Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand wedges?

• 11-10-2019 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

Hi all

Im a high handicapper getting back into it after a long time, I use the pw and sw from my ping zing iron set, but would like to try "proper" wedges

I'd be looking at used as I'm on a budget,
    I buy used everything anyway as id rather a quality product a couple of years old than brand new rubbish and we all know how fickle golf equipment is, latest greatest thing out every year from all the manufacturers! I'm looking at about about 50€ a club,

Anyway..im rambling, to the questions!

Is there any "classics" to keep an eye out for?
    Have wedges come on a lot, i.e. is a five year old vokey much the same as the newer ones? I hear about laser etched faces etc, is the newer technology worth it? I hear that the rusty wedges have been pretty much proved to be a myth? Any thoughts?

Basically, any advice welcome on my wedge quest, many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd say, if you're on a budget but looking to get good value for money, look at cleveland wedges!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

Golfbidder is fantastic for this type of thing. Used them myself last week. Great selection of older clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

plumber77 wrote: »
    Golfbidder is fantastic for this type of thing. Used them myself last week. Great selection of older clubs
    Agree on golfbidder. I ordered a hybrid from golfclubs4cash last week and got 1 for 50 euros in great condition, so they are another option. Keep a look out on adverts and done deal for local offers too.
    I got 2 Cleveland wedges cheap last year for 60 for the pair and they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I wouldn’t buy a wedge 2nd hand, they have a very short life span already. Once the groves go I believe they are a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I wouldn’t buy a wedge 2nd hand, they have a very short life span already. Once the groves go I believe they are a waste of money.
    Depends on what you want to get from them. OP said he was a high handicapper, so if he's like me it's more about the distance control than the spin. When I get to single figures, I'll worry about the grooves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Depends on what he's hoping to get from them, if they're just a number club ( wants to hit a certain yardage) second hand is perfectly fine. If he plays a low spin ball (top flite etc) it won't matter if he blades it he won't see that much spin.

I buy them new abd play a spinny ball but I like to see check on chips and pitches but plenty of guys I play with plan for much more roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

thanks for the feedback all

didnt realise that quick wear is a big concern
    ill bear that in mind

I am a high handicapper but always in search of a bit of check,
    i play a pro v1 or similar. i can get spin back on full shots and reasonable check on half swings with my current stock ping wedges and they are 28yrs old (although they did collect dust for those off years)

another related query please...! gapping!

so my PW is 47deg, my sw is around 55/56 (was already bent from the stock 52 when i bough them)
    so im wondering what way to go with this huge gap,
    the ping wedges are the stock Zing models (the big mad looking chunky ones with crazy weighting) i think ill retire the SW as its so different to dedicated bladed wedges and it would be in the middle of the wedges set, i think id be better with three vokeys or similar while keeping the 47* ping wedge ,
    i think a 58 as my last wedge would suit better than a 60 at my level, i have a cheapo 61 for years and i struggle to commit to short shots at that loft,

so any suggestions? 50, 54, 58 i suppose is the way to go?
    at the top of the bag i play driver, 5wd and then 3-W in the irons
    so that my 14 alloted

thanks

• I have 3 second hand Ping Glide Wedges 50/54/58 if you want them. Drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can go 50/54/58 , 1° won't make a noticeable difference.

What I would say is though its not a hard and fast rule. If your 56 goes a certain yardage that you hit a lot (say 90yds) and it's all you really use it for you need to ask yourself if you want to lose it.

I found my 54° was going too far too often so new wedge set up I replaced it with a 56°. The reverse could apply to you, you could be picking up yardage you don't want.

You haven't talked bounce yet either. I know your saying your a high handicap but no harm doing it right. Plenty of high handicaps with good short game and poor in other areas.

Advertisement