Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Addle wrote: »
    Do our faces get hairier the older we get, or is it just mine?
    My hair isn’t dark, but I’ve a couple of moles on my face with hairs growing out of them that really irk me.
    But definitely my whole face is fuzzier/hairier than it used to be.

Im nearly certain it does due to hormone changes but not educated enough to say when it starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I pluck the odd hair, but I think I’m going beyond that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

I have an appointment coming up for a colposcopy clinic, I'm a bit nervous about it to say the least, can anyone please advise what they generally do at these appointments and if it hurts much? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Morby wrote: »
    I have an appointment coming up for a colposcopy clinic, I'm a bit nervous about it to say the least, can anyone please advise what they generally do at these appointments and if it hurts much? Thanks.

Hiya, had mine done recently.
    They basically swab some dyes on the cervix to see how they interact with the cells. This is to show up any abnormal changes and If the nurse deems them significant enough they will take a biopsy and send them away for testing.
    The dye part didnt hurt too much(for me) just felt like it was a prolonged smear...but i had to have the biopsy part also and that was just a couple of short sharp pains nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

That's great, thank you for the honest feedback Sammyjo, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Has anyone gotten an IUD fitted? I got Kyleena fitted yesterday.

Just wondering if anyone got cramps afterwards and how long they lasted?

I forgot to ask the doctor about how long they should last. Seem to be on off right now and feel like bad period cramps. I havent had a period cramp in years (usually back ache for me) so i am not used to them at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’ve had two, both Mirena. Most recent one, the cramps lasted for about 24 hours, give or take. They were quite bad on the day of insertion, then much less the next day. It’s different for everyone, but I’d say they’ll be settled down within 3 days. If not, maybe follow up with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Faith wrote: »
    I’ve had two, both Mirena. Most recent one, the cramps lasted for about 24 hours, give or take. They were quite bad on the day of insertion, then much less the next day. It’s different for everyone, but I’d say they’ll be settled down within 3 days. If not, maybe follow up with your doctor.

Thanks Faith. It's not unbearable or debilitating but a bit of a nuisance.

If they dont settle I'll definitely be contacting the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mekirin

I had the kyleena fitted in February, the worst of the cramps were the day it was inserted. I had cramps for a day or so after, but they were much milder thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Found a breast lump 2.5 weeks ago and had my appointment in Beaumont yesterday. Thankfully just a large cyst, which was drained. I knew I had some small ones on the other side but this one was much bigger and a different shape with a ridge which terrified me. So relieved. Very tender and bruised today but beats what it could have been.

Was very impressed, I was seen within minutes of arriving (and before my appointment time). Was there 3 hours all in all - junior doctor, consultant, mammogram, tomogram, ultrasound, draining, junior doctor. I was lucky to get a slot in breast imaging, they only had 5 available for the day. It would have prolonged the fear being sent away to come back for those. By 9am those slots had all been filled, I was lucky my appointment was earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Caranica wrote: »
    Found a breast lump 2.5 weeks ago and had my appointment in Beaumont yesterday. Thankfully just a large cyst, which was drained. I knew I had some small ones on the other side but this one was much bigger and a different shape with a ridge which terrified me. So relieved. Very tender and bruised today but beats what it could have been.

Was very impressed, I was seen within minutes of arriving (and before my appointment time). Was there 3 hours all in all - junior doctor, consultant, mammogram, tomogram, ultrasound, draining, junior doctor. I was lucky to get a slot in breast imaging, they only had 5 available for the day. It would have prolonged the fear being sent away to come back for those. By 9am those slots had all been filled, I was lucky my appointment was earlier.
    Hi there, just wonder were they able to tell you straight out when they did mammogram/ultrasound that it was a cyst? Did they have to biopsy it first or anything?

weetiepie wrote: »
    Hi there, just wonder were they able to tell you straight out when they did mammogram/ultrasound that it was a cyst? Did they have to biopsy it first or anything?

The mammogram and tomogram gave an indication and the ultrasound confirmed. Almost two weeks on I still have strange bruising after the drainage but no lumps and no worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

The mammogram and tomogram gave an indication and the ultrasound confirmed. Almost two weeks on I still have strange bruising after the drainage but no lumps and no worries!

Ah that is great news you have no worries, I hope you heal well, and soon.
    I'm waiting on results. 4 biopsies taken on a lump, went to gp on Monday, he referred me to clinic, got phone call wed morn that there was a cancellation for Thursday morn. So mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies. No indication of what it might be, only consultant saying he wasn't overly worried.
    I was just wondering do they know if it's a cyst or fibroids from mammograms and ultrasound..

Can anyone who's had breast cysts drained let me know how long the bruising lasted. I'm 2.5 weeks on and still with significant bruising. A friend who had it done said hers only lasted a few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can anyone who's had breast cysts drained let me know how long the bruising lasted. I'm 2.5 weeks on and still with significant bruising. A friend who had it done said hers only lasted a few days.

Never had it done but I'd imagine like anything with our bodies there is no normal, I bruise easily myself so I'd imagine if it was me it would take a few weeks to clear up.

Thanks. My bruises don't tend to last long which is why I'm perplexed, over 3 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sweet Jesus Christ I've just had the most traumatic morning. I've had a Mirena coil in the past three years, I thought it was coming out yesterday because the strings were coming out ... Went to the GP this morning and she had to have a literal tug-of-war to get it out, apparently it was embedded in my cervix and probably completely ineffective the whole time!!! She'd never seen anything like it before! Sooooo uncomfortable!

Thank god I'm single. If I ever need contraception again, I think I'll stick with the pill. It just freaks me out that I could so easily have had an unplanned pregnancy, thinking I was grand coz the coil was in there! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

That sounds horrendous. You poor thing. Think I would have done a runner half way through, pants around my ankles, screaming like a banshee.
    Take it easy Foweva, until you recover that trauma.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This reminds me of a friend who became pregnant while she had the mirena coil inserted...it slipped out of place :/ She had her first (early) pregnancy scan with it still in there but naturally enough they removed it soon after :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

jordata wrote: »
    That sounds horrendous. You poor thing. Think I would have done a runner half way through, pants around my ankles, screaming like a banshee.
    Take it easy Foweva, until you recover that trauma.

Thats some description!!

I've the copper coil in about 2 years now, no problems so far - that in know of. Posts like the one above this scare the crap out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My GP has recommended the coil a few times but it’s things like the above stories that have put me off. I’m sure it works brilliantly for many people but I don’t want to chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm on my second surprise pregnancy and my first baby is only nine months old! We are definitely done after this one, I'm so sick of being pregnant. I was planning to get the coil in six weeks after the birth but now also terrified that it won't work. I can't take the pill at all it just makes me a hormonal wreck. I told the GP last time and he put me on microlite which was meant to be new generation and with very little side effects, and I was like a monster on it. :( Are there any other options aside from pill or coil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm on my second surprise pregnancy and my first baby is only nine months old! We are definitely done after this one, I'm so sick of being pregnant. I was planning to get the coil in six weeks after the birth but now also terrified that it won't work. I can't take the pill at all it just makes me a hormonal wreck. I told the GP last time and he put me on microlite which was meant to be new generation and with very little side effects, and I was like a monster on it. :( Are there any other options aside from pill or coil?

Himself could get the snip. Then ye can have lots of sex anytime anywhere anyhow with no extra accessories required and no possibility of babas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Himself could get the snip. Then ye can have lots of sex anytime anywhere anyhow with no extra accessories required and no possibility of babas.

I mentioned it to him. He's worried about getting "clogged up" FFS :D I'll wait until he's knee deep in nappies and sleep deprived with two babies hanging out of him then I'll mention it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Antares35 wrote: »
    I mentioned it to him. He's worried about getting "clogged up" FFS :D I'll wait until he's knee deep in nappies and sleep deprived with two babies hanging out of him then I'll mention it again.

Hahha :D It makes them hornier if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Had the mirena inserted today. What's normal pain and bleeding wise? Like getting it done wasn't supper painful but when I stood up the cramps began. I literally felt like I was gonna puke driving home and was sweating. I bled a good bit getting it done and it's still quite fresh. Took two solpadeine when I got home and it did ease but it's starting to ramp up again.

It's like contraction but like constant not in waves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not sure there's a 'normal', really. After my first insertion, I felt hot, faint and nauseas. It took a while to settle down, and the cramping lasted a day or two. After the second insertion, I definitely felt hot and sweaty, but I was better prepared for it that time. The cramping lasted probably 2-3 days after the second one, I think. I think my cramps were also more like constant discomfort with some ebbs and flows.

I got mine inserted when I was on my period so it was a messy enough ol' job. I don't think I bled as in by injury, but I think I had a good few days of spotting and light bleeding.

I'm a big fan of painkillers so I was dosing myself liberally until I felt better. I'd say bear with it for a day or two, but obviously if you spike a fever or are feeling really unwell, seek medical advice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I had mine inserted under anaesthesia because I was getting a procedure at the same time, so I’m not sure whether the pain afterwards was the Mirena or the procedure. I think it lasted a few days but I had spotting for nearly a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 im stuck! cnt tink of gud name

I wouldn't mind getting properly measured but would be very self conscious about the nakedness.... I read somewhere that they say it's ok to leave your bra on... does anyone know if this is true? Because I'd feel better about going to do it then

Usually when I go, the girl asks what size I wear and just measures my rib cage , after that she brings a couple of bras in different cup sizes and I try each on for her so I'm never actually naked in front of her and that works fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was going to get the copper coil now I'm put off :pac:

Advertisement