Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to remove a screw with no threading

Options
  • 14-10-2019 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I have 2 screws inside the oven that i need to remove to replace a part of the oven .However there is no threading in the screws as they are worn.Voicegrips wont work either as there is very little to grab onto..any ideas on how i can get the screws out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

thebourke wrote: »
    I have 2 screws inside the oven that i need to remove to replace a part of the oven .However there is no threading in the screws as they are worn.Voicegrips wont work either as there is very little to grab onto..any ideas on how i can get the screws out?

I'd drill them out using a very small metal bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

There are special drill bits you can get for situations like this..... but afaik you need to have the screw head free as it goes around the head to grip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Is the head of the screw worn or the actual thread gone on the screw shank? If the head is gone you could try drilling it out or using a set of "easy outs" (screw extractor set with left hand threads) to remove the screw- but if access is awkward you may find this difficult. The easy outs have rescued more on more than one occasion.

If the thread is gone and screw is just spinning and you can't remove it or get a grip on the head you could possibly cut off the head with a dremel then punch through the remaining screw with a pin punch. It might be difficult to avoid damage to surrounding metal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The best advice on this is get someone with some experience to do it.

If you botch it up it’s just a much, much bigger more expensive job to resolve down the line.

Would any of your friends/contacts happen to be a fitter or mechanic by trade. They would be the most experienced at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

If the screw isn't too tightly fitted, I have had success gluing the screwdriver into the head of the screw. Super glue and Hot glue have both worked for me.

I used a activator spray to get the super glue to cure fast.

This works for stripped threads and heads.

• Advertisement

Im going to guess that you are trying to remove the element panel ?
    Sometimes when you screw a self tapper into sheetmetal the scew can go too deep and the metel ends up between the head of the screw and the start of the thread.
    So when you try remove them they just spin.
    You might need to pull on the screw and turn it at the same time to get it started.
    I usually get a small snips under the head when unscrewing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I bought some of these recently https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-Aisxle-Stripped-Hardness-62-63hrc/dp/B07RPDSPNS/ screw extractors. They are far from perfect but will work if the screw isn't too tight. You need to spend more time than you think drilling the back of the screw before you use the extractor part. A proper drill of the same size is often better than the drill bits provided on the extractor tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

If they are the very small element hold screws, they are caked in with the heat over time. A small dremmel tool with a cutting disc will take the head off in seconds and then you simply drill out the shank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

If it is the head of the screw that is worn away so that screwdrivers have little to nothing to bite on to, a rubber band placed over the head can sometimes give the screwdriver enough purchase to work. Failing that Dremels have a wide collection of small fitments that can drill into the screw and remove it. Just make sure to use a slow setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

This is what I am trying to do
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZZo8P1z9M&t=4s

replace the fan element....the head of the screws is damaged...oven is at least 5 years old...i will try the elastic band and see if that works

• Advertisement

This is what I am trying to do
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZZo8P1z9M&t=4s

replace the fan element....the head of the screws is damaged...oven is at least 5 years old...i will try the elastic band and see if that works

Is it one screw or all of them?

2 screws to get at ...as 2 are missing

Its a sheet metal to sheet metal component so why not just drill the screw out then use larger ones?

what do you mean?there is no grip on the screw head....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe one of these will work

biko wrote: »
    Maybe one of these will work

Nothing backing up the metal behind the screw, use one of those and I suspect all you'll get is a big dent :D

Advertisement