Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling-Inspired Short Story

• 16-10-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I do a little bit of writing as a hobby and wrote the below story while cycling around Northern Spain.

https://medium.com/@carlopoppo/a-long-way-from-beara-b18fc9d7786

I was actually overtaken on that climb by a guy wearing a Beara cycling top, but thankfully for him the rest of it is very much fiction!

Thought it may be of interest to some here (and if anyone here was cycling around the Picos de Europa in a Beara cycling jersey, of particular interest to you!).

Mods, feel free to delete if not appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭hesker

Lucky you cycling through the Picos. Have been there a couple of times on driving holiday. The first time as we turned a corner near the summit we came on a small flock of sheep and sheepdog lying all across the road soaking up the sun. No way they were moving. So we got out and joined them. Really quiet roads in a beautiful part of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lovely story, thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did that climb in August 2016 (according to Strava) but I've no recollection of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Were you wearing a Beara jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Were you wearing a Beara jersey?
    LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Cracking little story, a nice read on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I did that climb in August 2016 (according to Strava) but I've no recollection of it.

That’s an age thing, or maybe you’ve done to many climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Great story! I hope I don’t pass you on a mountain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Very enjoyable read, well done. Reading it has me wishing to be on the bike there. Amazing part of the world. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

It says he took the ferry to Santander. I looked at that recently and I understood you can’t book without a car. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TGD wrote: »
    It says he took the ferry to Santander. I looked at that recently and I understood you can’t book without a car. Am I wrong?

Poetic license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

I haven't actually taken the ferry from Cork to Santander before (I flew over via Bilbao), so very much a case of poetic licence there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

carlop wrote: »
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

I haven't actually taken the ferry from Cork to Santander before (I flew over via Bilbao), so very much a case of poetic licence there!

I love the way the tragic hero changed gears from a widower with a broken heart to screwing his way from West Cork across to northern Spain on an annual basis! A not too subtle mention he had being missing out all along.

You'll never be accused of being a romantic!

Brilliant area of Spain to visit and cycle in

Advertisement