Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Psychcolgy

• 23-09-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Runners, Does any body
    here use a sports psychologist.
    Thinking of getting one or
    are they any use.
    I believe thay are
    Intrinsic to getting the best
    Out of oneself in a cohesive
    Way forward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

are they any use.
    I believe thay are
    Way forward

Why do you feel you need one?
    As with most answers on here. That answer is usually "it depends".

Do you find it hard to motivate yourself to train?.
    Do you get nervous before a race competition?
    If so do you find it hard to channel the nerves in a positive way..
    If the answer is yes to any of the above then using a sports psychologist might help to address some or all of your concerns..

While this might sound elitist. I would also say it depends on the level you are at. I personally wouldn't see the need have a sports psychologist if for example you're trying to break 40 minutes for 10k, you might be better talking to a coach in this case..

But I full appreciate that everyone's needs are different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

are they any use.
    I believe thay are
    Way forward
    Sports psychology is in the category of the 2 precenters that elite sports refer when ttying to gain an edge. Of course for non elites like most of us the obvious gains are to be made focusing on the 98%. All the things like extreme diets, strenhth + conditioning, mind exercises etc can all be far out weighed by just going for a run. If running is the thing you want to improve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've spoken to a few and follow their work because of my job. I don't see the need for them for my personal circumstances, but think it and sports science are fascinating fields. As it happens, I discovered the Sports Psych Show podcast a few days ago and listened to an episode today. No doubt there are others. https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-sport-psych-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'd agree with UltraPercy. Concentrate on the 98%! That and work on writing sentences that get to the end of the line.

:)

Advertisement