Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Imo Jacob Ingebritsen ruined his chances of medalling in the 1500m by running the 5000m a few days earlier.

Yes, may well have.

I think the order is also something to consider..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    Any pro athletes on here shed some light on what's being made of her running a 10000 metres and then a 1500 metres.....

I am no expert, but with "several days" rest, why should running a 10000 be a possible issue to your performance in a 15000 with days of rest?

EL G did the 1500 and 5000, and he had a 5000 heat as well....

Is it not a possibility that the longer distance can somewhat help the athlete? Kind of really get the juices flowing, body ready, and then with the few days rest, really ready to go at 1500?

I think of all the doubles, a 10000/1500 double with days rest wouldn't be the most difficult double...

A 1500 heat, semi, final.... followed by a 5000 heat and final.......well, that would be more difficult on the body.

I know she did the order different, as in 10000 first, but no heat. Had she done the 1500 first, maybe the 10000 wouldn't have been as easy.

It kinda goes without saying doesn't it? Obviously taking park in a 10k race a few days before a 1500m race is going to tire out the legs somewhat? It's the reason why athletes are so careful about doubling up at championships, and why most choose to focus on one event only. I've never once before heard someone trying to state that taking park in a 10k race could actually help someone in a 1500 a few days later.
    Few permutations

What race comes first. Is there heats in both etc....

I think a 1500/5000 or 5000/1500 is tougher on the body than a 10000/1500 or 1500/10000.

Anyway, I am not getting the hanging onto this "Oh, and she only ran a 10000 metres a few days previously," as if it was some "evidence" to add to the suspicion. Maybe, just maybe, she was at a slight advantage over the athletes in the 1500 that did not run the 10000 metres a few days earlier....

Either way, I know of nothing clear or scientific that says that her running the 10000 meters days before the 1500 somehow means that she couldn't run the 1500 meters to her true potential..

I mean, do we need scientific knowledge to know that racing a 1500m just days after running the 26th fastest 10k ever is going to be harder to do? And how can it not be "evidence" to add to the suspicion, particularly in light of the fact her coach has just been given a four year athletics ban for doping? I can't believe what I'm reading here tbh.

As I've already said, I've always been a big fan of Hassan, I want her to be clean, but to deny what we've seen her do inside the last two weeks may be too good to be true is ridiculous.

It kinda goes without saying doesn't it? Obviously taking park in a 10k race a few days before a 1500m race is going to tire out the legs somewhat?

It would sure tire the legs, but for how long? These people are highly tuned elite machines.

Kind of similar analogy here is boxing. 5-6 fights tournaments. Nothing at all to say that after fight 1, tough fight or not, that your efforts then lessen in fight 2 a day or two later....and after fight 2 you lessen more, and so on.

So I do not agree or think that it "goes without saying."

I will agree that it tires the legs, but I didn't ask this. I asked if it is detrimental to competing several days later at a different distance.

These athletes can absolutely 100 percent recover from a 10000 metres, and be fully fit and ready for 1500 meters a few days later

EL G did two doubles at 1500 and 5000. In 2003 he ran 12.52 mins, (superb time) and that after a heat, and after several 1500 metres races days earlier.

He did the same double a year later in Athens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I am no expert, but with "several days" rest, why should running a 10000 be a possible issue to your performance in a 1500 with days of rest?

These athletes can absolutely 100 percent recover from a 10000 metres, and be fully fit and ready for 1500 meters a few days later

You ask the questions and then answer them, useful to have around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

IvoryTower wrote: »

To be fair, there is no absolute answer to this but there are precedents on both sides.

Am I right in saying there was a full week between the two?

John Treacy ran a 10000 meters final 6 days before the marathon in 1984 for example.

Of course there are reasons to question Sifan Hassan, aside from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To be fair, there is no absolute answer to this but there are precedents on both sides.

Am I right in saying there was a full week between the two?

John Treacy ran a 10000 meters final 6 days before the marathon in 1984 for example.

Of course there are reasons to question Sifan Hassan, aside from this.

I remember the Europeans in 2002 and Sonia got silver in the 10000m. About 4 days later she ran in the 5000m and got beaten by the narrowest margin by Marta Dominguez.

She was asked did the 10000m in her legs affect her. She said not at all and that she was long recovered from that. She lost the race because of a poor tactical move where she kicked way too soon and ran out of legs in the last 20m.

Now, this was European level, not world level, and there were no heats of the 5000m, unlike 2 rounds of 1500m before the final, but I think we do place too much emphasis on how much one race can take out of somebody's legs. Doubling up is not an issue for most athletes when the 10000m is a straight final.

IvoryTower wrote: »

I know. I’m a tease!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sure didn't one on Kipchoge's pacers do 3x5k in 14.10 (not 14.30 as I said somewhere else) with about similar rest in between!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I remember the Europeans in 2002 and Sonia got silver in the 10000m. About 4 days later she ran in the 5000m and got beaten by the narrowest margin by Marta Dominguez.

She was asked did the 10000m in her legs affect her. She said not at all and that she was long recovered from that. She lost the race because of a poor tactical move where she kicked way too soon and ran out of legs in the last 20m.

Now, this was European level, not world level, and there were no heats of the 5000m, unlike 2 rounds of 1500m before the final, but I think we do place too much emphasis on how much one race can take out of somebody's legs. Doubling up is not an issue for most athletes when the 10000m is a straight final.

I vaguely remember talk of Said Aouita targeting the clean sweep of 800m, 1500m, 5000m and 10000m at the Seoul Olympics, but he got injured early.

He was certainly good enough to win at any of those distances, though not at all of them.

The same could apply to a lot of top distance runners; I'd imagine Kenenisa Bekele could have won Olympic medals at 800m or 1500m if he'd tried.

WalshB - it strikes me that you are an Olympics guy, more than any one particular sport?

That is to say, you don't particularly give a flip if Liverpool or Man City wins the premier league, but would have relatively informed views on badminton, gymnastics, rowing, swimming and so on, but boxing and athletics in particular.

• Advertisement

WalshB - it strikes me that you are an Olympics guy, more than any one particular sport?

That is to say, you don't particularly give a flip if Liverpool or Man City wins the premier league, but would have relatively informed views on badminton, gymnastics, rowing, swimming and so on, but boxing and athletics in particular.

That's me in a nutshell....

Premier League and Rugby and GAA soap opera type sport never really intrigued me....

But I do love Boxing and T&F....

And swimming!

The same could apply to a lot of top distance runners; I'd imagine Kenenisa Bekele could have won Olympic medals at 800m or 1500m if he'd tried.

Not much hope at 800......not strong enough, and not built for it....

It's a very specific distance....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I vaguely remember talk of Said Aouita targeting the clean sweep of 800m, 1500m, 5000m and 10000m at the Seoul Olympics, but he got injured early.

He was certainly good enough to win at any of those distances, though not at all of them.

Very few Ethiopians in general have excelled at 800m. Mohammad Aman was one of the exceptions.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Very few Ethiopians in general have excelled at 800m. Mohammad Aman was one of the exceptions.

Said Aouita is Moroccan.....

EDIT- you are referring to Bekele, apologies.

I take the point.

Its an interesting one.

Bekele's PB for 1500m is 3.32, which is pretty handy. He'd have done a decent 800m for sure, but maybe not Olympic medal winning levels.

Said Aouita is Moroccan.....

Bekele is Ethiopian......I think this was the poster's reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://www.the42.ie/ciara-mageean-drug-testing-athletics-4865804-Oct2019/

Am sure walshb will throw the toys out of the pram as usual.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://www.the42.ie/ciara-mageean-drug-testing-athletics-4865804-Oct2019/

Am sure walshb will throw the toys out of the pram as usual.....

Tested 3 times in 3 weeks, that seems like a lot imo.
    Some international stars probably wont be tested that may times in their sporting lifetime..

Apart from WADA reviewing the AAA panel findings, USADA's evidence, from witness testimonies, transcripts; Salazar's evidence, and combined with athlete data in ADAMS, what more can WADA do that USADA didn't

IMO the out come will be that WADA accepts the thoroughness USADA's investigation and the AAA Panel findings.

I don't see any other outcome

• Advertisement

On a similar note, does anyone know were the WADA investigation into the Jama Aden affair is. ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

4Ad wrote: »
    Nasser...wow ! Didn't think she'd hold on...
    nannerby wrote: »
    wow what a run by naser
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Insane race by Naser. Miller-Uibo can't believe she ran so fast and lost.
    Choochtown wrote: »
    Wow! What a time from Naser!

"Unbelievable" repeatedly being said on TV commentary.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Nasser....3rd fastest time in history! Nothing to see here! Up there with Koch and Kratochvilova. Records that nobody would ever get near again. No wonder Miller Uibo looked shocked!

Well this didn't take long :pac:

Naser provisonally suspended for missing three drug tests.

skyblue46 was spot on!!

Chepkoech next I wonder? :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Why can't any of the new dopers beat the times of the dopers of the past? Well, probably some of them are but haven't been caught.

Don't think there should be much surprise here, with an agent/manager like Juan Pineda.
    The same Juan the that managed the banned Kiptum and a host of other athletes they were questionable, and linked to Jama Aden.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/52956011

Turns out it was 4 missed tests!! The lady herself is very flippant about the whole thing, more or less saying it’s no big deal missing tests!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/52956011

Turns out it was 4 missed tests!! The lady herself is very flippant about the whole thing, more or less saying it’s no big deal missing tests!!

Explaining that the missed tests occurred before September's World Championships, she added: "Hopefully, it'll get resolved because I don't really like the image. It's going to be fine. It's very hard to have this little stain on my name."

You would wonder if the missed test was prior to WC,
    1, how come it's only coming to light now?
    2, why she wasn't suspended before WC.
    She also stated that she hadn't been tested this year.
    " This year I have not been drug tested. We are still talking about the ones of last season before the World Championships."

If she had 3 missed test last year. You would imagine that this would be enough of a red flag to carry out some tests this year, pre covid lock down..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ceepo wrote: »
    Explaining that the missed tests occurred before September's World Championships, she added: "Hopefully, it'll get resolved because I don't really like the image. It's going to be fine. It's very hard to have this little stain on my name."

You would wonder if the missed test was prior to WC,
    1, how come it's only coming to light now?
    2, why she wasn't suspended before WC.
    She also stated that she hadn't been tested this year.
    " This year I have not been drug tested. We are still talking about the ones of last season before the World Championships."

If she had 3 missed test last year. You would imagine that this would be enough of a red flag to carry out some tests this year, pre covid lock down..

They'll have to find her first!! (Haven't read the story so don't know the reasons given for missing all them tests. Airpods in all the time, didn't hear the bell?)

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    They'll have to find her first!! (Haven't read the story so don't know the reasons given for missing all them tests. Airpods in all the time, didn't hear the bell?)

Turns out the 4th test was this year.
    So yes she was correct in saying she wasn't tested this year.

The only way this story could get worse is if it has the same outcome as Christian Coleman

Advertisement