Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "First" Irish people

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Thank you for all your input. As a very famous Irishman once noted, I'm no more knowledgeable, just better-informed.

tac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dubhthach wrote: »
    Plaza might be the wrong word that I'm grasping for here. More like a cermonial thresehold etc. Obviously not something you would be walking on.
    Gotcha, but still it looks so "messy" for want of a better word. It looks like a collapsed "something". The same "something" on Newgrange gave rise to a wall and while I don't agree with that reconstruction at all, I would be much more in favour of a something rather than a pile of stones at the entrance. I mean these people precision built these objects in the landscape, went to the tremendous effort to transport the various raw materials, decorate them with geometric patterns and line the structures up to various solar events and then piled stones higgledy-piggledy around the entrance? It just doesn't sit with me.

EDIT the name of the chap who spent many many years sensitively excavating Knowth is Dr. George Eogan. Kudos to the chap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well it's hard to say, something that might look messy to a modern eye could look very different from a different gaze. After all one can read accounts of Irish inaguration stones been called "rude stone chairs" by English commentators in the 16th century.
    etc. For example here is the inaguration chair of the "Clann Aodh Buí" Ó Neill (Clandeboye).

old spelling = Aodh Buidhe (Aodh of the Blonde hair)
    stone.jpg

Article on inaguration places from History Ireland:

An Tulach Tinóil (The Hill of gathering)
    http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume9/issue1/features/?id=261

Interesting I see following book in "Google Books" by the same author. Might have to see if I can source it.
    Royal Inauguration in Gaelic Ireland C. 1100-1600: A Cultural Landscape Study
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=cscQwIzZr70C&lpg=PA138&ots=8D9MTpPU3X&dq=inauguration%20chair%20rude%20stone&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Advertisement