Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CCTV - Something simple and reliable

• 11-10-2019 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

All I really need is a single channel system (one camera) that will reliably record over a long period while allowing the user to see whats going on in real time and me to come along and easily look back over a period of time.

What its for is my mother has dementia and is imagining someone around the back of the house messing about she even thinks they are burying stuff in the garden and messing with the water supply. Suffice it to say local police and water authority have been involved and its quite obvious nothing is going on.

The idea is to provide her with a screen she can switch on and look and see for herself that no one is there. Obviously if there is someone there I'd like a record of it.

Simplicity is the key, I hope I can set it up so she can't switch it off (any electrical appliance left plugged in over night could cause a fire :rolleyes: my late father an electrician to thank of that) so all she will see is and old VGA screen which she can switch on and off as much as she likes. The house is a dormer bungalow with easy access to all four corners so installation should be easy enough, iirc there are even power sockets installed in the roof spaces.

There is no broadband in the house so I won't be monitoring it remotely.

Current thoughts are a getting the cheapest HIKVISION box https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIKVISION-CHANNEL-DIGITAL-RECORDER-DS-7204HQHI-K1/dp/B078TLHJHZ putting in a 500GB HDD and getting a single camera. I can easily spend more if necessary and if one area is proven to be free of any intruders perhaps new ones will be imagined.

The house is in the UK and I'll get to check the system once a month. It may not be long before my mother is in a home but apart from this particular issue she is quite capable of looking after herself and I'd like to leave her her freedom for as long as possible.

Advertisement