Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 10:09   #16
Foweva Awone
Registered User
 
Foweva Awone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 482
Any chance the property is overpriced, or are you looking for an excessive deposit? Both cases could result in only HAP tenants applying, as the rent/deposit isn't coming out of their own pocket.
Foweva Awone is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 10:20   #17
power pants
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Did you read the article? Every time the govt takes measures v homelessness.?

The discrimination against HAP tenants?

So people that work and contribute to society face even greater challenges in securing a place to rent with this new initiative?

This country is all about the lazy and the super rich

The average worker is completely ****ed over
power pants is offline  
(3) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 10:56   #18
alias no.9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by power pants View Post
So people that work and contribute to society face even greater challenges in securing a place to rent with this new initiative?

This country is all about the lazy and the super rich

The average worker is completely ****ed over
My recent experience in vetting tennants was that most respondents who said that they were on HAP were also working. It was an eye-opener for me.

It seems to be a significant step forward over RA where taking up employment would have meant losing RA in many cases. It still doesn't address the root of the problem which is a lack of supply but takes away one of the unfortunate side effects.
alias no.9 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 11:03   #19
$hifty
Registered User
 
$hifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in da jungle...in da in da jungle
Posts: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydactyl View Post
First rental of apt in Dublin. Newly done up, new appliances, market rent. Hired letting agency as too busy to do it myself. Just got an email to say only HAP clients interested. Now I will look at those clients obv when I get the references but am I right to be a bit wary after the recent announcement about agencies getting 500 bonus for HAP clients???? It’s in a very sought after area.

Don't ever get an agency to find you new tenants. It takes a day, 2 max, to hold an open viewing and whittle down tenants. You get a much better feel for people when you speak to them and see the type of questions they ask. Plus, most agencies charge a full month's rent for the privilege.
$hifty is offline  
06-11-2018, 11:09   #20
Thibus
Registered User
 
Thibus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 116
Hi Op,
Drop the agency, sounds like they are screening for HAP on the back of the e500 "incentive".
I have been a tenant in the past and am currently a landlord and in my experience with letting agencies is that they take anybody without proper checks and are less than helpful once a tenant is in place, especially when it comes to tenant having problems.
You would do a better job of screening a tenant yourself, always trust your gut.
With regards to HAP, I haven't dealt with anyone on it yet, bit apparently there is a lot of work involved in getting the apartment approved to the HAP requirements.
Thibus is offline  
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 11:13   #21
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs
 
Tar.Aldarion's Avatar
That scheme is pretty good even though it's just paying off estate agents/ I know people who can't find anywhere to live because even when they are offered a place it gets withdrawn because they are on HAP. Illegal but nothing they can do about it. They are much more vulnerable right now that people with means.

Btw OP my best friend is on HAP, is an amazing tenant and would be interested in the place I'd say She just can't find somewhere to live.
Tar.Aldarion is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 11:15   #22
AlanG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,043
If your asking rent is particularly high then it is likely that only HAP people will be able to afford it. Most outside of HAP cannot come close to funding the rents many properties are seeking. Homeless HAP in particular will pay rents that no one on the average wage could fund. Plenty of hard working good tenants are on HAP so you should consider them.
AlanG is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 11:19   #23
Thestones
Registered User
 
Thestones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 215
The €500 incentive is ridiculous. How can an agency be trusted to pick best tenants when there is a financial benefit to picking one with HAP. All the government have done is home more HAP people which in turn means those without HAP paying by themselves might struggle to get a place, end result is same, they haven't provided any additional homes, so same amount of people will have nowhere to live. I actually think this will backfire massively, landlords are wary enough these days and if agents can't be trusted to act independently then I'd imagine there will be a reduction in landlords using their service.
Thestones is offline  
06-11-2018, 11:44   #24
STB.
Registered User
 
STB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wexico
Posts: 3,233
@OP...... Lets be clever.

Get one of your friends to express an interest.

See if they report it back to you.

When they don't, go to town on them.

You'd swear Estate Agents actually owned properties. The truth is they have nothing to sell or rent. They are glorified sales agents and should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

I was wondering how soon these scenarios would arise. It didn't take long.
STB. is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 14:54   #25
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In God's pocket
Posts: 17,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
That scheme is pretty good even though it's just paying off estate agents/ I know people who can't find anywhere to live because even when they are offered a place it gets withdrawn because they are on HAP. Illegal but nothing they can do about it. They are much more vulnerable right now that people with means.

Btw OP my best friend is on HAP, is an amazing tenant and would be interested in the place I'd say She just can't find somewhere to live.
Thanks. Your post says it all..I was discriminated against as some here are advocating. Calling folk on HAP lazy? Pensioners and disabled need a home.

Yes,more houses are needed but that takes time. Helping HAPfolk not be turned away with winter ahead is very needful.

I narrowly avoided being homeless this time last year..been an excellent tenant manyyears
Graces7 is offline  
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 14:56   #26
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In God's pocket
Posts: 17,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestones View Post
The €500 incentive is ridiculous. How can an agency be trusted to pick best tenants when there is a financial benefit to picking one with HAP. All the government have done is home more HAP people which in turn means those without HAP paying by themselves might struggle to get a place, end result is same, they haven't provided any additional homes, so same amount of people will have nowhere to live. I actually think this will backfire massively, landlords are wary enough these days and if agents can't be trusted to act independently then I'd imagine there will be a reduction in landlords using their service.
I think the incentive is not E500 each but for5? Maybe you can get the report up?
Graces7 is offline  
06-11-2018, 15:01   #27
cruizer101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin/Limerick
Posts: 1,894
I can't find where I saw the details but it is 500 each but gets paid after place 5 so get 2,500.
cruizer101 is offline  
06-11-2018, 15:07   #28
power pants
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Thanks. Your post says it all..I was discriminated against as some here are advocating. Calling folk on HAP lazy? Pensioners and disabled need a home.

Yes,more houses are needed but that takes time. Helping HAPfolk not be turned away with winter ahead is very needful.

I narrowly avoided being homeless this time last year..been an excellent tenant manyyears

Well if you are NOT working and on hap , yes you are lazy

Obviously I don’t include pensioners and some people with disabilities. Then again so many wasters claim disability with their impossible to prove mental issues

Just think it’s wrong that there should be any incentive to be paid to estate agents to house these

Renting is tough for everyone not just the lazy
power pants is offline  
06-11-2018, 15:52   #29
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,694
Agent is definitely pulling a scam. If they take €500 from the got they are not allowed charge you a fee. Point this out to them.
Claw Hammer is offline  
06-11-2018, 15:55   #30
tvjunki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 89
So now those that cannot or do not want to apply for Hap will be discriminated.
tvjunki is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search