Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsuccessful - post here

• 15-06-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have you just been unsuccessful in a driving test? :(

Crestfallen, dejected, despondent, disgruntled?

If you wish to relate your experiences to others, please post here rather than begining a new thread.

Please keep it clean. Any offensive reference to driving examiners, inspectors, instructors or others may be edited or deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Nobody else is going to step up to the plate here, no? No?

sigh

Okay then. I failed today after my Freakishly Short Wait for Wonderful Surprise! Test, and only having been driving for three months or so. Didn't get any of the pink marks (yay) and most of my blue ones were for poor clearance of pedestrians and parked cars, and not using my mirrors enough for certain things. Nothing that can't be fixed with practice anyway. My tester was very positive and encouraging and told me to reapply straight away and get one or two more lessons. Overall I'm glad I did the test and I think it'll improve my driving.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I failed mine back in May. Got 4 in a line for observation turning left and 6 else where. Driving instructor was very surprised. Anyway, reapplied the minute I got home so should be resitting in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck rain on. :(

Good to hear that the tester was positive and encouraging. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

I failed mine back in May... i was really down about it because everyone had me convinced i would pass it, even my instructor... and then i miserably failed it :cool:

i waited until last week after the Leaving Cert was finished to re-apply so i should be sitting it again in about 4 weeks time.

Did you apply for a cancellation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

feylya wrote:
    Did you apply for a cancellation?

me?? no....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Failed in Rathgar this evening. Very sound tester, and all the grade 2's and grade 3's were deserved - one for a very bad right turn. Will be applying asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Red Alert wrote:
    Failed in Rathgar this evening
    Hard luck Red Alert. :(
    Red Alert wrote:
    Will be applying asap
    That's the spirit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rathgar can be such an easy place to do your test, but if you get it at the wrong time from 3pm afterwards it's a fecking nightmare.

first time i got it there i was at 4:30pm, it was during midterm but still the amount of potential hazzards on the road that i didn't see lead me to fail it.

second time around i got 10am in the morning, was easier as there was less traffic and i was more prepared for it.

you'll get it next time Red_Alert for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Failed in rathgar, probably should have had more than 3 lessons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I failed in Rathgar back in January - all the ticks were in clutch control and obstacles (the rest of the form was clear). My father taught me to drive and I suppose that's where that clutch habit comes from. I was gutted though - I really don't think that I dealt with any obstacles badly. I'm working on it though and I was called again for July. I'll be on hols though, so I need to postpone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

dudara wrote:
    all the ticks were in clutch control and obstacles (the rest of the form was clear). My father taught me to drive and I suppose that's where that clutch habit comes from.

just wondering what was this terrible habit?? coasting?? i do that a bit..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Coasting - though the thing is I don't often have the clutch pushed in. My foot does hover over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

Just failed my test :( I was so worried about avoiding big mistakes that I let smaller bad practice creep up in my practice. End result, 9 Grade 2s. In other words, failed by a single fault >_<

Faults mostly in vehicle control. Am I pissed off? Yes, a little. I don't mind failing so much as having to wait the guts of a year to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

just failed in Finglas :(:(:( I feel a bit disappointed that I let my nerves get the better of me!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Failed on clearance of stationary vehicles......couldn't believe it:eek: I never ever got pulled up on that before. I thought the test went great apart from one silly mistake that I knew I made. Just finished it about 20mins ago.....I'm gutted in away because driving is like a hobby for me but at the same time I'm like wtf clearance of stationary vehicles....was hoping he would tell me I'm only joking ......just couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

SeanW wrote:
    I don't mind failing so much as having to wait the guts of a year to go again.

After you get your ref number give them a ring. Apply for a cancellation, and if you say you'll take one at short notice (make sure to state this) you might get one very soon cause there's lots of cancellations this time of year. I got a call last Friday to take one today, you can get one very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

How do you go about applying for a cancellation? I failed my test in Rathgar (again surprise surprise :mad: ) and the tester told me to apply for a cancellation. I asked him whether i needed a letter from my employer and he said that i didnt. When i rang up the next day after applying, the person on the phone told me i could only get a cancellation with a letter. Sorry if this has been asked before but some friends of mine have gotten a cancellation with a letter and others without - what is the procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm sending in a letter with my application today - i did this for my bike test and got it in 2 weeks. I'm dreading the test thou - i keep going over the last one in my mind! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

I failed early on in the year at Orwell road. TOO CLOSE TO STATIONARY OBJECTS! Correct me if i'm wrong but I was supposed to be roughly half a doors width away from parked cars. Don't get caught out like me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was told a door's width from parked cars when possible. Dunno who's right, but I play it safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

failed last week for not reacting fast enough to hazards 2 strikes for not pulling out early enough at parked cars 1 strike for not stopping early enough when an oncoming truck nueeded to come into my lane even though i stopped about 50 yards away from the object the truck was going around and it had plenty of room and 1 strike for getting too close(15feet) to a motorbike turning in the driving test car park at the very end 4 grade twos in a row equals fail. no other strikes on the page except for 1 grade two in the turnabout.

the worst thing is my instructor never once mentioned that i was doing these things wrong

failed there for:

grade 3 for not giving right of way to a car coming up as I was turning right (
    looking back I think the tester was perfectly correct)

grade 2's for Position on Bends, Position Turning Right, Position Turning Left and Observation Turning Right (x2) for a total of five.

It's annoying that I would have passed apart from the right turn (which was as I was heading back for the test centre!) Very sound tester, and I was much more relaxed about the whole thing than before so next time'll be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 misssunshine123

hi failed in raheny today . v v dissappointed as most of my faults were simple things but nerves made me miss them.

however i got 11 faults altogether. understand most of them but just few questions regarding others.

2 grade 2's were for positioning on the straight ?? my instructor always told me to stay in on lhs so i was particularily aware of this and cannot for the life of me think why i got 2 faults ? anyone any advice regarding this ?

also 2 grade 2 faults for hazards - on one of the narrow roads off vernon ave i met a truck turning right while i was approaching to turn left. there was a parked car on his side so it was too tight. i stopped before turn and gave what i thought was enough distance for him to pull through but tester told me to reverse a little which i did successfully and carefully. would that still have been a fault and if so why and what should i have done differently?

also another fault for a hazard though have no idea why/where . could anyone explain types of hazards and what is the correct way of dealing with them.

also exactly what are the boundaries of test routes. is it so many miles from centre or specfic areas ?. im particularily interested about raheny.

finally (sorry 4 long post) all in all have to say tester was a bit of a stickler but reasonable enough. he advised me to do another few re-tests and then apply for cancellation. is this the normal thing to say or can i take a little solace from the fact that he said that and that im close to getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The positioning on the straight ones could be if you were passing parked vehicles and didn't leave approx. a car door's width as you passed, in case someone opened a door suddenly etc. Otherwise I suppose it could be if you were too close to the left, as the edges of most roads are much more badly surfaced than the centre, have drains, potholes etc.

Surprised the tester told you to reverse when you encountered that truck - did the truck have enough room to turn when you were at the position you thought it was safe to stop at?

The hazard could have been pretty much anything encountered on the way that the tester thought you did not slow down enough for, didn't stop for, etc. He'd have to tell you what that was.

As for test routes, they have to be more flexible nowadays to cope with road works, people missing turns etc. My instructor recommended not learning a specific route but practicing in the general area of the test centre, he said it was not a good idea to get fixated on a particular route and then maybe get thrown if/when the tester deviated from that.

It sounds like the tester genuinely thought you were reasonably close to passing and were perhaps unfortunate and/or nervous. Do as he said and get a few more pre-test lessons with a good instructor, apply for a cancellation and you may be on the road with a full licence in a couple of months :) Good luck.

I think the tester gave good advice there - i was told to do the same twice and am doing that - i did see the improvement the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I failed in Finglas a few weeks ago. I drove quite well altho I got a few grade 2s on lack of left hand turning observation - i dont understand this, can anyone explain it? i got no bad marks for my mirrors but got done for left hand turning observation, when he told me i wasnt great on that i assumed he meant my mirrors, but it wasnt mirrors!

I failed on my turnabout though, I was quite good at practicing this, he took me to an awful road where both sides of the road were really sunk down, i.e. it was like doing constant hill starts. I got the feeling he wanted me to fail as I'm quite inexperienced on the road but i got my licence ages ago and needed the test to get my third provisional, I know that's terrible!! However the man was really nice and really calmed me down, I was shaking going into the test, I never expected to pass!

I havent reapplied yet as I really just dont use the car much and got so sick of driving in circles to practice :( it actually got to the stage where I was upset at the thought of having to practice driving (I know I'm a sap) and I cried during my pretest cos it was going shockingly bad! Once I'm back from my hols I'll get back out driving and reapply again (but will go to a different instructor!!!)

I failed on the observation turning left in May. It was for checking my blind spot when turning. Makes sense, could be a cyclist hidden there and you could hit him quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

yeah I thought it might have been left hand blind spot, i was never told to check that by my instructor, I was told that's what your mirrors are for??!! If I was changing lanes on a dual carriageway and changing into the left lane id check the blind spot then!

• Advertisement

I wasn't told it either, which was strange. It does make sense to do it when you think about it.

Advertisement