, the greatest trick of all, reinventing himself as a forward in 2017 especially.

Hearing the phrase "the Brick flick" about a particular skill of the game says it all, the man's legacy will live on. Thank you, Michael Brick Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Had the privilege of meeting him as a young fan at the Tramore races in 2007. Was an absolute gent, got a photo with him and he was in good spirits despite it being only 4 days after that horrific defeat to Limerick.

As a player, is there anyone else who's won an all star as a back, midfielder and forward? I think commitment sums him up best, that's what he's given over the course of 17 years as a senior hurler for Waterford. A powerhouse as a midfielder, commander in chief as a center back (how did he fill Ken Mcgraths boots with distinction?!?) and then, the greatest trick of all, reinventing himself as a forward in 2017 especially.

Hearing the phrase "the Brick flick" about a particular skill of the game says it all, the man's legacy will live on. Thank you, Michael Brick Walsh.

Tommy Walsh maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh maybe ?

Ken McGrath as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

This is Brick all over. as soon as the final whistle is blown, he's the exact person same whether he won or lost, or whether played well himself or not.
    Despite this incredible desire inside to be the best he could be for himself and his teammates, he doesn't take himself too seriously at the same time. One of a kind

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I was a few years older than Brick in School, a nice quiet lad, I was shocked when I saw him on the Waterford senior panel a few years later.

He would give it to ya anyway you wanted it on the field, I remember being half shocked with the pace and power he would plough past you...

He could drive over 10 points from 100 yards for Stradbally if he had too, you didnt see that with Waterford..... he did what he had to too for the various teams he played on, he never tried the big spectuclar point with Waterford bit he was 100% definitely capable of it.

He did things in the Waterford Jersey that were just awesome, put up his hand and caught balls and you would just be shaking your head in the stand.

Defo has the potential to be a great manager and lead a good set up.

Might not be Waterfords greatest Hurler but he was our greatest ever player.... and an even better Man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

played with and against brick when a chap

a scary man on the field to play against and a great friend off it ,

put a lot into hurling for Waterford i hope he gets something back now he is done with it

Ian OB wrote: »
    Ken McGrath as well.

Don't think Tommy Walsh has midfield. Ken does but didn't actually play there as I recall, so wouldn't count it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Couple of players including Ken and Walsh were "accommodated" at midfield because they played in a variety of positions during the year in which they won their award.

Brick is without doubt a legend and deserves the plaudits being handed out because he is not just a great player and athlete, but also for how he shuns the limelight but leads by example and does his talking on the field, a quite but extremely witty character. Best of luck Brick (if you have in fact retired) thanks a million for the wonderful memories you have given us.

All that being said I am not a fan of this "greatest ever tag" that constantly gets thrown about. As a county, considering our lack of ultimate success, we are very lucky to have had some fantastic hurling talents, leaders and absolute characters, and not just in the recent past. We have had men who have given us great memories and who have inspired the current generation, including the likes of Brick. Remembering moments such as Ken's catch in the last minute of the 2004 Munster Final and his superb display in 2002 Munster Final scoring points for fun, - Flynn's wonder goal in the the 2004 Munster Final , Mullane's and Shanahan's Munster Final hat-tricks in 2003 and 2007 respectively - Tony Browne winning hurler of the year in 1998 plus many more , - and that is before i delve into the history books of John Keane and Phillie Grimes etc .... they and many many more all deserve massive credit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Don't think Tommy Walsh has midfield. Ken does but didn't actually play there as I recall, so wouldn't count it myself.

Tommy in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

It's funny reading about Brick as a gentleman off the pitch and no doubt a true legend of Waterford GAA, also part of the 2003 Munster football under 21 winning side of course but you don't play 76 intercounty championship games or win 10 county senior football titles being a gentleman on it (But never touching a drink also probably helped!).
    He was the ultimate competitor and would do anything to win. Whether it was insult your mother, girlfriend or sister, Brick would do it. He would take any player out of a game by any means if it meant the best for his team and often illegally. He influenced every referee in our county for years and would not shut up arguing and giving out to referees throughout the whole match until he got his way and the best decisions for his teams.
    Despite all this, it is impossible not to admire the man and the player. A more natural footballer and definitely the best in our county this century despite not playing often for Waterford, he manufactured himself in to an incredibly effective hurler. His physicality, ball winning ability, game management, vision and reading of a game were 2nd to none but his biggest attribute was his leadership.
    A true Deise legend.

big_drive wrote: »
    Tommy in 2003

Similar to Ken so as he was wing forward that year. I see Mullane is down as right wing forward for example on that team.

Brick made each position his own and was rightly acknowledged for each of them.

Some day for the Ballysaggart club this weekend.

Does anyone know how many players on the Naomh Chartaigh team are from Ballysaggart?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'm sure there would be health and safety aspects to this and it would have to be able to hold a certain capacity. I know a fence around the field would be essential to reach Munster Council standard.

Listen Sixmilebridge has hosted many Munster club matches..recently a semi Versus Na Piarsaigh, a much bigger draw than Ballygunnar because of the closeness of the 2 clubs. There is a fence enclosing the pitch and there is capacity and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭thesultan

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Listen Sixmilebridge has hosted many Munster club matches..recently a semi Versus Na Piarsaigh, a much bigger draw than Ballygunnar because of the closeness of the 2 clubs. There is a fence enclosing the pitch and there is capacity and has been for years.

There is a young brick Walsh playing club hurling for stradbally on youtube

:mad:

what do you mean, exactly? Naomi Charthach is Lismore and Ballysaggart combined at underage.

I assume he means how many of the minors will be playing for the Ballysaggart adult club.

:mad:

what do you mean, exactly? Naomi Charthach is Lismore and Ballysaggart combined at underage.

I know, I was just wondering how many players from the club were playing in the minor final, as in the younger Bennett brother, or is there any other players from he Ballysaagart area that could potential be eligible for the Adult team next year should they win the intermediate final and go senior.

If they have players playing at Div 1 minor standard it could really improve the strength of their panel next year.

Did I say something out of place?

I assume he means how many of the minors will be playing for the Ballysaggart adult club.

Thanks! I will keep queries regarding the far west off topic in future 🙊

• Advertisement

busy weekend for clubs

Friday 18th Oct
    Senior Football Championship Relagation Final
    Portlaw vs Bricky Rangers
    Fraher Field 19.45

Saturday 19th Oct
    County Minor Hurling Div A final- Ballygunner vs Naomh Carthaigh- Walsh Park 12pm
    County Intermediate Hurling Final- Ballygunner vs Ballysaggart- Walsh Park 2pm
    Western Junior A Hurling final- Abbeyside vs St Marys- Fraher Field 2pm
    Senior Hurling Relagation Final Replay- Ballyduff Upper vs FMW- Fraher Field 4pm

Sunday 20th Oct
    County Senior Football Final- Rathgormack vs Ballinacourty- Fraher Field 3.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Morning lads. What’s Pa Kearney from Balllyduff like as a trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

95% of posters in this thread have never held a hurley in their hand. if you were to ask them their armchair view then you might get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

Morning lads. What’s Pa Kearney from Balllyduff like as a trainer.

Done well with Erin's Own in Cork getting them to a senior final a few years back and I think he was coaching Modeligo when they won the Munster junior and has been with WIT and obviously Waterford so he's definitely rated as a good coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Done well with Erin's Own in Cork getting them to a senior final a few years back and I think he was coaching Modeligo when they won the Munster junior and has been with WIT and obviously Waterford so he's definitely rated as a good coach.

That’s good hear. He is training Bride Rovers next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Gardner wrote: »
    95% of posters in this thread have never held a hurley in their hand. if you were to ask them their armchair view then you might get an answer.
    your point being ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Mikey will probably get a game for ye so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

A great coup, Given that he’s been snapped up so early for next year gives you an indication of the kind of demand there is for him.

• Advertisement

The eastern intermediate hurling championship must be Cat!

Time for a 8 team senior B championship FFS!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement