Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    That's not gonna qualify for sale in the Marketplace.....

Be handy for taking some artistic shots of your retro collection on The Cliffs if Moher and the likes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Be handy for taking some artistic shots of your retro collection on The Cliffs if Moher and the likes :D

Actually, that's exactly it!
    Two paintings and it will have paid for itself, all jokes aside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the Sonic CD effect:

Rare, not well known or games that aren't very accessible to be played my the majority or people that are held up as some sort of mythical, amazing game experience that are actually kind of ****.

Anyone got one?

I'll start:

Xenogears

Even back in the late PS1 era this game was hard to find and expensive. Anime Eva fans wouldn't shut up about it. The moderator of the games forum at the time wouldn't shut up about how amazing it was. I managed to scrounge 80 euros together to import it from america and got screwed over with a scratched disc that wouldn't load. Second attempt at getting it for 80 euros worked.

And it was.... grand. It's a mish mash of nearly every sci fi idea and concept mixed together with a sprinkling of bargain basement Evangelion. It's a bit like 13 Sentinels in that regard except the concept works for 13 Sentinels while Xenogears comes across as trying to hard.

It's a very interesting game so actually well worth playing with a GOAT soundtrack contender but I couldn't call it great. For every story beat that works there's three pants on head stupid scenes. The combat system almost works but is at least interesting. Square seemed to copy Chrono Trigger for all it's game stories after it and like FF7 it's just a darker version of that. And the whole thing just isn't finished with disc 2 being the videogame equivalent of the last 2 episodes of evangelion with the protagonists sitting on a chair telling you the story (I'm not making this up, it is literally this).

And the worst thing. 2 weeks after I got the game EA announced a PS1 greatest hits release of the game for 20 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Inviere wrote: »
    That's not gonna qualify for sale in the Marketplace.....
    Well, unless you can plaster it with some kinda skin that relates it to some game franchise and say it's rare. That would qualify it surely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Well, unless you can plaster it with some kinda skin that relates it to some game franchise and say it's rare. That would qualify it surely?

It's a real-life WipeOut/Powerdrome/F-Zero game?
    Might have to get the stickers out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a real-life WipeOut/Powerdrome/F-Zero game?
    Might have to get the stickers out!
    Not to be a pedant, but...it's WipEout, lad.

Not to be a pedant, but...it's WipEout, lad.

I deserved that...
    But now you have to die...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Bumping the post again it's only up for a week, think it's nearly up
    Saw TheGayGamer sharing this post

Are you desperate for Onion Games to bring CHULIP and RULE OF ROSE to new consoles?
    Seriously need a physical version of DANDY DUNGEON and #moon_rpg?
    LET US KNOW!
    Right pointing backhand index
    https://oniongames.jp/survey

https://twitter.com/oniongames/status/1366223641655017473?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A bit off topic but I've seen comics mentioned a few times, I'm not familiar with them. I see there's an upcoming Marvel Alien comic I might check out, any ideas where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Just had an idea for a Virtual Beers there for anyone who has a PC.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116510418#post116510418

Let me know what you think in the beers thread.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    A bit off topic but I've seen comics mentioned a few times, I'm not familiar with them. I see there's an upcoming Marvel Alien comic I might check out, any ideas where to look?

I suppose online, from book selling behemoths at this stage, seeing as bricks and mortar comic shops are all closed.
    I can only find the Kindle/ComiXology edition on Amazon, don't know what comixology is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DaveyDave wrote: »

Message Dublin City Comics or Forbidden Planet on Facebook to see if they have stock. Both stores are open for home delivery.

I assume Big Bang and Sub City are operating like this as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rocky and Pocky is getting the same remake treatment that Wild Guns and Ninja Saviors got. Looking forward to it as the original is already a classic.

I suppose online, from book selling behemoths at this stage, seeing as bricks and mortar comic shops are all closed.
    I can only find the Kindle/ComiXology edition on Amazon, don't know what comixology is...

Yeah that's all I saw now, I was thinking maybe Irish stores won't list everything on their website if they did have it but I'll keep an eye out.
    Message Dublin City Comics or Forbidden Planet on Facebook to see if they have stock. Both stores are open for home delivery.

I assume Big Bang and Sub City are operating like this as well.

I'll give them a message. Big Bang had a few Alien comics on offer a few years ago, I picked up an omnibus from there before.

The Vectrex Raspberry Pi enhanced cart PiTrex is really starting to shine now.
    The latest baremetal files are on the way from a guy called Victor Malban and they look amazing.
    Basically, this thing will run almost any Vectrex game you can throw, including the more modern ones like Vectorblade which don't run on a standard flashcart.
    Also, it is running arcade titles like Asteroids, Tailgunner and Battlezone, with more to come.
    I'm not sure it'll ever run Star Wars but you never know.
    Here's a video of what it's doing in the next version, to be released soon

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone recommend a courier for collection/delivery of a gaming kiosk in Ireland.

Master of the Universe

Burzum wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a courier for collection/delivery of a gaming kiosk in Ireland.

Vantasks.ie. Use them with all of my moves and have had them move arcade machines up 5 flights of stairs, really sound lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

o1s1n wrote: »
    Vantasks.ie. Use them with all of my moves and have had them move arcade machines up 5 flights of stairs, really sound lads!

Nice one will reach out to them ty.

tiny link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Good vid from MVG (as always) on the Snes port of SFA2

• Advertisement

Too many unexpected car troubles of late may force me to sell my lovely PSX :(

Sell the car.

Too many unexpected car troubles of late may force me to sell my lovely PSX :(

What are they going for these days? I saw non working ones nearing €200 and I haven't seen many with a controller or remote for that price!

Mine runs CD stuff fine but doesn't seem to like DVDs and these are a curse to repair
    This doesn't have the original controller but it does have the remote...
    There's a ding on the case at the back too, nothing major

I'm going to look into the DVD function repair, if it's something that can be done.
    But even as is it's more functional than most of the Ebay PSX consoles.
    Feck it, I will probably hang onto it.
    I just had a look at the content and it's original owners recorded The Last Samurai on the hdd, dubbed into Japanese!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Speaking of arcade machines... I've completely lost my mind and dropped money on a Sega Blast City from a lad in Limerick.

Problem is... I'm going to have to take it apart, outside, hopefully with good weather, into three pieces so that it'll fit through the front door and up two flights of stairs.

I've only just realised that the Blast City doesn't use Philips head screws to keep itself together, but rather JIS screws.

Delivery is set for Wednesday... and I don't have these bits. Apparently if I use regular Philips head screwdrivers on them then I could potentially strip them. If I can't take this machine apart I am *****ed*. I'd have to leave it outside and somebody would end up taking it, or worse it'd get rained on.

I probably didn't fully think this through but I've wanted one of these machines literally for years.

Can anybody here point me towards a hardware store that would have those kinds of bits or screwdrivers in stock, somewhere that I'd be able to source them before Wednesday?

Or, is there anybody here that'd be willing to let me borrow some of their JIS bits if they have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭dav09

Just seen this here, if you don't have the tools sorted let me know I'll try figure something out on my end, will either include a spare if I have one or try loosen them a bit to hand screw them off, I presume most hardware store will have one in a multi-head kit, but happy to I help didn't realize this. I will head down to the lockup tomorrow to have a look again if you don't get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

dav09 wrote: »
    Just seen this here, if you don't have the tools sorted let me know I'll try figure something out on my end, will either include a spare if I have one or try loosen them a bit to hand screw them off, I presume most hardware store will have one in a multi-head kit, but happy to I help didn't realize this. I will head down to the lockup tomorrow to have a look again if you don't get sorted

Ahh sure look, tis yerself!

We are a small community on this island, aren't we?

Yeah mate that would be very much appreciated. I've been ringing around the hardware stores within my 5km and nobody has even heard of the bits I'm on about.

A friend of mine that also works in a hardware store reckons he could shave down a Philips head for it to be usable so... we'll see.

I've actually ordered a screwdriver that should do the job but according to Amazon it won't get here until Thursday. :-/

They look almost exactly like regular Philips head screws so it's understandable that both of us didn't realise tbh.

I am determined to get this sorted though. I will take this machine apart and drag it up two flights of stairs *if it fecking kills me*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MrVestek wrote: »
    Ahh sure look, tis yerself!

We are a small community on this island, aren't we?

Yeah mate that would be very much appreciated. I've been ringing around the hardware stores within my 5km and nobody has even heard of the bits I'm on about.

A friend of mine that also works in a hardware store reckons he could shave down a Philips head for it to be usable so... we'll see.

I've actually ordered a screwdriver that should do the job but according to Amazon it won't get here until Thursday. :-/

They look almost exactly like regular Philips head screws so it's understandable that both of us didn't realise tbh.

I am determined to get this sorted though. I will take this machine apart and drag it up two flights of stairs *if it fecking kills me*
    I never knew JIS existed until now

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I never knew JIS existed until now

That's really interesting, I've never heard of JIZZ (!) screws till now too.

Definitely have a few thinner looking screwdriver heads in my security screw bit set, must have a look and see if I've been incorrectly using them as phillips!

Advertisement