Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreambox DM920

• 24-01-2021 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello, my first time to use the forum.
    I want to install a satellite and terrestrial set up with the best quality signal i can get for HD and perhaps 4k in the future. I will be watching on a large screen with a 4k projector so the higher quality the better. im reasonably technical but not so on satellite.
    What I would like is any comments to stop me going down a wrong path please.
    My plan is for a dreambox dm920 plus 65 cm fiberglass cahors dish ( im near the sea) a 15 m run of coax, a high gain UHF aerial, quad inverto LNB. any suggestions for better items ?? I only intend to watch freeview UK channels.
    My next question is as to where one might source the dreambox as the UK is now out of bounds due to vat and duty I reckon.
    thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

Thank you Stanley 1.
    will go there, i wonder if you know whether there is any particular variant of the box i need for Ireland ? im looking at one with two DVB-S2 tuners and Two dvb-T2 tuners. I assume that will allow me watch one channel and record another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thank you Stanley 1.
    will go there, i wonder if you know whether there is any particular variant of the box i need for Ireland ? im looking at one with two DVB-S2 tuners and Two dvb-T2 tuners. I assume that will allow me watch one channel and record another ?

Can you link to that device please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Zgemma H7S is good value. Unless you happen to watch a lot of RTE1 and 2 at the same time, you would rarely need 2 terrestrial tuners.
    More info here

Can you link to that device please?

100quid more for an extra DVB-T ouch:eek:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

Dreambox 920 one comes with a TB HDD and the extra tuner. Id be worried about images etc.

Wills why are you opting for a dreambox?

I came up with the dreambox because of reading reviews etc. . I thought because of its processing speed etc it would be one to go for, but honestly im open to all ideas.
    My first requirement is the best quality image, not particularly bothered if I can record another channel at the same time really.
    Easy to navigate would be another important requirement .
    And reliable piece of kit is important.

Thats the one. I have one myself and very happy with it The UK company I linked to will flash your preferred image for you before sending it.
    This link to another Boards discussion went missing somehow.

• Advertisement

Are there two DVB-T tuners in that or does the 'dual' refer to
    DVB-C
    DVB-T/2
    capability of a single tuner?

Maybe it is just me, but I find a lot of the box descriptions less than clear on this.

Are there two DVB-T tuners in that or does the 'dual' refer to
    DVB-C
    DVB-T/2
    capability of a single tuner?

Maybe it is just me, but I find a lot of the box descriptions less than clear on this.
    Difficult to follow but it seems to be 2 slots for dual DVB-S and DVB-T tuners. So a max of four, if I read it right.

Thats how I read it a total of 4, im glad its not just me that finds them hard to understand sometimes.

Maybe I should just keep it simple and get one of each tuner as in reality I probably will never be watching and recording at the same time.

So that leaves the question, Would the dreambox produce a superior picture over the zgemma ??? if not no point in me spending extra cash unless it has advantages like easier to use ??

willie

Doing a bit more reading here Gerry Wicklow, I see you mentioned the The Vu+ Solo4k as a preferred unit. Ill have a look at that.
    Is that still your top rec ???

The Vu+ is serious money by comparison

I dont mind spending the money if its worth it.
    any links worth reading ?

In terms like picture quality you're going into the realms of personal preference or even a placebo effect. Paying 2x or 3x the price of the Zgemma is like buying a Rolls Royce to go to Tesco. A Ford will do the same job.
    Ease of use depends on what software image you have installed. AFAIK most of us are using the openVIX image on the Zgemma.

Difficult to follow but it seems to be 2 slots for dual DVB-S and DVB-T tuners. So a max of four, if I read it right.

I could not tell if the second DVB-T connection on the rear was a loop-through from the first or a separate input for a second tuner.

Maybe someone with better eyesight can tell. :)

probably loop through. Dual DVB-T only needs 1 aerial input

Thanks for that, reckon ill go with the zgemma.

any issues with the dish or lnb i suggested ? cahors and inverto quad ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, reckon ill go with the zgemma.

any issues with the dish or lnb i suggested ? cahors and inverto quad ?

Cant speak for the dish but Inverto are a respected brand of LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've been using another Enigma 2 box for nearly 3 years now. When I upgrade to a 4K TV there's a good chance I'll go for the ZGemma too.

A single DVB T (Saorview) tuner should be enough. It's just a matter of running a fly cable from the box to the TV, and use the TV tuner to watch something if you're recording Saorview on the box.

Advertisement