Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop motion video program.

• 08-10-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Does anyone know a good (free) app or program for Mac which allows me to easily make small videos when I just dump a load of burst shot frames into it to create a stop motion vid?

I've used final cut pro before and don't have it anymore and am just doing a small favour for a client.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Lesalare wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good (free) app or program for Mac which allows me to easily make small videos when I just dump a load of burst shot frames into it to create a stop motion vid?

I've used final cut pro before and don't have it anymore and am just doing a small favour for a client.

Thanks

You can hack a Canon camera with a custom firmware file (you copy it onto the SD card) and use it as a webcam.

Also there are 1080p webcams that are quite good.

What I would do is:
    - Install VLC player on MacOS/Windows/Ubuntu
    - Go to: Media -> Open Capture Device -> Video -> Web cam will show on the drop-down menu here.
    - Click 'Play' and you will be able to see what's in the camera's view live.
    - Pose your models, then hit the screenshot shortcut:
    Command+Alt+s ( or Shift+s on Linux/Windows)

For every frame you will get a screenshot image file in your home folder.

Then what you can do is open Blender Video Editor:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvr54FtfYl4
    And click Import -> movie.

If blender sees a sequence of say *.jpeg images (their file names increment in number etc.) it treats it like a video file.

You can then break the timeline strip into individual frames and adjust the timing i.e. sometimes you want to hold a frame longer and so on.

I think anmiators work with 12 frames per second so you can adjust that in the rendering panel. You can also key in 12 frames and render in 24 frames.

Blender also allows for compositing so you can use a green screen and replace it with a backdrop image etc.

Advertisement