Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suzuki Samurai restoration project

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

No contribution, but i'm quite enjoying this. There's a nice attention to detail about it.

Thanks man.

I'm going into way way more detail than I originally planned.... Keeps making progress slower and slower :D

The 166, 156 and CLK keep soaking up my money too :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Another great restoration project Zebra. I know it's an effort sometimes to stop and take pictures but it really brings the whole thing to life for all of us. Keep up the excellent work and why isn't RTE looking for people doing restos like this? A real time, real life project, without all the madness, side plots, predictable disasters and looming deadlines that usually accompany such programmes.

They could feature a number of different projects, jumping back and forth as progress dictates.

Anyway, great work and thanks again for all the effort in sharing it with us!

sogood wrote: »
    Another great restoration project Zebra. I know it's an effort sometimes to stop and take pictures but it really brings the whole thing to life for all of us. Keep up the excellent work and why isn't RTE looking for people doing restos like this? A real time, real life project, without all the madness, side plots, predictable disasters and looming deadlines that usually accompany such programmes.

They could feature a number of different projects, jumping back and forth as progress dictates.

Anyway, great work and thanks again for all the effort in sharing it with us!

Thanks for the kind words sir! :D

It would be great to have some sort of a show like that. A youtube series would be the place to start.

I have the next couple of days off work so hopefully I'll get around to doing some more work on the jeep. That's depending on the weather not being too sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi Ded_Zebra ,
    Any updates on this project as I was really enjoying the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All the projects I was following on Boards all seemed to die off a few months ago.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,

Glad you've been enjoying the build! Progress has been slow over winter. I'll post a few pics of the little bit that has been done. I think I lost some of the pics... So I'll explain what has been happening.

I finished stripping and cleaning the front axle. Then once that was done it was primed and painted red just like the rear one.

I also took apart the front brake callipers and left them to soak in Deox to remove all the rust. Once that was done I painted them black. Nice compared to the "race" yellow a previous owner painted them :D

I then cleaned up both the gearbox and the transfer box. Changed the oil in both of course and I also fitted new gear shift bushings in the gearbox. The change is tight and precise once again :)

I then mounted the front axle back on the chassis with the leaf springs.

I also such the transfer box back on.

I'll drip feed you the photos over the next couple of days, keep you entertained a little longer. :D:D

I'm uploading some pictures as I type this so I'll get some up soon :)

Gear box, transfer box and stripped front axle:

IMG_4934_zpsg0gagd7j.jpg

Fitting the new shift bushings:

IMG_4935_zpslmlbwbdj.jpg

IMG_4936_zpsqy2bis42.jpg

Stick out with one of the old bushings

IMG_4941_zpsaiahpjh8.jpg

The other bushing, you ca also see the "shifter bolt" is broken:

IMG_4942_zpseb4its4u.jpg

New shifter bolt, bushings and O ring.

IMG_4947_zps7tdttjjn.jpg

IMG_4948_zpsxmqgozre.jpg

Gearbox cleaned and masked up for paint :

IMG_4951_zpsz975u8ka.jpg

Painted aluminium silver:

IMG_4952_zpsjssri5e1.jpg

A before and after paint side by side:

IMG_4955_zps4cuducq7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow the paint job on the gearbox in the last pic looks amazing.

Wow the paint job on the gearbox in the last pic looks amazing.

Cheers :)

the paint is really thin special aluminium paint so the aluminium keeps all of the texture of the casting etc. Looks like brand new freshly case aluminium.

I have uploaded a few more!

Filling the gear oil after the painting:

IMG_4959_zpstmgdpl0d.jpg

Painting the stick is also important ;)

IMG_4960_zps0tx69t6k.jpg

IMG_4969_zpsmauk5pn1.jpg

Transfer box

IMG_4965_zpswkiyyre4.jpg

both boxes all finished :)

IMG_4977_zps0zthhyjy.jpg

Transfer box back in its home for the next 30 years :)

IMG_5551_zpssfua0ful.jpg

I've forgotten where this next piece actually goes... I think it is something to do with protecting the fuel filler neck where it passes through the wheel well. I suppose I'll find out during re-assembly :pac:

IMG_4972_zpsepyhsbei.jpg

IMG_4974_zpsv0ke2tc8.jpg

IMG_4975_zpsibabjzhx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Love it. That aluminum paint is class!

I told you you have a natural ability for painting things ;)

Next thing was the front axle.

Here it is fully wire brushed:

IMG_4978_zps0xsteqg1.jpg

After a few coats of primer:

IMG_4980_zpsmegrxawg.jpg

First couple of coats of red going on:

IMG_5066_zpsll4msaor.jpg

Then I got side tracked with the front brake callipers :pac: they had got fair crusty over the years.

IMG_5068_zpswu27kt89.jpg

IMG_5069_zpsbnaqh0jc.jpg

Pistons in reasonable condition:

IMG_5070_zpssizbdgg8.jpg

They were also treated to a good soaking in Deox C and then painted black:

IMG_5137%201_zpsezlwrjtw.jpg

Refitted the brake lines onto the rear axle. The front axle is still existing it it's 1/2 painted state at this stage :p I got bored with all the painting.

IMG_5134_zpspwiccn8h.jpg

I really wish I had a lift! Needed to jack the chassis to move the supporting wheels back so I can fit the front axle. The chassis without the axles are not at all heavy, 2 people can lift it handy enough! The jacks were just needed so I out move it by myself.

IMG_5552_zpsmhvdjnb5.jpg

I have lost the photos of finishing the painting of the front axle. Here it is anyway being reunited with the chassis.

IMG_5553_zpsgvu3j8zy.jpg

IMG_5554_zpscat9zu42.jpg

IMG_5557_zpsupaodi3m.jpg

That's all folks, you are now bang up to date on progress :) I'm hoping to potter away this weekend if I have a little time! So hopefully I'll have something more to add soon.

Hey Ded Zebra I know it's been a while but any update on this project?
    I had been enjoying it and i don't know what brought it into my head just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ded Zebra has been off boards for over a year.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ded Zebra has been off boards for over a year.

Thanks Colm, didn't notice that.

Advertisement