Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2019, 15:16   #16
Good jib!

@ OP

It's going to depend on your age and weight/height as well. Lots of people on here state their goals, but it's obviously going to be different if you're a twentysomething or an aulfella like myself (mid 40s).
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 23:24   #17
Cona

Lots of advice floating around but can be hard to summarize it in your own head. From someone who was in your situation previously, you need to be careful when people advise you too just run lots of slow miles. Yes, it’s true you need an aerobic base for 5k but you MUST simulate 5k effort running in training if you are going to improve those times. They won’t come down much by just jogging everywhere. I’ve posted the below in the past which should give you an idea:

“I was in a similar situation to you a few years back. If you want that extra boost in performance, you need to review your current training and make some adjustments so that you are stressing your body into getting fitter.
My advice:

- Think and train in blocks of 4-6weeks. It takes your body time to adapt to new training stresses. Stress, test, rinse, repeat.

- increase your mileage. Sub 20 5k you should be running minimum 35-45 miles a week (More is better).

- LsR of 10-12 miles will be sufficient to break 20. Around 8 - 8.30 min per mile pace

- include 1 VO2 max session per week e.g. Running at 90-95% max. Example: 5x1k at race pace or slightly faster.

- include 1 tempo run per week. This session will help with speed endurance example: 12 mins @ LT pace + 10 mins at LT + 8 @ LT pace. 4 min jog recovery. LT pace should be around 7 min mile (that is if your close to sub20 5k. Adjust lt pace outwards if your not, around 40 secs slower than current 5k pace)

- Embrace the pain. 5k is 20 minutes of pure pain so you have to be used to this and need to simulate this in training.

Mon: 7 easy
Tues: 3 WU, 3x1000m off 2 min recovery + 3x800m off 1 min recovery + 3x400 off 45 secs recovery, WD
Wed: 5 recover
Thurs: 2 WU + 2 x 10 mins @ LT pace, 2 WD
Fri: Rest
Sat: 8-12 miles

I would suggest to copy this template for 6 weeks, albeit varying the sessions, trying to add very slight progressions each week. Then test your 5k pace in a park run. If not quite there, repeat above for another 6weeks.
Stress, test, rinse, repeat.
(6) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 09:07   #18
IvoryTower

I would be very surprised if either OP's are currently running 15mpw nevermind 40mpw
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 16:52   #19
IvoryTower

19.42 i take it
20-09-2019, 22:20   #20
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTower View Post
19.42 i take it
Yes this week, 20 miles running. and 45 miles cycling.
Advertisement
20-09-2019, 22:21   #21
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cona View Post
Lots of advice floating around but can be hard to summarize it in your own head. From someone who was in your situation previously, you need to be careful when people advise you too just run lots of slow miles. Yes, it’s true you need an aerobic base for 5k but you MUST simulate 5k effort running in training if you are going to improve those times. They won’t come down much by just jogging everywhere. I’ve posted the below in the past which should give you an idea:

“I was in a similar situation to you a few years back. If you want that extra boost in performance, you need to review your current training and make some adjustments so that you are stressing your body into getting fitter.
My advice:

- Think and train in blocks of 4-6weeks. It takes your body time to adapt to new training stresses. Stress, test, rinse, repeat.

- increase your mileage. Sub 20 5k you should be running minimum 35-45 miles a week (More is better).

- LsR of 10-12 miles will be sufficient to break 20. Around 8 - 8.30 min per mile pace

- include 1 VO2 max session per week e.g. Running at 90-95% max. Example: 5x1k at race pace or slightly faster.

- include 1 tempo run per week. This session will help with speed endurance example: 12 mins @ LT pace + 10 mins at LT + 8 @ LT pace. 4 min jog recovery. LT pace should be around 7 min mile (that is if your close to sub20 5k. Adjust lt pace outwards if your not, around 40 secs slower than current 5k pace)

- Embrace the pain. 5k is 20 minutes of pure pain so you have to be used to this and need to simulate this in training.

Tues: 3 WU, 3x1000m off 2 min recovery + 3x800m off 1 min recovery + 3x400 off 45 secs recovery, WD

I would suggest to copy this template for 6 weeks, albeit varying the sessions, trying to add very slight progressions each week. Then test your 5k pace in a park run. If not quite there, repeat above for another 6weeks.
Thanks for this , I haven't read it fully yet but when I do I'll come back with any questions at a quick glance it looks interesting.
22-09-2019, 20:09   #22
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cona View Post

My advice:

Assuming WU is warm up and all the weeks numbers are in miles? I understand the plan and that looks really good. What I am thinking of doing is a 60km adventure race in a few weeks and then focusing on sub 20min 5km over Xmas while the adventure races are off season. So I am increasing distance at the moment and doing some brick sessions with cycling and running to get better at the transition. Exciting when there is something to aim for.
22-09-2019, 20:29   #23
Swashbuckler

Going from 20 miles a week to the plan above without some sort of base building or progression is a good way to end up on the scrapheap.
(2) thanks from:
22-09-2019, 20:31   #24
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Going from 20 miles a week to the plan above without some sort of base building or progression is a good way to end up on the scrapheap.
No no no, I am going to work towards the 60km A/R, cycling kayak and run, and after that I might work up towards the plan above. The 10km I did last week nearly killed me never mind running 5 miles as an easy run.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion