Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast iron fireplace

• 15-09-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Could anyone advise me if this is an antique or it's possible value? It is in an old cottage soon to be demolished. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭20/20

Not sure if its worth much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

the3rdman wrote: »
    Could anyone advise me if this is an antique or it's possible value? It is in an old cottage soon to be demolished. Thanks

Out of a cottage it will probably have very little value. Try your nearest salvage yard - some are listed here: https://collectireland.com/salvage/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 the3rdman

Sorry I forgot to attach image last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

the3rdman wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot to attach image last time.

Must be some cottage!

If you're selling it, you need to have it removed very carefully - an auction room or a salvage yard your best bet. Salerooms are at the same web address as the salvage yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I have had that exact fireplace for sale many times and in at least two different sizes.The general length of the mantlepiece is between 54 and 60 inches.

These are making less money now than years ago when there was a huge demand for such fireplaces.

This one is in good condition and is attractive enough,it is probably worth about €400 to a private client half that to a dealer who would sell it installed with new fireback grate and front plus a granite or slate base for a thousand /1200.

This one seems to have been fitted in this location in recent times and will be very easy to remove.Two "lugs" can be seen about 7 or 8 inches down from the top and they stick out like segments of a circle and if one looks closely a screw can be seen in the centre of the "lug" remove the screws and out it comes.There are of course two more lugs at the bottom which also have screws that are easily removed.
    The fireplace was probably made between 1860 and 1890,sometimes there is a diamond shaped stamped on the back of fireplaces which can date it to the exact year of manufacture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement