Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DFB on Tetra yet?

Options
  • 10-09-2017 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if Dublin fire service are on Tetra or are planning to move to Tetra radios?

I understand that some volunteer ambulance services are now on Tetra and can, if needed, talk directly to other services on Tetra.

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

jleavy046 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just wondering if Dublin fire service are on Tetra or are planning to move to Tetra radios?

I understand that some volunteer ambulance services are now on Tetra and can, if needed, talk directly to other services on Tetra.

Joe

I believe they are not - but that they will be moving at some point to a limited use of Tetra (Fireground op's radios still uhf for example). Can't remember source on that.

Voluntaries are in the process of rolling it out countrywide, but certainly a great system for direct comm's with NEOC, other services and the ability to open up inter-org chat groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just reading a bit more and I made the assumption that all main emergency services were working under the same communications platform.

Sort of related, if DFB want to 'transfer' a ambulance call for service from Tara street control to the NAS control center in Tallaght am I correct in saying that this is done electronically via some form of case exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I don't think so. The couple of times I was in NEOC the call handler dealing with DFB was verbally speaking to a Controller in Tara St.

Wow, thought those days in our capital city were long gone.

You'd think it would be simple to create an electronic exchange of basic 'tasking' information between the two agencies!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

jleavy046 wrote: »
    Wow, thought those days in our capital city were long gone.

You'd think it would be simple to create an electronic exchange of basic 'tasking' information between the two agencies!?!
    NEOC & Tara St use completely different cad systems, They are not compatible. NEOC use a new system with updates all the time. afaik DFB use an old system but correct me if im wrong about DFB.
    A new joint system would have to built/purchases and that would cost money so that will not happen!

• Advertisement

Tripp wrote: »
    NEOC & Tara St use completely different cad systems, They are not compatible. NEOC use a new system with updates all the time. afaik DFB use an old system but correct me if im wrong about DFB.
    A new joint system would have to built/purchases and that would cost money so that will not happen!

Roughly correct. DFB pick up the phone and ring NEOC with the call details. Bizzare in this day and age.

Ultimately means that either service has no view on nearest or potentially available resources. If DFB don't have someone nearby available for a call they pick up the phone and ask NEOC, who also may or may not but may take 60 seconds to get call details and look up resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

timmywex wrote: »
    Roughly correct. DFB pick up the phone and ring NEOC with the call details. Bizzare in this day and age.

Ultimately means that either service has no view on nearest or potentially available resources. If DFB don't have someone nearby available for a call they pick up the phone and ask NEOC, who also may or may not but may take 60 seconds to get call details and look up resources.

There is also the possibility that if NEOC don't answer call from DFB promptly it will be answered by Ballyshannon.

AmboMan wrote: »
    There is also the possibility that if NEOC don't answer call from DFB promptly it will be answered by Ballyshannon.
    That does not happen, DFB ring direct to NEOC in Tallaght

That does not happen, DFB ring direct to NEOC in Tallaght

It does happen, even when DFB were in the same room as NAS and phoned to request an ambulance it could be answered in Ballyshannon even though both controllers were only a few meters apart.

It does happen, even when DFB were in the same room as NAS and phoned to request an ambulance it could be answered in Ballyshannon even though both controllers were only a few meters apart.

Sorry,I'll rephrase my statement then. That does not happen now, We are talking about NEOC, as i said their is a dedicated line for DFB to contact NEOC In Tallaght. It used to happen back in Tara street when NAS/DFB shared the same Control Room which was a stupid system to use but it was the system in place at the time
    Anyway above is totally off topic. Getting back on topic. I don't know for sure if DFB will move to Tetra and stop using their current radio network. I would imagine cost is a huge factor?
    They do have a Tetra unit in Tara street to contact NEOC if/when phone lines go down and they need to contact NAS

• Advertisement

Sorry,I'll rephrase my statement then. That does not happen now, We are talking about NEOC, as i said their is a dedicated line for DFB to contact NEOC In Tallaght. It used to happen back in Tara street when NAS/DFB shared the same Control Room which was a stupid system to use but it was the system in place at the time
    Anyway above is totally off topic. Getting back on topic. I don't know for sure if DFB will move to Tetra and stop using their current radio network. I would imagine cost is a huge factor?
    They do have a Tetra unit in Tara street to contact NEOC if/when phone lines go down and they need to contact NAS

Not only does it still happen, the situation has deteriorated since the move to Tallaght. A quote from the latest HIQUA report March 2017

"In 2016, HIQA found that this situation had not been resolved, and instead had worsened due to increased demand for services – at a time when available resources levels had remained unchanged.
    Furthermore, analysis of calls transferred from Dublin Fire Brigade to the National Ambulance Service in a typical 24 hour period in Dublin by HIQA identified that
     a high proportion of calls that were being queued were potentially life threatening DELTA calls.
     for the minority of these DELTA calls which could be transferred over to the National Ambulance Service because they had available capacity at that time, a number experienced a delay in first response of between four and 10 minutes due to the to and fro of the process of call transfer between services "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

There is a dedicated phone and call taker in tallaght for DFB calls. Ballyshannon don't dispatch resources for the dublin region. Although call takers in ballyshannon may proqa calls for dublin.

Juanito13 wrote: »
    There is a dedicated phone and call taker in tallaght for DFB calls. Ballyshannon don't dispatch resources for the dublin region. Although call takers in ballyshannon may proqa calls for dublin.

There is a dedicated phone line I'm not disputing that. Also Dublin based NAS crews are regularly dispatched from Ballyshannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

There is a dedicated phone line I'm not disputing that. Also Dublin based NAS crews are regularly dispatched from Ballyshannon.

Yes so it is impossible for ballyshannon to process dfb calls. Regularly? I'd say very rarely

Juanito13 wrote: »
    Yes so it is impossible for ballyshannon to process dfb calls. Regularly? I'd say very rarely

How is it impossible? If the call is unanswered it can be diverted elsewhere.
    Yes regularly, crews in Dublin are dispatched to calls and the control room in Tallaght is unaware.

How is it impossible? If the call is unanswered it can be diverted elsewhere.
    Yes regularly, crews in Dublin are dispatched to calls and the control room in Tallaght is unaware.

The call can not be diverted elsewhere Amboman. There is no third party involved like ECAS. The dedicated line just rings. The call is always answered as there is a call taker there 24/7 who's sole job for that shift is only to liaise with DFB and nothing else.
    And yes you are correct. Ballyshannon can and does dispatch for areas surrounding Dublin and if needed dispatches a NAS dublin crew to calls.

The call can not be diverted elsewhere Amboman. There is no third party involved like ECAS. The dedicated line just rings. The call is always answered as there is a call taker there 24/7 who's sole job for that shift is only to liaise with DFB and nothing else.
    And yes you are correct. Ballyshannon can and does dispatch for areas surrounding Dublin and if needed dispatches a NAS dublin crew to calls.
    I know I'm correct I already stated that Ballyshannon dispatch Dublin ambulances.
    Your entitled to believe all calls are answered and there is sufficientl communication between DFB & NAS, but the reality is calls get lost between the two services not only delaying a response but in many cases no resource is dispatched at all.

Ballyshannon and Tallaght both answer 999 calls and enter them into a shared system. It doesn't matter who answers the call.

NEOC is national, gone are the days of the regional control centre's where that was an issue. The idea of 2 geographical diverse controls is in case one goes offline due to whatever reason that there's a resilient centre built in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i remember hearing the costs of what tetra ireland charge as rental and it was crazy something in the region of €80 per handheld and €150 per mobile per month multiply that by each appliance and firefighter in dfb and cost is crazy, then as dublin fall under the camp east system all other counties would have to migrate also, and its my belief that tetra ireland have to specifically open a channel for other services to contact each other so its still a phone call to them to activate this feature i stand to be corrected on this, camp east could in theory create their own tetra network but then they wont have inter agency, also tetra needs like the double the amount of repeaters compared to their current vhf system, tetra ireland is using alot of local authority masts that the fire service also use perhaps they could cut a deal, however in UK services are migrating away from tetra to a 4g ptt type system

Sorry, I'm only coming back to this tread now.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Totally off topic, but still somewhat related. How are calls for fire brigade answered for areas not covered by Tara Street? Or does Tara Street dispatch/take calls for all of Ireland?

If there's a second (or third) fire service dispatch in Ireland (maybe Ireland west?), do they use Tetra?

I guess my point is - is it only DFB not on Tetra?

I know volunteer ambulances are now going tetra.

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

None of the fire service are on Tetra.
    The voluntary ambo services are on Tetra as a result of lottery funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Pataman wrote: »
    None of the fire service are on Tetra.
    The voluntary ambo services are on Tetra as a result of lottery funding.

Are Tetra Ireland bluffing so advertising Cork City Fire Service as a customer?

http://www.tetraireland.ie/customers

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

kub wrote: »

But they also have DFB and Galway fire 8:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I would suggest its a bit of embellishment. They also claim to have CFR's which I know they dont.
    They probably trialed them at some stage

apparently i heard other day Dublin and camp east are going tetra next year, funding is being put in place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kub wrote: »

Interesting to note that the page has now been taken down ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Interesting to note that the page has now been taken down ...

It's still there.

found out some more info and got my wires crossed, each county is getting a tetra base radio for station and handheld radio, this is purely for large scale multi agency events such as flooding storms etc to have comms with other blue light services

deaglan169 wrote: »
    found out some more info and got my wires crossed, each county is getting a tetra base radio for station and handheld radio, this is purely for large scale multi agency events such as flooding storms etc to have comms with other blue light services

Someone, somewhere, (perhaps not here as I don't see it) posted a link to a project website which relates to the communication and dispatch for all fire services in Ireland. The web page referred to tetra and overall command and control, however no specific mention of Dublin in it.

I'm not going to repost the link in case its confidential, however I am going to contact that project team directly.

Thanks, Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

No secret : http://ctri.ie

Advertisement