Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The V&V Feedback Thread part II

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,936 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Please don't be fooled by some of your fellow Vegans, some of whom are most vocal and aggressive on this forum, and who are clearly trouble makers and Sh1t stirrers of the highest calibre

<Snip> Not feedback, attacking posters

<Snip> Not feedback, attacking posters

<Snip> Attacking Moderation

At this stage, there is quite a dossier of evidence, of this blatant and corrupt one sided moderation.

It is telling, to note that every Vegan contributor to this thread has praised the moderating over the last number of weeks. That in itself tells quite alot.

It is time that boards.ie has a thorough examination of this forum and start handing out forum bans to those who constantly break the charter and to those who are so disingenuous as to call themselves Vegans.

^^ This is the only actual feedback that I can salvage from your post

White Clover your full post is there for anyone to see, it was edited yesterday for the reasons marked in bold text and I am not going to restore the edited text as it was an attack on two posters in the forum.
    Will you put up a list from the last 2 months of reported posts and actions taken on the forum, so that we can see if there is light touch moderation prevalent on one side and heavy handed ignorant Moderation on the other side?

No - this is not something you will get from any moderator in any forum. Reports are confidential and we do not discuss mod actions. Some mod actions are visible on thread, such as cards or mod edits, and some are not. That's really all there is to say about that.

Are you asking me if there is one sided moderation or telling me that in your opinion there is?

As above, if you have constructive feedback about the forum I'd love to read it. If you have an issue with how the forum is being moderated you can take that up in the help desk forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

In general I'm happy with the direction that the forum has taken - I was avoiding it for some time as it had been invaded by people who had no interest in Veganism or Vegetarianism other than for the purpose of being contrarian - I've made my decision a long time ago not to have living my life harmful to any animal and the fact that there is a forum for like minded people to discuss any aspect of their adopted lifestyle is great.

I grew up on a dairy farm in the west of Ireland back in the 70s and 80s, and my wife's family business was intensive poultry farming, so both of us have an understanding that farming is by it's very nature not cruelty free - I'm glad that the forum has been overhauled to afford me better protection for that stance, rather than having to accept abuse, preaching, belittlement or sarcasm from people with vested interests in lifestyles and careers contrary to my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

In general I'm happy with the direction that the forum has taken - I was avoiding it for some time as it had been invaded by people who had no interest in Veganism or Vegetarianism other than for the purpose of being contrarian - I've made my decision a long time ago not to have living my life harmful to any animal and the fact that there is a forum for like minded people to discuss any aspect of their adopted lifestyle is great.

I grew up on a dairy farm in the west of Ireland back in the 70s and 80s, and my wife's family business was intensive poultry farming, so both of us have an understanding that farming is by it's very nature not cruelty free - I'm glad that the forum has been overhauled to afford me better protection for that stance, rather than having to accept abuse, preaching, belittlement or sarcasm from people with vested interests in lifestyles and careers contrary to my own.

Excellent post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,936 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

White Clover do not post in this thread again

Your latest post, which I have just deleted, was not feedback. It was petty point scoring and having another dig at moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

What's the story of videos being posted showing graphic scenes of violence against animals ? Will they be removed or left with a NSFW warning as in the one posted in the off topic chat thread ? Do videos that have graphic scenes of violence against either animals or humans for that matter, just get the NSFW treatment and left on the Boards.ie website ?

What's boards general policy on the posting of videos depicting violent acts ? Should the poster not get at least a warning for it ?

• Advertisement

The clip you are referring to advertised a documentary on the slaughterhouse trade, it did not show gratuitous violence for the sake of it or cruelty for the amusement of others and the individual sections depicting animals amounted to barely a couple of seconds across the 4.30 minute video.

Per the V&V forum charter. Videos containing any animal cruelty or similar must be labelled NSFW
    NcdJd wrote: »
    Should the poster not get at least a warning for it ?

NSFW tags have been added to the post containing the video and a mod note was added to the thread. Beyond that I am not discussing anything further regarding that post.
    NcdJd wrote: »
    What's boards general policy on...

Help Desk Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Well if there is one thing we should take from that video, it's to buy the next butcher you meet a pint.
    Best if you hold it for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I have had issues with moderation in the past, posts which should have been carded or actually banned for, mysteriously just disappeared :rolleyes:
    Current moderation, better than before. Harsher than other forums though.

I'm conscious that the thread has been quiet for nearly 2 weeks until the posts today.

With that in mind is there any more constructive feedback about the forum that anyone would like to give? We never planned for the thread to be left open indefinitely so we will wrap it up fairly soon I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hi all..

There are a number of topics rsised here I like to add to if I may.

I've noticed that some here have asked why farmers would be bothered posting in v&v. Coming from a farming background - the simple answer is that farming and food production threads are extremely common on the forum. It's perhaps therefore not surprising that farmers with knowledge and experience on these subjects should contribute. I've also seen a suggestion that because there's no common ground or wtte - that those farmers should simply be banned. Not really sure how that works on a what is a public forum tbh. Certainly there is no prohibition on posters here commenting on threads in f&f. Nor should there be imo.

I've also note there are a couple of references to discussion and "constantly defending veganism" or wtte.

In my time on the forum and as a long term contributor - I've yet to see any poster constantly posting that veganism or vegetarianism shouldn't be allowed etc. Those taking that pov or taking the proverbial were quickly headed off by Tar from doing so.

It is however notable from this thread that even everyday type discussion now seems to have become a major bone of contention and bizarrely seems to be conflated with the notion that any alternative point of view on any subject on just about anything else is 'antivegan, an attack or 'wasting everyone's time' or wtte.

Those who genuinely contribute to a discussion and have relevant experience and knowledge are certainly not being 'antivegan' or attacking anyone by simply engaging in an existing discussion. Especially where other posters have first hand knowledge and experience of a topic.

Some examples
    eg - where a claim is made that farming in Ireland leads to deforestation in the Amazon - another poster pointing out that in fact farming in Ireland does not contribute to deforestation in the Amazon is by no means an attack and certainly not 'antivegan'

Ditto. A thread on the topic 'are meat free burgers healthy?' - a poster adding there own knowledge on the topic or pov is not an attack on veganism.

I've noticed the issue of 'cruelty' has once again arisen. The topic was subject to an extensive discussion in a fairly recent help desk thread. A thread which involved contributions from all sides and none resulted in a change of the v&v charter - where that charter protected certain opinions - namely references to opinions on cruelty being sacrosanct

To quote Panch18 from that thread.
    The topic in hand is NOT banning the word cruel. The topic on hand is removing it from the charter. Having it in the charter allows people to use the word cruel as they want, when they want, and to do it without others having the option to challenge them on the statements demonised, abused and insulted on a public forum because a minority group make up a definition of something themselves and are then allowed to use it against farmers on a public forum?

I know that issue was dealt with by Admin and the charter duly amended. Yet it would still appear that posters are still being attacked for simply commenting on these issues when they are raised - and that even after the help desk thread was closed and the agreed changes made.

That said overall and imho - it's certainly not regular discussion which cause some notable issues. Rather it's name calling, trolling other boards users and the deliberate flaming of threads with personal comments. Even in this thread I've noticed a number of derogatory terms being used to refer to other posters which have crept in. Certainly no need of that imo.

Overall and imo the forum has become a much more negative place for discussion compared to a number of years ago. Posting on just about any topic has become antagonistic and guessing game as to what is allowed and what isn't.

Btw I certainly don't advocate for a private forum btw but if other posters are going to be constantly attacked for simply contributing to topical threads - then perhaps the only practical solution which remains is that comments in these threads are pre-approved. Something like this in pets

• Advertisement

OK as I mentioned yesterday I think the thread has run it's course at this stage and ample opportunity has been given to allow everyone to give their feedback.

Thanks to all who participated in the thread, it is genuinely appreciated. The mod team will discuss the main themes arising in this thread and go from there.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement