Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Welcome back Internet Friend!

I saw that but when I logged onto the PS4 there was no patch so might be later on consoles.

A very welcome change,kill 100 ships for 8 million credits was way off,they could nearly do with tripling some of them. I see they omitted wing combat missions from the buff....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mairon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Welcome back Internet Friend!

I saw that but when I logged onto the PS4 there was no patch so might be later on consoles.

A very welcome change,kill 100 ships for 8 million credits was way off,they could nearly do with tripling some of them. I see they omitted wing combat missions from the buff....

Thanks, I'd been lurking for a while.

My understanding is that this is the first of many balances they have planned for combat payouts so maybe that one is in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wing Missions do not need a buff when you can easily clear a billion in a week as it is now.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wing Missions do not need a buff when you can easily clear a billion in a week as it is now.

I can see how a full wing with engineered ships could manage that alright. Not everyone has access to that though. Wasnt really saying they need a boost,was more just there the only thing frontier have said will stay the same.

Logged in for an hour last night,did 4 deliveries of 180t and made 60mil with zero effort,every time they change the variables server side the boards go crazy for a day or two:D

Always worth logging in when they do it

I can see how a full wing with engineered ships could manage that alright. Not everyone has access to that though. Wasnt really saying they need a boost,was more just there the only thing frontier have said will stay the same.

Logged in for an hour last night,did 4 deliveries of 180t and made 60mil with zero effort,every time they change the variables server side the boards go crazy for a day or two:D

Always worth logging in when they do it

3 noobs could do this and over xmas when i have time if you want you can help me prove it by doing it in unengineered weako ships :D

You need to find a system in civil war or other war (Not Imp vs Fed) and have multiple empire or fed factions.
    There will be pirate factions, the imps and feds will offer missions to massacre them.
    Getting bestos with the factions will take one night, the 2nd night you will easily clear 250m between, by all picking 1 wing mission each from the imp or fed faction to kill the pirate guys. Takes less than an hour to kill 70 ships with 3 ships.
    3 ships with 4 missions each at a time, most we got in one night was 870m each. After your done and the war ends because the other team literally doesant exist, you move on and "liberate" another system.

Bonus 1: Materials!
    Bonus 2: Imp or fed system grants rank for ships.

• Advertisement

I have a few others who are interestred in trying this, anyone need credits?

Make a billion in one week in an unengineered ship (Corvette/Cutter excluded)

Will start Monday about 7pm, couple of hours each night and a cool billion in a week from simply fighting in a wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I have a few others who are interestred in trying this, anyone need credits?

Make a billion in one week in an unengineered ship (Corvette/Cutter excluded)

Will start Monday about 7pm, couple of hours each night and a cool billion in a week from simply fighting in a wing.

Do you have to join with a completely unengineered ship?

Do you have to join with a completely unengineered ship?

Nope only I have to get the billion.

Odyssey trailer tonight at gameshow awards.

Normal edition €35
    Special Edition €46 gets you into the Alpha and a shiny sui

Really good choice of song:)

Be finished college next Friday so plan to get back to playing a bit more. Squeeze in a bit between Cyberpunk sessions.

• Advertisement

Not touching Cyberpunk until the 3080 lands :pac:

Wouldnt blame ye.

I got it on PS4 Pro because of multiplayer down the road,want to play with mates.

If I ever manage to get a PS5 it will be played on that.

Its very rough on the Pro. I dont really mind the graphics being less than optimal but the framerate lurching to low 20s is hard to stomach!

The actual gameplay I've enjoyed so far though. Hopefully they can get it into a better place.

Any word on a launch windows for odyssey yet?

Any word on a launch windows for odyssey yet?

If you buy the alpha its for end of Jan with game coming out April.

I have the alpha.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So I got this free in epic launcher recently.
    I have a good hotas controller I use with flight Sims.
    Is it worth installing , just how good is it ?

Its the best modern space sim out there imo.

Its the best modern space sim out there imo.

x2

The combat is simply amazing.

11/10 for sound design too

Also this is the hardest game you will ever play, space is hard.

Fly safe commander o7

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

Hello commanders!

I've played a bit of ED on PS4 and loved it. I finally took the plunge and got it for pc. Have a quest 2 and have set the game up for VR using virtual desktop.

I'm a complete noob to the VR experience but I can tell it's going to be amazing. I have some questions for ye experienced commanders though!

How do ye play with/without keyboard?

I'm using a hotas but still learning all the button combos to activate various systems and menus. This is proving quite awkward and I miss my ps4 controller. Is the hotas worth persisting with? Are the oculus controllers any use for elite?

What's the best VR setup for a beginner in yer opinion?

Any tips to help me make the most of the experience?

Thanks commanders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

So can you make decent money from combat, last I played, hauling was decent with rares.... Which got old quick.
    Is there a new updated guide of what to do these days, I've found the last time I reinstalled I was just aimlessly going around until I had my fill.

Any tips to help me make the most of the experience?

Thanks commanders!

Go back one page and get the app I posted, use a tablet for your controls. It looks cool too.

Laviski wrote: »
    So can you make decent money from combat, last I played, hauling was decent with rares.... Which got old quick.
    Is there a new updated guide of what to do these days, I've found the last time I reinstalled I was just aimlessly going around until I had my fill.

Can get 70m for one wing massacre mission, you need to be ranked with the faction giving it and be in a wing of combat ships. 4 ppl getting 1 mission each and sharing the payout = 280m for about 90 minutes combat time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So Elite Dangerous will accomplish what Star Citizen failed to do with this expansion pack.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Saw the trailer a few days ago and it looks great. Prompted me to reinstall and look around. I still have my 1 billion anyway and my engineered Corvette and Conda :)

Still not sure what to do though. I did a 4000 unit cargo run in the Conda over a few hours and made 15 mil from that but open to suggestions. It's been nearly 2 years I'd say since I last played.

What's this Arx stuff? In-game cosmetics using purchasable currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

So where does everyone hang out in Elite? I logged in and I was parked in a crater in the middle of nowhere. If anyone wants some company for some PVE, I can head your way!

If on PC join private group kdjac have it set to auto allow people in. Believe the other guys are in Pachanwen so if you see human players there add them to your wing for free money.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Saw the trailer a few days ago and it looks great. Prompted me to reinstall and look around. I still have my 1 billion anyway and my engineered Corvette and Conda :)

Still not sure what to do though. I did a 4000 unit cargo run in the Conda over a few hours and made 15 mil from that but open to suggestions. It's been nearly 2 years I'd say since I last played.

What's this Arx stuff? In-game cosmetics using purchasable currency?

Kill aliens.

Arx gets you skins via in game activities, you can still buy skins with real money tho.

New Dev Diary

Alpha 29th March

AI looks seriously stupid and the players seem to be drama actors.

Cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is this an update or a completely new game?

Its an expansion of the current game. So DLC really.

Movement and guns look a bit janky but we're awile away from a full release so have to just see.

• Advertisement

€34 on Steam

Think most people expecting a janky 1st person game but set in the ED universe.

This is whats in the version played above.

You cannot provide close air support in a Federal Corvette with explovise MCs! Seemingly its too OP for any ship to provide air support. 100% this will be somehow bypassed in the alpha after about 5 minutes.

Fighters and SRVs are the only vehicles to have combat on planet bases.

Settlement Variation:

27 unique settlements

6 different themes: Agriculture, Industrial, Extraction, Tourism, Research, Military

Latter have unique building types, that can facilitate unique mission types.

More generic missions work across all types.

BGS factors like minor faction ownership.

NPC responses:

Guards or civilians are the two main types.

Settlement doesn't have a 'hive mind'. If you're detected doing something illicit, the message has to be radioed out to the wider settlement. There's a window of lower, local response.

Pointing weapon at them prompts warning at first

Will ask you to stop for a scan if they see something suspicious, and don't like it if you flee. The scan will pick up on existing criminality. (Scanner works same for us).

Civilians etc will tell you to 'get out' in prohibited areas as a warning. Rather than 'instant fail state'

Building Gating:

Gating to some of the buildings.

The arc cutter is one way in.

The number on the door (3) was the required authority level to access.

Could clone authorisation by scanning an NPC that has it.

The AI don't like you doing it, so you have to be sneaky. (NB if you're scanned with a cloned ID, they'll spot that).

Expensive authority override consumable buyable. (NPCs don't like even seeing it in action - it's illegal)

Disabling Defences:

Pulling the power core takes all defences offline.

You can target alarms, defences etc specifically, at certain consoles.

If you gauge patrol routes etc, or use stealthy suit and weapon mods like silencers etc, you can get to those consoles.

Some other mission types:

Sabotage is a mission type. Messing up a mining production line etc.

Some missions have 'don't get caught' or 'no killing' requirements.

Trying to give missions direct from NPC mission givers more 'flavour'.

Reboot and restore missions: (see prior notes)

Player death:

If you're on foot and don't have a ship, you respawn at nearest port.

If you have a ship you get the choice of port or ship. If your ship is parked up on planet surface you'll get pushed to space for the respawn. If it's at a station you'll spawn in it there.

Anything in your backpack is lost on death. IE loot etc.

Suit management & Survival

Different things pull on suit's power.

Life support for air.

Shield (pretty power hungry when turned on, although depends on suit).

Some tools use suit power.

Survival starts to become a thing you consider. Rarely in settlements, because you can breath + recharge in buildings.

Extreme temperatures use up energy as suit battles them.

Can take physical damage almost immediately in some extreme environments. Some planets ruled off limits. It's possible to disembark in area that's 'acceptable', but quickly find yourself in extreme environment due to planetary rotation etc.

Miscellaneous:

TTK: Very variable. Quality of gear / quality of NPC opponents etc.

Physical multicrew helps co-ordinate missions like this / be in the same place

Premise for combat = same as ships (see prior notes)

Auto-land on surface possible now (confirmed)

Front Line Solutions: Arthur likes it, but doesn't say anything about what it involves.

Gareth wants alpha feeback on: The economy, bounty values, trespass fines etc. Things that feel right to them in test environment but may feel different when live.

Bruce says star reflections on helmet glass, panting as run, builds up to decent effect.

That planet was half a G, which they only realised when a grenade went further than expected. Said it affected jumping etc too.

You can go into any of those buildings, peak through windows, see what the NPCs are up to. All one instance.

Keen to stress this is just one locale version, of one aspect of EDO, and in total it adds up to a lot more.

Advertisement