Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

her eye sight is blurry without her glasses I got her to try it without her glasses and we adjusted the slider and it was clear for her to use with no glasses

That's fascinating. I thought the slider was only for eye-spacing, but it's entirely possible that it also adjusts focus slightly.

was going to try it last night but fell asleep, does it work in the dark inside or out?

so this is an issue with the Quest: it doesn't work in extremely bright (i.e. bright sunshine) or dark settings, and you need to have the lights on in order for the cameras to work.

This is where the original Rift, and even the Go, excelled as they have no problems being used in the dark.

I believe John Carmack is looking at fixing this down the line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH......I've not been able to adjust to using my glasses with the Quest at all, even with the provided spacer.
    It doesn't actually suffer too much in comparison to say the likes of the PSVR in this regard for me personally, which is almost unusable for me without the specs.
    Just a case of finding the exact sweet spot with the Quest and it's not bad for me - at least until my VR Lens order shows up.

In other news, it looks as though there was a problem with the thirdparty VR Covers for the Quest, which they are blaming on Oculus making a design change from the development version, so anyone ordering covers will have to wait until end of July/August. Something about a missing plastic nub from the nose area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Had a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap lying around doing nothing - long story - so decided to give the Quest DAS mod that's been doing the rounds a go.
    Very easy to do, but I'm not sure it's the massive difference that some are claiming. Didn't really have any difficulty with the original strap, so perhaps I'm one of the few, but "10 times more comfortable with the DAS" - I'm not so sure. It's probably better, yes, but I've never been a fan of the VIVE DAS audio solution, so it's not a massive boon in that regard. Plus, the Quest takes on a less sleek 'feel' and overall package (the official case is automatically ruled out for storage etc).

Will leave it for the week anyway to see how it feels in any case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

McDermotX wrote: »
    TBH......I've not been able to adjust to using my glasses with the Quest at all, even with the provided spacer.
    It doesn't actually suffer too much in comparison to say the likes of the PSVR in this regard for me personally, which is almost unusable for me without the specs.
    Just a case of finding the exact sweet spot with the Quest and it's not bad for me - at least until my VR Lens order shows up.

In other news, it looks as though there was a problem with the thirdparty VR Covers for the Quest, which they are blaming on Oculus making a design change from the development version, so anyone ordering covers will have to wait until end of July/August. Something about a missing plastic nub from the nose area.

Just got the Quest the other day and played about with it initially without my glasses, seemed ok. Have put the spacer in now so I can wear glasses but so far not sure it makes much difference tbh.

I did notice that crackling you mentioned coming from the right speaker - happened one time but I'm mostly using headphones so not an issue thankfully.

Also got those Mamut grips in the post this morning - could not recommend them at all. They seem like a useful addition but they are an absolute nightmare to get on - gave up after an hour fiddling about with them.

Hopefully the VR Cover works out better when it eventually arrives. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I have the mamut grips too, I think they're great. There's a video on their website showing how to put them on. Makes throwing stuff feel much more natural.

• Advertisement

EGriff wrote: »
    I have the mamut grips too, I think they're great. There's a video on their website showing how to put them on. Makes throwing stuff feel much more natural.

Yeah watched that video but it shows the Touch controllers not the Quest ones - there's a little buckle thing on the Quest controller straps that wouldn't go through the hole at the bottom of the grips, not without a lot of force anyway. Also had problems getting the laces back through the clasp thing on the grip. Total pain in the arse. Bad design imo or maybe I got a wonky set. :)

Thankfully I'm finding the controllers ok to use as they are so far, although I haven't used them in anger in a game yet.

Tried out Quake today which was pretty cool.

Wrist straps should be enough to keep a good hold without the Mamut grips I would have thought?

I've got big hands but haven't really noticed any issues with grip...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

I wonder would Real VR Fishing be 6DoF with that?

mrcheez wrote: »
    I wonder would Real VR Fishing be 6DoF with that?

Yep to an extent.

There's a different sideloading method at the end of the video to the new one I posted but the Nox method is probably more user friendly.

• Advertisement

Anyone manage to get it working? The game just crashes back to the home screen when you select it from unknown sources for me. :(

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get it working? The game just crashes back to the home screen when you select it from unknown sources for me. :(

Which method did you use?
    Is your Oculus go account and Oculus Quest account the same?
    Could be a DRM issue if it isnt.

Speaking of DRM I found a Reddit thread in r/piracy that said most games have been cracked for the Oculus Quest and are shared on some russian forum.

Also try rebooting your quest if you haven't already.

Doge wrote: »
    Which method did you use?
    Is your Oculus go account and Oculus Quest account the same?
    Could be a DRM issue if it isnt.

Speaking of DRM I found a Reddit thread in r/piracy that said most games have been cracked for the Oculus Quest and are shared on some russian forum.

I used the Nox method (Clear Cache rather than Clear Data fixed the Oculus app crashing issue for me) and yep I logged in using the same Oculus account.

Restarted the Quest but it's still crashing back to home screen. Thanks anyway.

Seeing as I couldn't get that working I played around with Virtual Desktop instead - really impressed with it. Fired up DariusBurst CS via Steam and it played excellent.

Really starting to get into this VR lark. :D

I used the Nox method (Clear Cache rather than Clear Data fixed the Oculus app crashing issue for me) and yep I logged in using the same Oculus account.

Restarted the Quest but it's still crashing back to home screen. Thanks anyway.

Seeing as I couldn't get that working I played around with Virtual Desktop instead - really impressed with it. Fired up DariusBurst CS via Steam and it played excellent.

Really starting to get into this VR lark. :D

You should sideload RetroArch next as well as some of the other android emulators that don't use a front end.

Like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably should be a warning on BoxVR to stretch beforehand, might as well have went boxing for real after how sore my shoulder was for 2 days after. Thought I'd discolated it.

Thrill of the Fight is coming to Quest.

I was chatting to the dev. He has a working version, it's just undergoing testing with Oculus.

That will be THE fitness game to get for Quest, it's amazing on Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Ordered the quest the other day. 16th July is the expected delivery date

Just an update on Real VR Fishing not working on Quest - in the comments section of that Open PC Reviews tutorial video above - seems the dev pushed an update that prevents it from working on the Quest. Waste of 10 quid that was. :(

Just an update on Real VR Fishing not working on Quest - in the comments section of that Open PC Reviews tutorial video above - seems the dev pushed an update that prevents it from working on the Quest. Waste of 10 quid that was. :(

I reckon it's probably because he's going to be releasing a Quest version which will be at a higher pricepoint.

You may be able to refund it if you bought it for the Go though?

• Advertisement

I reckon it's probably because he's going to be releasing a Quest version which will be at a higher pricepoint.

You may be able to refund it if you bought it for the Go though?

Cheers, I might try the refund route. I guess it's only a tenner but will think twice before trying something like that again.

So with the Steam Summer sale on at the minute I notice some VR supported games are reduced. Thumper is only €5 versus €20 on the Ouclus store. Debating whether to get it on Steam and play it using Virtual Desktop or maybe that ALVR app. Already have the game on Xbox & mobile so don't fancy paying 20 quid for it again.

Anyone else picking up any games in the sale for use with the Quest?

Cheers, I might try the refund route. I guess it's only a tenner but will think twice before trying something like that again.

So with the Steam Summer sale on at the minute I notice some VR supported games are reduced. Thumper is only €5 versus €20 on the Ouclus store. Debating whether to get it on Steam and play it using Virtual Desktop or maybe that ALVR app. Already have the game on Xbox & mobile so don't fancy paying 20 quid for it again.

Anyone else picking up any games in the sale for use with the Quest?

I bought Trover Saves The Universe and it's amazing with the Go via VD so worth checking out. Not sure it's gonna go on sale though.

Gonna pick up Detached for under €5 so that might be one worth checking out

I'm considering Project Cars 2 ... that might be great with Quest and a wheel.

And In Death should be considered for Quest... greatest game I've ever played.

Thanks for those suggestions. I've added Trovor, In Death and Detatched to the wish list. Will probably get all 3. Trover especially looks great fun.

Went ahead and got Thumper, bar one or two stutters it plays very well using VD.

Also finally bought Beat Saber - very cool it is. :)

I'm considering Project Cars 2 ... that might be great with Quest and a wheel.

And In Death should be considered for Quest... greatest game I've ever played.

Is that a Quest specific copy of PC2? If not I believe I have a spare copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ceebo

Hi guys and girls, would anyone know of any physical location in Dublin selling the quest?

I know that's a long shot but if anyone would know it would be yourselves!

thanks

Argos were selling them at time of launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭kerplun k

ceebo wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls, would anyone know of any physical location in Dublin selling the quest?

I know that's a long shot but if anyone would know it would be yourselves!

thanks

If you don't mind going on a little jaunt, I think there's some available in Argos in N.I. you might save yourself a few bob too on the exchange rate.

Is that a Quest specific copy of PC2? If not I believe I have a spare copy of it.

Nah... this is just the standard Steam sale. You can play SteamVR games on the Quest via sideloaded apps like ALVR or VD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

There's a new game on SideQuest called Crisis VRigade. Worth checking out. You play a cop shooting bank robbers.

It got rejected from the official store but I think it's pretty good.

I got a headband for extra comfort, takes some of the pressure off your forehead and keeps the sweat off.

Advertisement