Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 22:21   #16
Ursus Horribilis
Registered User
 
Ursus Horribilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Not Martimus
Posts: 4,312
Sounds like they're suiting themselves. Looking up an eircode isn't rocket science if you have a smartphone.
Ursus Horribilis is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 22:25   #17
4ensic15
Registered User
 
4ensic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,619
A postman doing his round wants all the letters in address order as he meets them. He does not want to get a bag of mail, then get out a smartphone and look up every address and then sort the mail into order and bring it around. He would have to write the addresses on the envelope unless he wants to look them up again when he arrives at the first house.
Many householders do not display the number of their property outside. It is often impossible to know which house is which. There might be a number on one house and none on several adjacent. It happens all over many urban areas.
4ensic15 is online now  
06-11-2018, 22:26   #18
eddhorse
Registered User
 
eddhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The Pale
Posts: 4,620
Send a message via ICQ to eddhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
It was decided not to use a logical system for privacy reasons.
This is the funniest thing about it all.
You can find anyone's eircode or address from eircode website or Google maps.

Loc8 also had a brilliant system done before Eircode came along, there was money to be spent so they did it badly.
Plus the closure of post offices will lead to An Post never giving their staff devices to use in the field.
eddhorse is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:26   #19
EdgeCase
Registered User
 
EdgeCase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,321
I've had mail out though my door that wasn't even for the right county!!
EdgeCase is offline  
06-11-2018, 22:26   #20
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 39,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.
This falls to pieces when the owner of D07 R533 decides to replace his detached house with 4 townhouses, and D07 R534 replaces hers with 12 apartments. These now end up out of sequence.

Any system that works sequentially collapses in to incoherence after a few years and you need to glue it back together with a database very like what Eircode has anyway, except assumptions keep being made that are plainly wrong.

Loc8 was not a "brilliant system", it was a concatenated coordinate which means it could not be used for any proper delivery planning purposes.
L1011 is online now  
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 22:28   #21
wench
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.
That's lovely and neat until someone adds an infill house, or demolishes a house to replace it with an apartment block.

Then what happens to your sequential numbers?
wench is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:31   #22
daithi7
Registered User
 
daithi7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ensic15 View Post
It was decided not to use a logical system for privacy reasons.
Which is a really lame excuse, since you're normally putting your full a address alongside your post code so you've effectively given away all privacy in relation to your address already.... Lame excuse for a lame system that is proving unloved by the general public.
daithi7 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:32   #23
4ensic15
Registered User
 
4ensic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi7 View Post
Which is a really lame excuse, since you're normally putting your full a address alongside your post code so you've effectively given away all privacy in relation to your address already.... Lame excuse for a lame system that is proving unloved by the general public.
It was to prevent marketing by not allowing companies to send junk mail to every house by simply writing to all codes in a given location.
4ensic15 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:36   #24
EdgeCase
Registered User
 
EdgeCase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,321
Most post codes tell you very little anyway. They all need the top line of the address.

A lot of continental systems and the standard US ZIP are really just a numerical version of the nearest town / or location of a sorting office (many of which no longer exist) that was designed to automate or semi automate sorting in the 1950 and 60s.

The UK system is more accurate in London and the bigger cities but it's got very poor granularity somewhere like Northern Ireland or rural Scotland. The entirety of NI is limited to BTX XXX

Overall Eircode works and should eventually be able to be used as

1 Main Street (for the postman)
X99 1A2B (for the sorting automation)
EdgeCase is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 22:44   #25
mdebets
Registered User
 
mdebets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
This falls to pieces when the owner of D07 R533 decides to replace his detached house with 4 townhouses, and D07 R534 replaces hers with 12 apartments. These now end up out of sequence.

Any system that works sequentially collapses in to incoherence after a few years and you need to glue it back together with a database very like what Eircode has anyway, except assumptions keep being made that are plainly wrong.

Loc8 was not a "brilliant system", it was a concatenated coordinate which means it could not be used for any proper delivery planning purposes.
The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.
mdebets is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 22:50   #26
wench
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.
So now you want all users to have knowledge of which buildings existed at time of original eircode generation, and which have been added since.
wench is offline  
06-11-2018, 22:54   #27
gctest50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.

That'd be as retarded as a loc8 code

If you are up around Athlone, KV56 is the sewerage plant

Much better than N37KV560001 being the shop next door like.

For everything else, there is What3words :


gctest50 is offline  
06-11-2018, 23:09   #28
gctest50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,954
For example : sobbed.survivor.cobble

will bring you to something floating in the River Shannon


https://w3w.co/sobbed.survivor.cobble
gctest50 is offline  
06-11-2018, 23:14   #29
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 39,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
The future proofing (and keeping it sequential) of the system would have been very easy. You could have added 3 or for additional digits at the end. 000 at the start, then change this if an existing Eircode is subdivided for new houses or apartents. In addition, the system could have been done so that one Eircode per house is used, so not every apartment has its own Eircode, but just the whole building.
And now you've a ten digit code and/or one that can't be used to identify individual apartments.

Both useless.
L1011 is online now  
06-11-2018, 23:39   #30
Mrs OBumble
Registered User
 
Mrs OBumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Galway
Posts: 17,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
It was a government led program. An Post said from the start that their systems didn’t recognise it.
A postcode system that aids delivery is not in the interests of a monopoly or near-monopoly postal operator. An Post are not unique in their approach.
Mrs OBumble is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet