Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarked Car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

What problem do you have with telling them where you are going ?

Because I value my privacy and to be left to enjoy it unless they have reasonable suspicion to believe that I have committed a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Piollaire wrote: »
    Because I value my privacy and to be left to enjoy it unless they have reasonable suspicion to believe that I have committed a crime.

We have a generalised stay at home order for heath reasons unless for essential reasons, without Garda visibility do you think people would follow these rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Speaking of Gardai showing ID.

what should it look like?

How do you spot a fake one?

Why is there no awareness campaign to let you know what it should look like?

Now don't get me wrong, the OP needs to get over it, they are only doing their jobs.

But this raises a genuine concern that needs to be alleviated.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

We have a generalised stay at home order for heath reasons unless for essential reasons, without Garda visibility do you think people would follow these rules?

Agreed, but that's if you believe that the OP's situation had anything to do with enforcing health regulations. An unmarked drugs squad vehicle pulls over at a bus stop and demands an individual to identify themselves. Is this the Gardaí's new policy on checking 5km compliance? Highly irregular.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Agreed, but that's if you believe that the OP's situation had anything to do with enforcing health regulations. An unmarked drugs squad vehicle pulls over at a bus stop and demands an individual to identify themselves. Is this the Gardaí's new policy on checking 5km compliance? Highly irregular.

For one I highly doubt that the Garda station will confirm an unmarked car as being part of the drug squad, kind of defeats the purpose of the unmarked car if all of the world will then know that a 171Dxxxx is a drug squad car!!!

Secondly yes they are allowed ask where are you going you don't have to go through a check point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭rhc2s4lj5p0xu9

If a randomer shouts out a car at you would you give them your real name? Again I didn’t know who this was until walked over closer and they did not identify themselves properly. All I said was John which is my middle name. I don’t find it acceptable and they probably missed some actual criminals by prioritising being arseholes to me.
    why give them any name.if they are cops let them get out and have some manners. Do you have to give name and tell where you're going under covid law? you do not have to give name pre covid unless they have some genuine reason to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They are entitled to do just that. They’re drugs squad. A Garda wouldn’t be much good if he wasn’t allowed ask someone his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I wouldn't think it's a large assumption to make that someone clearly waiting at a bus stop on plain view of anyone driving past , would have a valid reason for doing so at present.

They are entitled to do just that. They’re drugs squad. A Garda wouldn’t be much good if he wasn’t allowed ask someone his name.

Uh, worth brushing up on citizens advice etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

codrulz wrote: »
    Uh, worth brushing up on citizens advice etc...

So they can't ask your name? A guard can ask whatever they want. You aren't obliged to tell them all the time. There is quite a difference

• Advertisement

So they can't ask your name? A guard can ask whatever they want. You aren't obliged to tell them all the time. There is quite a difference

That doesn't seem like the tone the poster was going for.

"They are entitled to do just that. They’re drugs squad. A Garda wouldn’t be much good if he wasn’t allowed ask someone his name."

For one I highly doubt that the Garda station will confirm an unmarked car as being part of the drug squad, kind of defeats the purpose of the unmarked car if all of the world will then know that a 171Dxxxx is a drug squad car!!!

Secondly yes they are allowed ask where are you going you don't have to go through a check point.

Of course they'll tell you. Sure they encourage the public to ring in if they're unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

If this is what some members of the gardai are reduced to they'd want to get a life, unless they thought he looked like someone of interest no way they should be wasting their time asking normal joes why they're standing around waiting for a bus

Advertisement