Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was this wrong?

• 16-10-2019 1:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

I was at an anniversary mass up the country last weekend.

There was a good few of us there and lots of Protestant's over for the service, because he came from a mixed religious background.

It was in a Catholic cathedral.

It was going well until the priest started a rant about how some Church of Ireland pastor from the locality back in the day was studying more theology and realised that the Protestant way was wrong and embraced catholism.
    Ok nothing wrong with that.
    His own choice.

There's a but, But he then went on with his own opinion about how the Catholic church was the way and the light, how it was and still is the church of Christ and the church of England/Ireland was the wrong way...

I could see the Protestant congregation was getting uneasy, and honestly I felt uncomfortable myself.

Being a pagan and having respect for other temple's of worship I didn't walk out, but felt like it.

In this day and age isn't it more Christian to be all inclusive rather than exclusive ?

This didn't feel right.

It was bad enough being in there in the first place, but I went there for a friend and his widowed partner.

It was like a sermon back in the 40's or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

nthclare wrote: »
    I was at an anniversary mass up the country last weekend.

There was a good few of us there and lots of Protestant's over for the service, because he came from a mixed religious background.

It was in a Catholic cathedral.

It was going well until the priest started a rant about how some Church of Ireland pastor from the locality back in the day was studying more theology and realised that the Protestant way was wrong and embraced catholism.
    His own choice.

There's a but, But he then went on with his own opinion about how the Catholic church was the way and the light, how it was and still is the church of Christ and the church of England/Ireland was the wrong way...

I could see the Protestant congregation was getting uneasy, and honestly I felt uncomfortable myself.

Being a pagan and having respect for other temple's of worship I didn't walk out, but felt like it.

In this day and age isn't it more Christian to be all inclusive rather than exclusive ?

This didn't feel right.

It was bad enough being in there in the first place, but I went there for a friend and his widowed partner.

It was like a sermon back in the 40's or something.

The priest has every right to believe in what he said but it was very poor judgement to say that on front of protestants.

" isnt it more Christian to be all inclusive rather than exclusive"
    Actually Catholics appreciate the following of scripture and beliefs regardless of modern trends...this near stuborness and the unwavering principles is what attracts people to the church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

dvdman1 wrote: »
    The priest has every right to believe in what he said but it was very poor judgement to say that on front of protestants.

" isnt it more Christian to be all inclusive rather than exclusive"
    Actually Catholics appreciate the following of scripture and beliefs regardless of modern trends...this near stuborness and the unwavering principles is what attracts people to the church.

I cannot see what's so attractive about the Catholic church to be honest.

The Protestant church is a lot less polytheist than the Catholic church.

Isn't the Abrahamic religion based on monotheism rather than polytheism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheEyeonyrBack

Love thy neighbor is an universal message regardless of times. The thing here is the thin line between love and passion. When someone is passionate, or allegedly so, it's easy to state that they're on the only right way and that because fanatism.

As far as you describe, the priest forgot this important commandment leading him to ramble about his own thoughts. Considering his leadership position, this is a bad example of Christian charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Davio

What parish was this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The priest spoke the truth and the truth is often uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

kelly1 wrote: »

The priest gave his opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Father Troll is a great priest for a bit of the auld trolling.

Davio wrote: »
    What parish was this in?

I won't mention the parish, but it was in Mayo

Was it on a craggy type of island?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If it had happened at a funeral of a mixed faith family it would have been bang out of order. An anniversary mass is usually a normal mass where it is offered up so he mightnt have known.

Saying that it was a bit strange but nothing too bad. But a priest should never openly denigrate any faith.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

The priest gave his opinion.

And this is allowed why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

high_king wrote: »
    And this is allowed why ?

I think that was a response to someone saying he spoke the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not RC but I note that this thread was started by an avowed pagan with an axe to grind against anything which claims to represent Christianity. Just look at his post on the thread about Marks gospel.

All I see is an unvouched allegation. It may well be true but i would question the motive is starting the thread.He himself said he didn't want to be where he was so straight away appears to be antagonistic in being there. His other posts would demonstrate his antagonism against Christianity.

As I said, it may well be true and based on things I've seen written on this forum over the years about us so called backslidden Catholics I'd not be surprised.

Not RC but I note that this thread was started by an avowed pagan with an axe to grind against anything which claims to represent Christianity. Just look at his post on the thread about Marks gospel.

All I see is an unvouched allegation. It may well be true but i would question the motive is starting the thread.He himself said he didn't want to be where he was so straight away appears to be antagonistic in being there. His other posts would demonstrate his antagonism against Christianity.

As I said, it may well be true and based on things I've seen written on this forum over the years about us so called backslidden Catholics I'd not be surprised.

I'm not the only person with an axe to grind against the Catholic church that's for sure,and you know exactly what I mean.

No need to go into its endless merciless power driven ethos here.

As for the Church of Ireland, they're more truer Christians than the polytheism Catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Davio wrote: »
    What parish was this in?

the Parish that is a figment of someone's imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm not the only person with an axe to grind against the Catholic church that's for sure,and you know exactly what I mean.

No need to go into its endless merciless power driven ethos here.

As for the Church of Ireland, they're more truer Christians than the polytheism Catholic church.

Your rant about sand demons said more than the quoted post about your position. Interesting to see what you believe in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure what distinguishes Catholicism here. I think you'll find most branches of modern Christianity, with the exception of gnostics, are trinitarian and also reference a devil, angels and demons.

smacl wrote: »
    Not sure what distinguishes Catholicism here.
    Statues. Praying to saints. And that whole marian veneration/devotion thing.

recedite wrote: »
    Statues. Praying to saints. And that whole marian veneration/devotion thing.

Saints aren't considered as gods though so doesn't exactly qualify as polytheism.

smacl wrote: »
    Saints aren't considered as gods though so doesn't exactly qualify as polytheism.
    They must be small gods though, otherwise how could they do small jobs, like finding your lost car keys?

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    They must be small gods though, otherwise how could they do small jobs, like finding your lost car keys?

The ability to find car keys and be the subject of occasional worship does not a god make. My other half manages both by times but I'm pretty sure she's not a god :)

I presume she is still alive though. Otherwise I would be worried about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

Isn't it through this type of nonsense of "My God is real, yours isn't", that has pretty much been the cause of more wars, cruelty and carnage throughout the ages that any other reason on earth ?

Its the 21st century, believe in what you want, but lets not delve back into whos God is real and whos isn't, it never ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

His own choice.

Do you think he only made those comments because he was aware of the presence of protestants?

I ask because I have been at masses and witnessed priests make very pointed remarks in their sermons based entirely on who was present. Comments which would not have been made had the audience been different.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Do you think he only made those comments because he was aware of the presence of protestants?

I ask because I have been at masses and witnessed priests make very pointed remarks in their sermons based entirely on who was present. Comments which would not have been made had the audience been different.

It most definitely was where he was aware of the Protestant s present at the mass I think.
    A few here have suggested I made it up, a someone else asked me to name the church or priest.
    I won't name the church or priest, and I cannot prove it was said.

But it wasn't nice, and definitely not a coincidence they happened to be at the anniversary and he told a story about a priest in Mayo who decided to convert from Protestantism to Catholicism, and how the priest knew that the Catholicism was the only way to salvation.

As I said, it's up to the priest to say what he likes.
    It definitely wasn't hate speech or sectarian or anything, he didn't express anger towards anyone but I just thought it was distasteful to be honest.

After the priest did his rant and turned around walked back to the altar, I turned around to my friend and whispered "says he with the wind turbine on the back of his over sized hoodie"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was at a funeral in east london last year - a catholic one - and the priest told the congregation that if they had not received the eucharist in the previous two weeks, they were not welcome to receive it at the mass; and he went on about this at some length. was a real fire and brimstone sermon, certainly compared to any i experienced in ireland before i stopped going to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

kelly1 wrote: »

Jesus doesn't agree with you though.

i was at a funeral in east london last year - a catholic one - and the priest told the congregation that if they had not received the eucharist in the previous two weeks, they were not welcome to receive it at the mass; and he went on about this at some length. was a real fire and brimstone sermon, certainly compared to any i experienced in ireland before i stopped going to mass.

This fire and brimstone is creeping back in, how else can they hold onto their flock.

People are getting more into woo spirituality, Paganism and atheism is starting to become the norm amongst the African descended teen-agers and in their 20's plus
    My son 18 and hangs out with Africans living here in Ireland they're leaning towards atheism and not attending the church any more.

I have my own belief that The Abrahamic God is a sand demon called Jehovah from the middle East.
    Because a loving God wouldn't be a narcissist or sociopath and wouldn't torture his son like he did.
    Any philosopher can twist that story to make naive people believe it was a good thing.

If what happened to Jesus was true and it's celebrated, then looking at it from my eye's it's absolutely horiffic.

What a messed up story, religion and philosophy...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

How come only some water is holy?
    Wouldn’t it be a much better use of resources if one day the Pope walked down to the beach and used his magic to transform all the water in the world into holy water??
    Is it a volume issue- in that you can’t magic too much in one go.
    Or is it a supply issue? They don’t want to flood the market (get it) with too much product, thus reducing its value

• Advertisement

OP reminds me of a time 25 odd years ago I attended a mass in a church out in the middle of the country. It was freezing even though the church was packed.

The priest (fairly doddery) obviously took the opportunity to preach to a large congregation telling us all what was wrong with the people of the day, not going to mass, their morals etc. In fairness to him its pretty much the only thing memorable of the day ��

Advertisement